Confirmed with Link: [Alter] Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Saying Nylander "earned" an A for "committing to the team for 8 years" is quite laughable considering the contract is an overpayment after half of a career season where he regressed before the ink was dry.

The only thing Nylander committed to was an amount of money even bigger than he would've had as a UFA
When you hand someone that contract, you have to be expecting more than just goals and assists.

You're expected to be one of the leaders regardless of an initial on your jersey, but I wouldn't be surprised if Willy did get a "A" to try and motivate him even more.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The West has not been any better.

Vegas and Colorado have been the only standout teams in the same time frame.

Prior to this season Edmonton has done the same as Carolina but gotten to the final 4 less than the Canes. They are in a similar tier to but behind the Stars.

The rest of the conference cannot even decide from one season to the next which teams are even good.

LA consistently makes it but are completely irrelevant. The Jets are the leagues biggest Jekyl and Hyde show. The Flames have had moments of making the playoffs and not being a threat. Vancouver was terrible for years and overachieved this year
Vegas and Colorado are at least both contenders at the same time and even today are better than any non-Florida team in the east. And Dallas has been every bit as good as them too. That's 3 legit contenders to the east's 1 or 2 (depending what you think of Boston).

I agree Edmonton is a farce, have a look at the offersheet thread I'm literally dieing on that hill. But them and Vancouver are equal to NYR and Carolina.

The top end is about all that matters for cup contenders.

But miss me with the bottom teams can't decide who's good each year when the east literally had 5 teams going for that last playoff spot that nobody seemed to want. At least the west had 8-9 legitimate playoff teams.

I'd take LA, St Louis and Utah over whatever of Pittsburgh/Philadelphia/Washington/Detroit/Buffalo/Ottawa/NYI "decide to be good" this season

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
When you hand someone that contract, you have to be expecting more than just goals and assists.

You're expected to be one of the leaders regardless of an initial on your jersey, but I wouldn't be surprised if Willy did get a "A" to try and motivate him even more.
There's a difference between what he's earned and what's expected of him. Hell that divide between earned value, expectations, and contracts actually handed out is how the team ended up in this mess (lol pun not intended) in the first place.

I can think of 80 million reason for Willy to be motivated. If he needs a special letter on his jersey to get that next level he's an even bigger loser than I thought

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's the right move. I just hope the added pressure of being captain doesn't impact Matthews in a negative way. He doesn't exactly enjoy being interviewed by the media.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Now that this has been wrapped up, I guess the only business left before camp is the Tavares and Marner extensions.
Camp start in about a month?

Reactions: bax

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It's the right move. I just hope the added pressure of being captain doesn't impact Matthews in a negative way. He doesn't exactly enjoy being interviewed by the media.
Considering how he looks with the added pressure of the playoffs... I don't see how adding more pressure is a positive move

Now that this has been wrapped up, I guess the only business left before camp is the Tavares and Marner extensions.
Camp start in about a month?
Extensions? Lmao

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Those were my initial thoughts exactly. As long as it doesn't impact his focus and domination in the rocket race I am fine with it. For instance if he has to start worrying about character things and beating off pests more often which they literally game plan for it could result in minor injuries and he's not getting those Blueline fade away wristers to go in anymore.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Always thought Reilly showed the most Captain Tendencies on the ice but it makes sense to make the face the franchise the Captain. Long time coming

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think it’s highly probably that Tavares gets an extension at a far reduced number.

Marner seems a lot more challenging to get a deal that could work for both sides.
Think the question is will it happen before camp, sometime during the season or not at all?
I would think they would like to not have this dragging on into the season.
Is there anything else left to deal with?
I guess Robertson

Reactions: Sypher04

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Non the less, with 11m you can still end up with a Caufield type.
It is the 11m that is the asset in either case.
The problem is those guys are never available and the leafs have to pay a little extra to attract them to the market.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's mostly symbolic but I'm glad it happened.

Matthews is by far the best player in the team, and their success or lack thereof will come through him more than anyone else.

The team also needed a symbolic signal that the next few seasons will be different. The team just needs to hold up their end of the bargain and deliver finally

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Think the question is will it happen before camp, sometime during the season or not at all?
I would think they would like to not have this dragging on into the season.
Is there anything else left to deal with?
I guess Robertson
The only way to settle early is to overpay. Marner wants a raise, not until next summer will he realize he isn’t getting one. Then he will extend the deal.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The only way to settle early is to overpay. Marner wants a raise, not until next summer will he realize he isn’t getting one. Then he will extend the deal.
Maybe that’s a decision they’ll have to make but there is also Tavares and Robertson to sign. There are other things going on besides Marner.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Um, you know they can't make wholesale changes in one off-season right? It is a process.
I get that it takes time but you don't say this team is going to see significant changes and then make no significant roster moves to the forward group.

I don't think this is a thing today, communication between coach and players.
I might be overthinking it, but I doubt Berube is going to be treating Matthews like a shop steward, passing along responsibilities to the union members. Pretty confident Berube will address the players individually and in groups with or without Matthews there.

However, accepting the Captaincy should entail accepting more responsibility.

This shouldn't just be a thump my chest and walk away scenario.

Of course, they get to sell more Matthews product with the 'C' on it now. :nod:

It's actually how the C works.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I get that it takes time but you don't say this team is going to see significant changes and then make no significant roster moves to the forward group.

It's actually how the C works.
They actually did make pretty material changes, particularly in the most important spot - the coaching staff. The idea that trading one guy - Marner - would somehow fundamentally reshape the team is misguided.

Reactions: Confucius

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There's a difference between what he's earned and what's expected of him. Hell that divide between earned value, expectations, and contracts actually handed out is how the team ended up in this mess (lol pun not intended) in the first place.

I can think of 80 million reason for Willy to be motivated. If he needs a special letter on his jersey to get that next level he's an even bigger loser than I thought
I think the turning point came on the bench in that Boston series where Marner was tossing a temper tantrum and his gloves and Willy turned to him and Auston and stop F'ing crying and play the game.

The was the moment Nylander showed his leadership qualities and attempted to rite the ship.

I won't be surprised when Auston gets the C but also Nylander gets an A on his jersey, as Leafs appear locked in long term on these 2 that BT gave new contracts the other 2 core 4 players are TBD what happens next.

I personally like you feel both of these current Leaf players can't hold a candle to past Leaf great captains like Dougie and Wendel and even Mats and Darryl.

Auston feels more like a symbolic move than recognition of his great leadership in the locker-room and on the ice. IMO. In fact lack of true leadership, grit and determination is lacking from all 4 of the Leafs core 4 and that is one of the reason they struggle come playoff time as Leafs are essentially a rudderless ship with no one truly leading them.

Reactions: LeafsFan89

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess all the lessons JT learnt as Leafs Capt is not good enough for him to remain Capt.

Would be so funny if a reporter asked JT, did you learn any lessons as a Leafs Capt or something.

Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad