Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I would be shocked if the package they get is more than

Top Pair defensive prospect, 2nd/3rd line prospect, 1st Round pick/top 6 forward prospect, cap dump.

I don't see a contender giving up top 4 D/top 6 talent to acquire him. Would be counter-productive.

As far as the Preds go, I would say

Fabbro, Aberg/Sissons, 1st/Fiala, and Ribiero could get it done. 3 long term assets and a center to plug a hole for a year.

HabsFan1994

Feb 1, 2017

This is the same guy who broke the Radulov signing a good 5h before anyone else last july.

That.

Plus the fact that David Poile made an official offer (Samuel Girard + ? + 1st rounder) that Sakic refused because he's in serious talks with another unknown team. It can make us dream.

Our cup window closes in two years max. Yes, Sergachev will probably a top-2, potentially elite. But he'll reach his peak at 24-25 years old, in 5-6 years. Price will be 34-35 years old, our window will be closed for some years by then. That's why we need to be all-in NOW. Sergachev won't help us now, while Duchene will. We'll be closer to the cup than we were in the last 20 years (withthe exception of the magical 09-10 run).

If Bergevin wants to win, he need to do it now, by making the move than will bring the team so close to the cup that he'll be able to see his reflection in it.

To Colorado: Plekanec + Sergachev + Andrighetto + 1st rounder

To Montreal: Duchene + 3rd rounder

That'd make our top-6 look like this:

Pacioretty-Duchene-Radulov
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

This top-6 is the best we'd have in the last 20 years, and the one who would bring us closer to the cup than we have been since '93 (again, make exception of the '09-10 run).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Aves would rather a defensive prospect or guy already in the NHL but near MacKinnon's age.

One way to restock the defense for the Aves it to acquire Girard, Ellis, and maybe a 1st round pick for Duchene. Sounds about close in value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Exactly... Most GM's are laughing at the asking price because Sakic is trying to set the bar really high with expectations it will be lowered but he's banking on other teams bidding over top of each other. And all the GM's interested are giving low ball offers and insisting Sakic call them back if there are any offers greater than theirs. Should be interesting to see if Duchene is actually traded at the deadline. We all know there will be no shortage of offers that's for sure!

Guys like Duchene are not easy to acquire and his 2.5 years left on his contract is just about the right time to trade him so the value don't go lower. I'm still surprised or wondering why the Aves just don't keep him.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

Nashville clearly could use Duchene , but I don't think any of their D prospects are blue chip types.

So for me it leaves us with:
Carolina - Can afford to move Hanifin. Duchene would be a perfect fit for them.
Montreal - They could afford to move Juulsen or Sergachyov.

NYI - Could move Pulock, but I'm not sure if they will make any big moves at this deadline.
STL - Same as NYI , not sure if they even want to make any big moves at deadline. Schmultz could be dangled.

So to me Carolina and Montreal are the most logical destinations. I see Montreal is a more likely team to go after Duchene just because Carolina rarely makes any big trades.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So the Preds are "interested" in Matt Duchense....so are 30 other teams in the NHL.....but can't see the Preds with the assets to acquire him unless they're prepared to include either Subban or Johansen in any deal.

Really? Subban or Johansen. That is way over payment! Duchene is good but that's not happening. It's clear to me the Aves are looking for young prospects on D. Girard is probably the guy Nashville is dangling in a package deal.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Dans Les Coulisses is a website that publishes mostly fake stories regarding the Montreal Canadiens. It appears they're branching out.

I don't think it's impossible, Colorado is looking for young def and Girard is having a great season. Yet I think Sakic want a more established d-men. Anyway it was rejected and he was part of a package not just Girard.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think it's impossible, Colorado is looking for young def and Girard is having a great season. Yet I think Sakic want a more established d-men. Anyway it was rejected and he was part of a package not just Girard.

I don't think its impossible either, just that that source is trash and should be ignored.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The problem with the Habs is the only valuable piece they can realistically give up is Sergachev. Everyone else is kind of a dime a dozen prospect that every team has... and you dont give up Duchene for those types of players. I dont mean to crap on the Habs... but I'm sure you know what I mean. They have a lot of +'s, but lack bases.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem with the Habs is the only valuable piece they can realistically give up is Sergachev. Everyone else is kind of a dime a dozen prospect that every team has... and you dont give up Duchene for those types of players. I dont mean to crap on the Habs... but I'm sure you know what I mean. They have a lot of +'s, but lack bases.

What you just said is the exact reason why the Aves don't acquire a guy like Sergachev for Duchene. Because why? Most teams in the leauge do not have a guy like this to give. If they do, they only have one or two and they are worth way to much! I've said this a hundred times but Duchene's play on the ice is not in question here... it's his pending UFA status at the end of the 2019 season. Those who feel this does not affect his value are just completely wrong IMO. But hey, truth be told in the end once the deal is announced (if Duchene is traded).

McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, and future 1st and 2nd round picks as well as Gallagher are grod trade chips for a guy like Duchene and the contract he has left. Some say Beaulieu but not sure if the Aves are interested. I feel the Aves want guys closer to MacKinnon's age and under team RFA control for many seasons!

I read an article a few weeks back about 1st round draft picks in the MLB. I know it's not the same as the NHL but this is what the article said. The 1st round pick the Blue Jays will get for letting EE go is worth somewhere around $30M when you factor team control for the guy they will acquire and develop over his MLB career while they have team control. My point? If you really look at the value of these potential elite level prospects over the first 3-5 years of their NHL career and what they provide on the ice, it's staggering! First of all they are hard to acquire. Once you acquire them, you don't throw them away in a "hope trade" where the chances of the Habs winning the cup is still not great.

Last edited:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Lol if he goes to Montreal then Habs fans are going to be doing the same back-peddling that Sabres fans did about Zadorov in the ROR deal.

That certainly is not to say the Avs "won" the ROR deal...no Sabres fan would take that deal back, ROR is a stud. And that's not to say getting Serg means that the Avs win a Duchene deal with Montreal. It just means you Montreal fans are going to have to (and will, very quickly) come to terms with losing a Sergachyov if you get Duchene.

The spin after the deal happens will be so quick it'll make everybody's necks snap. You guys will get over losing Serg in 5 seconds flat.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol if he goes to Montreal then Habs fans are going to be doing the same back-peddling that Sabres fans did about Zadorov in the ROR deal.

That certainly is not to say the Avs "won" the ROR deal...no Sabres fan would take that deal back, ROR is a stud. And that's not to say getting means that the Avs win a Duchene deal with Montreal. It just means you Montreal fans are going to have to (and will, very quickly) come to terms with losing a Sergachyov if you get Duchene.

The spin after the deal happens will be so quick it'll make everybody's necks snap.

ROR was one year away from UFA. Buffalo negotiated a behind the scnenes deal where it became a sign and trade and assured the Sabres would have ROR for many seasons. Duchene is 2.5 seasons away from UFA. It's not the same situation... yet

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
ROR was one year away from UFA. Buffalo negotiated a behind the scnenes deal where it became a sign and trade and assured the Sabres would have ROR for many seasons. Duchene is 2.5 seasons away from UFA. It's not the same situation... yet

LOL WHAT? GMTM admitted that he had not had any discussions with ROR or his agent prior to the trade.

Solid effort though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think Beaulieu is being undervalued as part of a package for Duchene. Sakic wants a young top 4 D and that is what Beaulieu is, with some upside. Offensively he has picked it up quite a bit.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007

I simply don't see the Habs giving up Sergachev. He's their prize prospect and will be replacing Markov when the latter retires which is likely within two years or so. Furthermore, they have to sign Radulov and Galchenyuk which will eat up their cap space. In fact, I see them giving up Beaulieu to make room to sign both. The Habs aren't exactly deep up front and their defense is basically by committee. Who do you give up? To get Duchene, you create a hole somewhere else.

The Habs basically can't afford him in terms of assets and cap space. I don't see Sakic giving him away for picks and prospects. I don't see a deal here. My two cents...

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

You're not actually arguing that a guy who is 2.5 years from free agency should have less value than an impeding free agent are you? You have 2.5 years on a very good hockey team to leave a good impression on Duchene to re-sign after that 2.5 years is up. And unlike ROR, Duchene has never been an issue when it comes to contract negotiations.

What's next? Dude only has 4 years left on his contract and now that is going to limit his value?

If Montreal wants Duchene it will be for a long-term relationship and they will pay as such. He JUST turned 26 and is signed through 2019. There is no rental discount here, no matter how you want to spin it.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario

you seem really caught up on the 2.5 seasons away. Quick question, if Galchenyuk doesn't sign long term over the summer when would he become a UFA?

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
summer 2019 i believe

so possibly a UFA the same year as Matt Duchene.. Oh the horror, Galchenyuk's value is deteriorating by the minute. I kid of course, as he is clearly turning into a stud but poking fun at people who worry about Duchene contract in 2.5 years.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Fans will do anything to devalue a player that they're rumoured to be in on, and then if they get him a month later will parade around saying what a steal they got. (See ROR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad