Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Dreger with an agenda-ridden piece, and other GM's want Duchene at a bargain. Shocking.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Habs fans be like DD, Beaulieu and 1st for Duchene. Ahah. I'd keep Duchene. Sergachev has a lot of potential but is still unproven while Duchene is a 26 years #1 center that is good enough to play for Team Canada in the Olympics and the World Cup. Duchene for Sergachev + McCarron and first and I'd start to think about it.

That's the thing. Your team ISN'T looking at keeping Duchene. And if your team was doing well, then they would want to hold on to Duchene. But they're not; so they decided that they'd like very high end prospects and picks for the future. And they're getting those offers. So Sakic has to decide how badly he wants to rebuild or he risks shunning every offer he gets to waste Duchene in the system.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think Sakic is best served by waiting, even if it means eventually losing out on a big return or eventually losing Duchene for nothing altogether.

He's not producing like they want, but they aren't going to get an equivalent piece for him while he's slumped. Duchene is far from being a cancer, there's no rush to move him if they are best served by waiting.

I totally empathize with other GMs as well. Why give up a big piece for Duchene and open a hole in your roster if he isn't a big upgrade elsewhere.

At this point, I think the Avs might be best served by targeting another player in a slump for value rather than going after a prospect/young player that might be at the "peak" of their value.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
If that is reasonable or not depends on Sakic's definition of good young defenseman in this case, doesn't it?

Quite a few good defensemen i would not trade straight up for Duchene - see here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2183461

On the other hand take the top of the list out of the discussion and it is indeed reasonable.

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
That's the thing. Your team ISN'T looking at keeping Duchene. And if your team was doing well, then they would want to hold on to Duchene. But they're not; so they decided that they'd like very high end prospects and picks for the future. And they're getting those offers. So Sakic has to decide how badly he wants to rebuild or he risks shunning every offer he gets to waste Duchene in the system.

I don't understand. Where does it say he's getting those offers and shunning them?

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
The problem isnt just what Sakic wants but teams have to absorb that cap hit.
In todays NHL teams are not all spending to the cap limit and salary matters.
I don't blame Sakic for wanting the world but I still think that he is asking too much IMO.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Considering Edm got the good young d-man for Taylor Hall and everyone thought Oilers got ripped, maybe also asking for a solid prospect and/or a pick isn't out of line....

Personally, unless Duchene really wants out and is becoming a cancer to the team, I'd see him as part of the solution in Colorado so why not go big in your ask. He doesn't kill your core.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Beaulieu + DD + Ghetto + 1st vs Duchene ... then dream Sakic to get something higher ... you won't ...

I'm not an Avs fan but come on. DD is a salary dump, Ghetto cleared waivers so at best you are offering a very late first round in a weak draft and Beaulieu who is playing at best as a number 4 D.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
In terms of pure value, the avs were able to get even better value than this for ROR.

Seems unlikely they would settle for less when duchene is more valuable.
I might be wrong. I just wanted to show, from the stands, what players could be available in a trade involving Montreal.

That said, I'm not sure we can say Colorado received more in the O'Reilly trade...
Zadorov (stay at home D) + Grigorenko (3rd line material)+ Compher(we'll see)+ High 2nd round pick
FOR
O'Reilly + McGinn (3rd-4th line material).

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't blame Sakic for wanting the world but I still think that he is asking too much IMO.

Good point.

It will be hard to find a good fit when you're trying to get "futures" this season. Very few buyers have cap room.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Beaulieu + DD + Ghetto + 1st vs Duchene ... then dream Sakic to get something higher ... you won't ...

How generous of you to include a UFA cap dump and a player who passed waivers earlier this year.

HIGHLY doubt there isn't a better offer than this.
We got more than this for ROR.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dreger's an idiot and has zero contacts outside of Nonis

this is the typical vague crap he spews

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Are you saying the cap hit this year, or for future years?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
When was the last time a player like Duchene was available? Especially with a very reasonable contract like he has? No wonder the asking price is high. He's an elite 5v5 producer, a top 3 faceoff guy in the league, and can play all three forward positions. That's something every team in the league should be interested in.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Why should Duchene be moved for a mediocre prospect and a 1st? Makes no sense for Avs to do that. Ladd got that as a rental..... I fully understand Sakic. I also understand that its hard as hell to give up a young prospect defensemen who could potentially be a future top pair defensemen but you have to give up a player with alot of potential to get a player like Duchene. If you dont its just not worth it for Avs to trade him. The prospect is still not a lock to be a very good NHL player even if its a good prospect. Duchene already is a very good NHL player.

Ladd got a late 1st and a forward prospect that was never going to get out of Q's doghouse. It was also a team that was trying to defend its title and repeat as champs.

Sakic is asking for defense. Why should any team pay more than the Devils did for Hall, or the Preds did for Johansen? Those deals were 1 for 1, no extra picks or prospects. Young D are just valued more highly than late 1st round picks and forward prospects. In fact, the value isn't even remotely close.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
Good point.

It will be hard to find a good fit when you're trying to get "futures" this season. Very few buyers have cap room.

Which is why I think that it will be an off season trade for him, unless Sakic lowers his ask. Don't get me wrong, Duchesne is a very good player but $6 mill for the next few years is tough to fit in for alot of teams who, even though they have cap space can't or are unwilling to spend that kind of money.

The cost for Duchesne is not just a top yound dman+1st etc but also $6 mill cap hit, unless Colorado is willing to take back salary or retain, and even then, it limits some teams going forward.

Just food for thought :) :popcorn:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When was the last time a player like Duchene was available? Especially with a very reasonable contract like he has? No wonder the asking price is high. He's an elite 5v5 producer, a top 3 faceoff guy in the league, and can play all three forward positions. That's something every team in the league should be interested in.

Probably last summer with Hall. Or last season with Johansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad