Ducks & Kings to Unveil New Logos

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't understand why they're so quick to abandon the logo that they won two Cups with only a decade ago. Maybe it's not the best logo, but very fond memories are attached to it. Instead, it feels like Rob and Luc want to go back to the team's "glory days" when they were on the team, wearing the chevy logo, and won nothing.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I wonder if the Kings would have still gone back to this logo if Gretzky wasn't associated with it. IMO it's the least interesting era in terms of uniforms. Big swing-and-a-miss by not going back to the purple and gold, or at the very least, including purple.

Reactions: DrandonBudinsky

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Kings updated logo is an improvement on the last one for sure, but I can't see why they don't just go with the original crown as the logo.
Crown from their early days or modern crown?

I slapped on their recent crown to the purple jerseys just to see how they’d look:
9EBA6C91-026D-4FCF-8F06-08CE633439A7.png

…And for curiosity’s sake, if anyone ever wondered how “burger king” would look with the modern crown. Here is the alternate universe against “forum blue”:
348FE08D-FF5A-431F-B50F-FB130CFDB2E1.png

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't understand why they're so quick to abandon the logo that they won two Cups with only a decade ago. Maybe it's not the best logo, but very fond memories are attached to it. Instead, it feels like Rob and Luc want to go back to the team's "glory days" when they were on the team, wearing the chevy logo, and won nothing.
Money. Time to sell more jerseys.

There wasn't a reason to change them in the late 90's but they mostly stunk for a good amount of time and were moving into a new building...somewhat new ownership etc.

Even the change in 2011--preceded by it being a 3rd jersey--was calling back to the Chevy logo with the colors and helmet stickers.

I think the Chevy era was the first time the Kings mattered and the branding was very popular. I still love it because it reminds me of that era when I first became a fan.

As for moving on from the home plate logo...it feels like they've refreshed/changed every decade or so since acquiring Gretzky so I do think money, as usual, is the main reason. But to be fair, they haven't won jack shit in 10 seasons in the home plate sweaters and there are still only two players (excluding Lewis) on the team that were part of the fond memories.

I'm definitely ready for a change. I do think this is a better logo than the home plate one but it is still disappointing to not see much creativity put into it. Love them or hate them, these S.O.B's added glitter and a lion with sunglasses on it and the stupid wordmark instead of a bottom stripe once upon a time. Now it's like, here is the original Gretzky-era logo with a few minor tweaks. See you in the pro shop for $299 a jersey.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
While I agree that the program was a push to get third jerseys in 1996, I have to also say that it was a “test market” of sorts for teams to try out-of-the-box ideas to update their looks to consider rebrands. Kind of like what reverse retros are these days

This proved to work so well for the Rangers that they adopted the Liberty jerseys full time as alternates. Hey look, it’s Luc!
View attachment 884817
For an Original Six team, that is highly rare to go this bold. (The flipside is the Pooh bear wasn’t a hit )

Respectfully, not entirely sure your statement that the teams had little input is accurate. There’s behind the scenes shots of the Rangers’ GM at the time,Neil Smith, with designers and he was really involved with the final Liberty third jersey design and roll out. These were just some of the designs he nixed before choosing the Liberty design.
View attachment 884828
View attachment 884829

And as this article states the Kings worked with a design firm to update their branding, so I think teams had final say. It’s just that the NHL asked some teams to slap their crests on to jerseys that had gradients or bolder design elements.

View attachment 884821
yes we've all seen the icethetics video on it. It doesn't change my mind that the Kings and other teams had full creative control over the designs, like you and Chris creamer have said, they had to get gradients out to market because the NHL wanted to cash in on the ability to sublimate designs.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
There's really no difference...Most fans other than LA fans would never even know they changed it...Probably a marketing thing to help them sell more jerseys.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If we had to stick with black and white, I was hoping it would look something like this:

IMG_3050.PNG

The classic Forum Blue and Gold jerseys were also incredible, I wish we would have adopted these:

0212-lak10t-doughty.jpg

If we wanted something more modern, the first set of reverse retros were pretty much perfect:

GettyImages-1300200094.jpg

But instead, we're probably just going to get this lego block logo and more shiny helmets.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Because the logo and jerseys are awful and the only reason it made it as long as it did was because they won the stanley cup in it

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Didn't like that LA logo much before, don't like it much now either
Pretty boring and I don't really like wordmarks
A crown would have been better

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Bring back all the 90's logo's and jerseys

I like the older crown more
Be careful what you wish for...

1989-90 Toronto Maple Leafs - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1989-90 Washington Capitals - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (yes, these are awful)

1989-90 Winnipeg Jets - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (yes, these are awful and boring)

1990-91 Winnipeg Jets - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (and so are these, poor Jets have never had good jerseys)

1991-92 Minnesota North Stars - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1992-93 Hartford Whalers - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (severe downgrade)

1992-93 Tampa Bay Lightning - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (another team who has never had a good jersey)

1995 Calgary Flames - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1995 St. Louis Blues - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1995-96 New York Islanders - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (Kill it with fire, kill the RR with fire, never let it see the light of day again, let alone the ice)

1998-99 Nashville Predators - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

And that's not even covering all the horrible 3rds that came in in '96 and after, and all the teams that went with navy and black (later 90's for that, of course), or any of the more liked jerseys that I personally really don't (black/red Sabres, late 90s Sharks with the weird stripes, gradient-RoboPen, navy/maroon Orca Canucks, and others I am sure I'm forgetting...)

The 90s were not the jersey heaven people think, it was just relatively nice looking (especially early) :skeptic:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If we had to stick with black and white, I was hoping it would look something like this:

View attachment 884901

The classic Forum Blue and Gold jerseys were also incredible, I wish we would have adopted these:
I think that would have worked for the black and silver. You see a crown so it's going to be something like Kings, Monarchs, Royals, etc....

Honestly, any of the teams that changed colors, be it LA from Purple/Yellow to Black/Silver, Van from Blue/Green to Black/Yellow/Red and back, Buffalo from Blue/yellow to Black/Red and back, need to just pick 1 color set and go with it moving forward. Too much back and forth in the colors.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Crown from their early days or modern crown?

I slapped on their recent crown to the purple jerseys just to see how they’d look:
View attachment 884887

…And for curiosity’s sake, if anyone ever wondered how “burger king” would look with the modern crown. Here is the alternate universe against “forum blue”:
View attachment 884889
I love this logo on the jersey, I’d love to see this look return at some point. Apologies, not sure why it’s posting a link and not the photo!

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Be careful what you wish for...

1989-90 Toronto Maple Leafs - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1989-90 Washington Capitals - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (yes, these are awful)

1989-90 Winnipeg Jets - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (yes, these are awful and boring)

1990-91 Winnipeg Jets - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (and so are these, poor Jets have never had good jerseys)

1991-92 Minnesota North Stars - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1992-93 Hartford Whalers - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (severe downgrade)

1992-93 Tampa Bay Lightning - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (another team who has never had a good jersey)

1995 Calgary Flames - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1995 St. Louis Blues - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

1995-96 New York Islanders - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (Kill it with fire, kill the RR with fire, never let it see the light of day again, let alone the ice)

1998-99 Nashville Predators - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

And that's not even covering all the horrible 3rds that came in in '96 and after, and all the teams that went with navy and black (later 90's for that, of course), or any of the more liked jerseys that I personally really don't (black/red Sabres, late 90s Sharks with the weird stripes, gradient-RoboPen, navy/maroon Orca Canucks, and others I am sure I'm forgetting...)

The 90s were not the jersey heaven people think, it was just relatively nice looking (especially early) :skeptic:
The Tkachuk-era Jets sweaters are awesome. Nice, clean logo. The "J" is also a hockey stick and it acts as part of one of the "N's" in Winnipeg. Little jet flying through the logo...it's great.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Here's a bit of a clearer mock-up of the Ducks logo based on the jersey leaks/teasers.

- Orange eye
- Orange sticks
- Gold accents in lieu of silver
- Removed the extra striping around the puck
- Assuming the Orange and Gold pantones are the same as their current brand

iskSgsm.png
orange eyes looks so ugly

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Here's a bit of a clearer mock-up of the Ducks logo based on the jersey leaks/teasers.

- Orange eye
- Orange sticks
- Gold accents in lieu of silver
- Removed the extra striping around the puck
- Assuming the Orange and Gold pantones are the same as their current brand

iskSgsm.png
Makes me want to buy creamsicles.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This sounds promising. Still a shame about the Ducks not going back to Mighty Ducks colours as well, but at least it sounds like they're getting rid of the weird UFO logo thing. That's a significant step in the right direction, probably. Though "modernizing" things often tends to make them worse.

Kings as well, really needed to just go back to the Chevrolet Logo again. It was blatantly obvious. So much so that they were rocking it in the playoffs...though possibly partially just to troll the Oilers about Gretzky i assume. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad