GDT: ECF: Game 4 - New York Rangers @ Florida Panthers, 8pm ET, ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
This is exactly what I wrote last night. People see him not scoring in this series and go all waah waah but what they fail to see is that he is keeping the other teams best player off the score sheet. The same player some posters here want on the team instead of Mika.

Once again, why do you guys think Paul Maurice decided to not ice Barkovs line against Mika after game 2? Barkov has all of 2 points in this series and both of them came in game 3 when he got away from Mika. For all of the great offence Trocheck provided this playoffs so far he is not on Mikas level when it comes to defence.

Mika is showing great leadership and unselfishness by providing what the team needs to win and if that means less scoring for him individually then so be it.

I dont know about you guys but that is what I want from my #1 center.
What's his excuse on the PP?

I get that he's good defensively, really good, but a shutdown 3rd line of guys paid around 4m each can do that job. Guys getting paid 8.5 million should be expected to do more than that.

Listen, if his line and Barkov's were just cancelling out, and he was making up for it on the PP, we'd all be thrilled. But he's not doing that. So plenty of us are not thrilled.
Now I'm not hating on him, I'm saying we need MORE from him. Because we do.

Was going to post this in PGT but that's closed to the GDT being open so I'll put this here.

Miller HAS to be better, particularly on the PK. I was focused on his egregious blunder on the second PK goal but that first PK goal had 2-3 moments of cringe.

First, fails to clear (many of our D are guilty of this). Had he peeked over his shoulder he'd see he had Mika open 5 feet away in the low slot- the Panther player covering the slot option was heading towards the boards anticipating a rushed clear attempt. Not the worst mistake as a quick clearing attempt around the boards does often work off a FO on the PK. That's kind of a Fox level of awareness needed so he gets a pass for this first mistake.
View attachment 876595

Then presses an already covered Florida forward leaving Barkov available for a pass downlow. Just a poor decision trying to force a turn over that was not there instead of waiting for Florida to make a mistake and clear it then. Mika was in solid position, the only outlet would be to the nearside point followed by either a dump around the boards or a risky pass to the other point, or mayyyyybe straight to the far side point though it looked like CK was anticipating that. Really no great options if Miller doesn't overcommit.
View attachment 876598

Then for the kicker Miller reaches out with his stick causing him to lose all momentum, instead of maybe taking the body which might have had a bit of an impact on the shot
View attachment 876599

I feel like I'm usually making these types of posts about Trouba....
Yeah, at least two Panther goals were due to Miller miscues. Hopefully he's better in game 4.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Correct me if I am wrong but, think about how many teams had a 2-0 lead and won the 3rd. Like we did vs Carolina. So, those wins have to be included, right? So, wouldn't that ADD to the total of 66% winning the series? If true, I think that 66% could be a little misleading.
All in all though, it means we only have to be 2-2 from here on out. Whereas Florida has to win 3 of 4. Big difference.
In a coinflip battle of heads vs tails, if heads is up 2-1, it will win the series 68.75% of the time. All these stats basically boil down to "you win more often if you have a lead"

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
Have y'all been doing your training for your beer drinking? This is going to be a tough run were facing here to the cup.

Ps get your beers on ice and plan your snack menu.

1716908636082.png

Reactions: bl02

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
Close these assholes out in 5.

That's the best way to go into the next round as healthy as possible against these attempt-to-injure cadets.

Sure, they're a skilled team and can smother you on the forecheck. Blah blah who f-in cares? They also make mistakes, have lapses, and are very beatable. Just go at them and the holes and deficiencies expose.

They're down. Kick 'em in the head, stomp on their throats, and close this out.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Will be there with my son with my lucky shirt and jersey on, and I promise I won’t have my voice tomorrow after I scream my guts out in support! LGR!!!
You won't have to, too much anyway. Their "Let's Go Panthers", rallying cry really sounds like "Let's Go Rangers". Or, at least it did to me. No worries, you won't be the only Rangers fan there, trust me. Couln'd believe my eyes, when I saw someone wearing a Trouba jersey. Was that you @Machinehead ? lmao.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Imagine we got a game with 6 power plays and the other team got 2? The hf boards meltdown would be hilarious.

It'll never happen.

Imagine if we were outscoring the Panthers 3-1 but getting outscored 5 on 5 we'd be called Powerplay merchants till the cows come home. Instead crickets.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Haven’t seen this posted anywhere yet and figured everyone should see how vesey was actually injured given the trouba uproar.

Did not see this until now, so he first interferes with Vesey and then elbows him in the back of the head.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Haven’t seen this posted anywhere yet and figured everyone should see how vesey was actually injured given the trouba uproar.

Yeah he injured him with a hit with puck no puck near and then little later he targeted his injured shoulder again (the latter being legal but a scumbag move)

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
PP needs just get shots on goal from the point, look for high slot tips from Trochek or low tips from Kreider. Then gain control of the loose pucks and you can get cute. Florida is making the right reads and pressing our guys while simultaneously covering the closest passing options. I hate to say it but some Mika one timer goals would really force Florida to cheat over to him which they currently do not do (until he gets the puck and then they're all over him).

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Having won two in a row gives a nice warm feeling but I can't help but feel Florida will get back into this series. It's not gonna be over in 5.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Get a win tonight and do what they couldnt in Game 5 against the Canes and close them out. Im speaking this into existence because im going to my first game of the playoffs Thursday, and I would really like to not bug my wife about watching Game 6 while we are out east this weekend for our anniversary.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Get a win tonight and do what they couldnt in Game 5 against the Canes and close them out. Im speaking this into existence because im going to my first game of the playoffs Thursday, and I would really like to not bug my wife about watching Game 6 while we are out east this weekend for our anniversary.
I would love the time off.

I used to hate waiting for the games. Now I'm about to be 33 next month and I'm f***ing tired already.

Plus, I wouldn't complain about nine days of no-strings-attached basking in "I'm going to the Finals."

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Interesting note from the NY Post paywall newsletter:

How to evaluate a scoreless draw​

Zibanejad made a fair point in response to questions about his line’s struggles on offense, noting he, Kreider and Filip Chytil have played Aleksander Barkov’s line to a 0-0 draw during their shared minutes in the series.

The Panthers have generated the majority of chances in those crucial minutes: The Rangers account for just 35.71 percent of expected goals over 23:06 when Zibanejad and Barkov have shared the ice at five-on-five.

But there’s something to be said for the fact that the scoresheet itself has been even, though the Rangers of course want better than that.

“It’s a fine balance,” Zibanejad said. “Beause it’s good to be responsible defensively. When you don’t score, it’s not a good thing offensively. You’re playing against a guy that can do both and a line can do both. So I think at the end of the day, as long as you get the wins, it’s obviously on an individual standpoint, you want to do whatever you can to play your best game, to contribute. But some games, at times, you just have to be able to value and more see what the scenarios in the game or the shifts within the game, how they are.

“We know their line, and obviously Barkov won the Selke [Trophy], too. So that part of his game obviously makes it harder for us, but at the same time, he’s been scoring at a pretty high rate, too. For us, we’re not trying to go out there and play 0-0, but at the same time, if we don’t get the offense that we want and expect, then we have to make sure that we have a defensive responsibility to be accountable to as well.
“Because of that, the suggestion [that] we just try to go more on the offensive track and shoot for offense, I don’t know if that’s gonna be the best for us.”
Yeah so, I get that. But isn't that being passive? Being HAPPY that as long as you don't score, we're okay with not scoring ourselves? THIS is the main reason as to WHY it usually comes down to which team has the better specialty teams and 3rd and 4th lines. The focus isn't on them. Does Florida think the same way? Hmmmm.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
2 wins is the best revenge. Let Florida be the fake tough guys running around after the whistle.
The idiot refs better be ready to make some calls since Florida will be running around looking to hurt people. The fact that it was 6-2 PP's in favor of Florida last game and 16-10 for the series is an absolute f***ing joke.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Lundqvist Rangers would get blown out in this game. The defense would look like the keystone cops and Lundqvist would look like he never played hockey before. Let's prove we're different, game 3 against the Canes went a long way to say that and ditto the Capitals series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad