Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I just don't get this from a Preds perspective. Moving Ellis, Ekholm or Josi would be dumb. We aren't deep enough at D anymore.

The ONLY way I would consider it is if we throw the entire farm at Shatts in the summer and hopefully get him. That's the only way I would do this. Kulikov or Alzner are maybes as well.

I would much rather move Fiala + something for a different center/upgrade on wing, at this point. We lose the next 8 games and my opinion may change.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I just don't get this from a Preds perspective. Moving Ellis, Ekholm or Josi would be dumb. We aren't deep enough at D anymore.

The ONLY way I would consider it is if we throw the entire farm at Shatts in the summer and hopefully get him. That's the only way I would do this. Kulikov or Alzner are maybes as well.

I would much rather move Fiala + something for a different center/upgrade on wing, at this point. We lose the next 8 games and my opinion may change.

Moving Josi would be dumb, yes. Moving Ellis would give me pause, and I don't know if I'd move him for Duchene. Moving Ekholm, though? I think we could survive that, especially if it got us a center who would essentially give us a 1A/1B center situation and a fairly young one at that. We have some offensive guys in the pipeline, and I'm not sure it would be terribly difficult to find a #4 defender elsewhere.

So while I agree that moving a defenseman isn't the best idea, if the right deal comes along it's perfectly fine in my mind.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Backes, Parise, Suter, Lucic, to name a few of the top of my head. Tavaras will be another one maybe. Just take a look every year at the pending UFA free agent signings. Like I said over and over again... there is a 50/50 chance Duchene resigns with the team that acquires him (if traded). It's risky to acquire Duchene and give up premium elite level talent when he can decide to walk after his contract.

Lucic and Backes left mainly because of money. If the Habs want Duchene and will extend him it really isn't a risk. It's only a risk if the Habs are cap strapped or wouldn't go 6 or 7 years on Duchene if he wanted it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Moving Josi would be dumb, yes. Moving Ellis would give me pause, and I don't know if I'd move him for Duchene. Moving Ekholm, though? I think we could survive that, especially if it got us a center who would essentially give us a 1A/1B center situation and a fairly young one at that. We have some offensive guys in the pipeline, and I'm not sure it would be terribly difficult to find a #4 defender elsewhere.

I, personally, am not a big Ekholm fan. He frequently makes good plays, but also makes a lot of bad ones (like "what was he thinking?" bad). He's a solid #4, but he's occasionally hyped as a "stud" and held back from being higher in the depth chart because of the defensemen ahead of him, and I just don't see it. That doesn't mean that he's a spare part and that he wouldn't be missed, but, like you said, I think that they could survive his loss, especially if it addressed a real need elsewhere. In other words, they don't need Ekholm as badly as they need a 2C, IMO. I see that as particularly the case in the near future, since the organization has some guys who might step up and fill his shoes while who will fill the shoes of the aging Ribeiro and Fisher is a big question mark.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So the Preds are "interested" in Matt Duchense....so are 30 other teams in the NHL.....but can't see the Preds with the assets to acquire him unless they're prepared to include either Subban or Johansen in any deal.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
I think Beaulieu would be a great fit in Colorado. He's a swift-skating lefty that can play a Top-4 role immediately. He also has more room for development. I'm proposing the Avs receive...

- Plekanec (short-term #2C or trade bait at deadline for another good prospect/pick)

- Scherbak (projected top-6 forward)

- Beaulieu (immediate top-4 D with an outside shot at developing into a legit top-pairing D)

- Juulsen (projected top-4 D)

- 1st round pick

I think this offer is more than fair for Duchene. The Avs free up a large contract, get plenty of depth, a 1st rounder, and shakeup the core of the team. The addition of Beaulieu also gives Sakic an opportunity to deal Barrie for another big piece or additional picks/pieces. Beaulieu could step into Barrie's role on the PP today if needed - might not be as dynamic but he can handle the role and move the puck.

I posted something similar to this on the habs thread and got chewed up for it. If we don't want to give up sergachev I think we would need to pony up an offer like this to get him before the dead line. But I might be wrong seems like every one has a different opinion on duchenes value and what it would take it get him.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Lucic and Backes left mainly because of money. If the Habs want Duchene and will extend him it really isn't a risk. It's only a risk if the Habs are cap strapped or wouldn't go 6 or 7 years on Duchene if he wanted it.

Well, he's 26, so young it's easy..

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
So the Preds are "interested" in Matt Duchense....so are 30 other teams in the NHL.....but can't see the Preds with the assets to acquire him unless they're prepared to include either Subban or Johansen in any deal.

There are still only 30 teams in the league, so only 28 other teams would be interested unless you're, for some reason, counting Colorado.

Duchene isn't going to fetch Subban, and why would they ask for Johansen? The price that seems to be agreeable is a top four defenseman, a high quality prospect, and a first (though, as picks usually go, that could be a lower pick depending on the first two assets). So take Johansen completely out. Neither Subban nor Josi is going the other way. Nashville doesn't want him that bad, but that's OK because Colorado isn't looking for either of those players per se. One of Ekholm or Ellis, preferably Ekholm, plus Fiala (or maybe Fabbro if Poile is willing, though I'd prefer that didn't happen) and a first or second would likely be a package that would get some good discussion going between the teams. Whether or not another team beats it would be the biggest hang up, shy of Colorado just deciding they are keeping Duchene.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I, personally, am not a big Ekholm fan. He frequently makes good plays, but also makes a lot of bad ones (like "what was he thinking?" bad). He's a solid #4, but he's occasionally hyped as a "stud" and held back from being higher in the depth chart because of the defensemen ahead of him, and I just don't see it. That doesn't mean that he's a spare part and that he wouldn't be missed, but, like you said, I think that they could survive his loss, especially if it addressed a real need elsewhere. In other words, they don't need Ekholm as badly as they need a 2C, IMO. I see that as particularly the case in the near future, since the organization has some guys who might step up and fill his shoes while who will fill the shoes of the aging Ribeiro and Fisher is a big question mark.

Ekholm has been less impressive this year than he was last year. I'm not sure what happened, but regardless he's still a very good second pairing guy. He looked pretty close to a number 2 last year. The risk is in gambling on which is indicative of his future. Was last season the fluke, or is it this season?

But yeah I do agree that Nashville would survive his loss better than any of the other three top four. I also know that if Ekholm is the guy then they will have to really spice things up with the prospect, which, unfortunately, makes Fabbro more likely.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Ekholm+Fabbro as a base is something I mentioned on the Avs board a few days ago, and something I'd be alright with. According to SEPH on Avs board, McKenzie said on NBCSN tonight that there is a lot of interest in Duchene, but the price is high - NHL player, "A" prospect, and a 1st rounder.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Ekholm+Fabbro as a base is something I mentioned on the Avs board a few days ago, and something I'd be alright with. According to SEPH on Avs board, McKenzie said on NBCSN tonight that there is a lot of interest in Duchene, but the price is high - NHL player, "A" prospect, and a 1st rounder.

IMO, my OP gives the Avs that.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Think a deal can be made between Avs and Nashville. Nashville really need another very good center to be competetive going forward. Ribeiro and Fisher are both getting old. Nashville should go after Duchene, expose Neal and try to sign Oshie in the summer for example. Neal isnt worth resigning for 6 mill imo next season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Think a deal can be made between Avs and Nashville. Nashville really need another very good center to be competetive going forward. Ribeiro and Fisher are both getting old. Nashville should go after Duchene, expose Neal and try to sign Oshie in the summer for example. Neal isnt worth resigning for 6 mill imo next season.

Calgary is knocking and wants a RW, so instead of exposing Neal, why not trade him to Calgary?

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

Guy who before his injury was on pace for around 40 goals isn't worth 6 million? Not to mention that exposing or trading him would just create another hole that MAYBE could be filled with a FA.

:help:

And apparently Avs turned down an offer from the Preds that included Girard.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Preds offered Girard for Duchene. Sure there was more going the other way, but it sure looks like there is actual fire here.

Love to move Fabbro or Carrier + Fiala + something for Duchene, but doubt that gets it done.

In theory, if you do this deal, do the Preds go out and try to get Kulikov?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Preds offered Girard for Duchene. Sure there was more going the other way, but it sure looks like there is actual fire here.

Love to move Fabbro or Carrier + Fiala + something for Duchene, but doubt that gets it done.

I went over and checked your board out to see the source of this...is the source for that claim this...?

Not sure if I immediately accept that as fact. I'm fairly dubious of all non-McKenzie / Lebrun / Friedman / Lavoie type sources.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

isn't Kulikov pretty terrible though? I mean Buffalo need more lefties and are willing to ship him out.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I went over and checked your board out to see the source of this...is the source for that claim this...?

Not sure if I immediately accept that as fact. I'm fairly dubious of all non-McKenzie / Lebrun / Friedman / Lavoie type sources.

Dans Les Coulisses is a website that publishes mostly fake stories regarding the Montreal Canadiens. It appears they're branching out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad