GDT: ECF: Game 4 - New York Rangers @ Florida Panthers, 8pm ET, ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Was going to post this in PGT but that's closed to the GDT being open so I'll put this here.

Miller HAS to be better, particularly on the PK. I was focused on his egregious blunder on the second PK goal but that first PK goal had 2-3 moments of cringe.

First, fails to clear (many of our D are guilty of this). Had he peeked over his shoulder he'd see he had Mika open 5 feet away in the low slot- the Panther player covering the slot option was heading towards the boards anticipating a rushed clear attempt. Not the worst mistake as a quick clearing attempt around the boards does often work off a FO on the PK. That's kind of a Fox level of awareness needed so he gets a pass for this first mistake.
1716905119643.png

Then presses an already covered Florida forward leaving Barkov available for a pass downlow. Just a poor decision trying to force a turn over that was not there instead of waiting for Florida to make a mistake and clear it then. Mika was in solid position, the only outlet would be to the nearside point followed by either a dump around the boards or a risky pass to the other point, or mayyyyybe straight to the far side point though it looked like CK was anticipating that. Really no great options if Miller doesn't overcommit.
1716905290714.png

Then for the kicker Miller reaches out with his stick causing him to lose all momentum, instead of maybe taking the body which might have had a bit of an impact on the shot
1716905411454.png

I feel like I'm usually making these types of posts about Trouba....

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
This feels too soon. Would be nice to have an extra day off here.

Would like to see the guys play significantly better tonight but that’s a lot to ask given the injuries and I’m sure fatigue.

Florida’s feeling it too though.

A win tonight would be AMAZING!
no travel today so no extra day is fine.

not a fan of how they handled last game though, travel and earlier start and no extra day. that was bullshit.

it’s going to be 1 day of rest for the rest of the series

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It just looks more like destiny, the longer this playoff run goes. To be outplayed most of this series, to have Panarin play like a dirt poor version of Kaapo Kakko, to have Kaapo Kakko play like a post season Panarin, to not scoring a PP goal,.... this most improbable run, seems more and more like destiny awaits.

We haven't played our best, our top skaters have been mostly ineffective, at times we can't complete a simple pass or chip and yet we lead this series 2-1. Hanging in there is an understatement. Florida has given it their absolute best, and yet we still persist to make a game of it with a subpar effort.

If you ask me, this is strong sign of a Stanley Cup contender. A team that does whatever's necessary to get the win. Even if it isn't pretty, they get the job done.
Yes sir. Seems to me that people just don't get how difficult this is. Not a walk in Central Park. Remember those 2 months when we were playing "below standards" AKA "dogshit", we were approx. a .500 team during that span. Not 10 games under mind you.
Amazing early season and amazing finish. Gave them the jump for Prez. trophy, and finished it off with a flourish. We're going through some of that now, obviously NOT playing our best. But, when push comes to shove, they find ways to win. This has been going on ALL SEASON, and now need just 2 more wins, and then another 4.

• Love
Reactions: ohbaby

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I heard that line in 1994 and it had been over 20 years already for me then. You win and then you want to win again. What you say sounds good but then when it's been another 30 for me it feels way past due again some teams have won multiple times in between. But anyway even if we win tonight and we still have to win again to knock Florida out so everything is premature now.

The Rangers will need to play better tonight than they did on Sunday and Igor might need to play better too. Florida is not going to want to lose this one. They'll really be behind the 8 ball if they do. I expect their best game in this series is going to be tonight.

We do need Fox, Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad to start putting points up. It would help if the refs start calling penalties against the Panthers and not just us.
It would help if we had some sustained pressure. Last game it was one and done, or one and score. Took advantage of minimal opportunities, whereas Florida was all up in our zone for minutes at a time it seemed. If we don't get sustained pressure, there will be few calls in our favor. Have to force Florida into being tired, and desperate. That's when we'll get a call here or there.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Until we get some O-zone time, we won't be getting any calls. Infractions come from defending.
Again, u beat me to it. Just read this post. Catching up here, and adding my 2 cents. Great minds think alike. We've been doing this for a while now, that I've noticed. Maybe U2? (Not the group, lol)

• Love
Reactions: ohbaby

Stugots

YNWA
Jan 10, 2009
Upper West Side
During the regular season the Panthers were second worst in the league with 5.01 penalties per 60 minutes.

Against TBL they took 4.75 penalties per 60 and against Boston they took 4.5 per 60.

So far against the Rangers? Only 3 penalties per 60. Funny how they’re somehow taking 1-2 less penalties per 60 than they have all season long and in rounds 1 and 2 of the playoffs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Until we get some O-zone time, we won't be getting any calls. Infractions come from defending.

So much fuss made last game over Trouba's elbow. Okay....it was pretty bad. But did you see the high hit Bennett put on Lindgren?----that was pretty bad too and that was behind our net. Maybe more penalties happens in the defensive zone but that's not everything.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Okposo & Lorentz coming in for Lomborg and Cousins. Inspirational tactic by media darling Paul Mo.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
During the regular season the Panthers were second worst in the league with 5.01 penalties per 60 minutes.

Against TBL they took 4.75 penalties per 60 and against Boston they took 4.5 per 60.

So far against the Rangers? Only 3 penalties per 60. Funny how they’re somehow taking 1-2 less penalties per 60 than they have all season long and in rounds 1 and 2 of the playoffs.
Being into analytics is a learning process that never ends. There's always more nuance.

As some of you know, I was beating the drum hard when the playoffs started that "actually, penalties go way up in the playoffs" and therefore, the game is called tighter.

I don't remember who it was, but somebody responded to me "yes, the number of calls tends to go up [not in this case, hey ho] but in the playoffs, teams are committing like three penalties a shift." So, proportionately, the game is still being called way looser.

Nobody has ever been more right. Kudos to that guy.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Warning to get out of the way:

Your mod team here on the Rangers board moderates the Rangers board. Nobody is saying you can't participate on the mains or any other board, but keep in mind that you do so at your own risk.

We mostly have no idea what goes on out there, much less able to do anything about it. If you are antagonized on another forum, ignore it or report it.

This is also not your platform to complain about what happened elsewhere in regards to moderating. It's not our responsibility.

We've received too many complaints recently about getting warned on the mains or on the Devils board. To be quite honest, it's the first we're hearing about it. We have jurisdictions.

When you participate on the main boards, you're not in a place that's moderated the way this one is. When you participate on the Devils board, stop and don't.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Was going to post this in PGT but that's closed to the GDT being open so I'll put this here.

Miller HAS to be better, particularly on the PK. I was focused on his egregious blunder on the second PK goal but that first PK goal had 2-3 moments of cringe.

First, fails to clear (many of our D are guilty of this). Had he peeked over his shoulder he'd see he had Mika open 5 feet away in the low slot- the Panther player covering the slot option was heading towards the boards anticipating a rushed clear attempt. Not the worst mistake as a quick clearing attempt around the boards does often work off a FO on the PK. That's kind of a Fox level of awareness needed so he gets a pass for this first mistake.
View attachment 876595

Then presses an already covered Florida forward leaving Barkov available for a pass downlow. Just a poor decision trying to force a turn over that was not there instead of waiting for Florida to make a mistake and clear it then. Mika was in solid position, the only outlet would be to the nearside point followed by either a dump around the boards or a risky pass to the other point, or mayyyyybe straight to the far side point though it looked like CK was anticipating that. Really no great options if Miller doesn't overcommit.
View attachment 876598

Then for the kicker Miller reaches out with his stick causing him to lose all momentum, instead of maybe taking the body which might have had a bit of an impact on the shot
View attachment 876599

I feel like I'm usually making these types of posts about Trouba....
There's very few defenders I'd trust with the kind of play you're suggesting in screenshot 1.

If Verhaeghe pivots, that's a grade A scoring chance because there's no way Igor expects Miller to yeet the puck to the slot.

The athletic now puts us as slight favorites to win the series, but still a lower chance of winning the cup than FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad