Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Treliving continues to surgically and strategically undoing everything Dubas touched that failed. This is just another move in the right direction away from a very regrettable past.

I actually believed at one point that the Leafs would use the "Captaincy" lure to secure that Matthews re-signs in Toronto after his 2nd contract (which was 3 years too short in length), and had the Leafs organization of high risk of leaving at age 27. Hard to say now if that topic did come up during Matthews last contract talks and new deal that he would receive the "C" from JT next. Perhaps something like that might still come out.

Players like Dougie Gilmour and Wendel Clark screamed Captain material the way they would put the teams on their backs and carry and lead them in battle, and do anything required to try and help the team win. To this point Matthews hasn't left that same leadership impression that the team looks to him to lead them other than his goal production dong his talking for him. Putting his own financial interest ahead of the Leafs potential success with his contract lengths and $$ trying to maximize earnings at the expense of Leafs competitiveness by high usage of cap space.

There is no "I" in "TEAM" is a expression often used to test personal motivation, but those that chose "I" are not seen as strong team players and leaders necessarily when their own interests proceed team interests, which require sacrifices for the good of the collective.

To me personally with Matthews this seems more like a symbolic move where the teams best player wears the "C" by default rather than actually earning it on merit. IMHO. Perhaps the "C "on his chest will help develop him into a better leader based on trying to validate the job responsibilities including media "Front Man and spokesperson" that comes with the weight of wearing the C on the jersey, rather than just another personal ego boost distinction.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
IMO the C is insignificant in todays game, it is basically the liaison between the players and the coaching staff.

I don't think this is a thing today, communication between coach and players.
I might be overthinking it, but I doubt Berube is going to be treating Matthews like a shop steward, passing along responsibilities to the union members. Pretty confident Berube will address the players individually and in groups with or without Matthews there.

However, accepting the Captaincy should entail accepting more responsibility.

This shouldn't just be a thump my chest and walk away scenario.

Of course, they get to sell more Matthews product with the 'C' on it now. :nod:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
IMHO, this is just more shuffling of the deck chairs.

It also just feeds into Pelley getting MORE jersey sales, despite what he said at the post-season presser.

REAL CHANGES have NOT occurred thus far. A trade of Marner and JT would be a REAL indication of REAL CHANGE.

Making Matthews captain just after he has been mentioned in this boards 'soft players discussion' thread is just laughable for me.

This off season thus far has just been more tinkering with the roster WITHOUT making any serious roster changes.

Change the CORE for f***s sake MLSE !!! It hasn't worked despite over paying this bunch !!!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think this is a thing today, communication between coach and players.
I might be overthinking it, but I doubt Berube is going to be treating Matthews like a shop steward, passing along responsibilities to the union members. Pretty confident Berube will address the players individually and in groups with or without Matthews there.

However, accepting the Captaincy should entail accepting more responsibility.

This shouldn't just be a thump my chest and walk away scenario.

Of course, they get to sell more Matthews product with the 'C' on it now. :nod:
When they made Tavares captain if you had a shirt with an A on it, they put a C for free. I imagine they will do the same this time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
When they made Tavares captain if you had a shirt with an A on it, they put a C for free. I imagine they will do the same this time.
I thought about that, but for collectors that wouldn't help the value.

For those that wear it for more than just games, I doubt they pursue adding the 'C', but those that save it for games probably get the 'C' sewn on. Oh and for those that were 'Small' and are now 'extra wide', golden opportunity.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So how does wearing the C change anything? What will be the main difference we see?
Matthew will now scowl at someone that punches him instead of laughing.

He actually needs to be more physical, and use his size a tad more often.

Reactions: JKG33

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
So Matthews to Captain probably indicates the Tavares extension is on the way.

Otherwise they could have to handed it over when Tavares was done.

Maybe Darryl can give him some pointers, other than feuding with a vindictive GM who trades the 2nd. best forward away out of spite.

Curious if Matthews inserts himself more or if the 'C' is completely meaningless in today's game and just a symbolic gesture.

Inserts himself into what? Or whom?

Don't you mean 'asserts himself'?

I dunno, about the extension, seems more like lipstick on a pig and calling it a beauty queen, feels like it was change for the sake of saying they made significant change, not change for the sake of any quantifiable improvement. Cynical I know but TBH, this team really has not done a lot of things that shows the fan that they have a clue how to build a championship team. They were gifted AM, MM and WN because they sucked, I suppose they didn't Buffalo their picks but Buffalo has set a pretty low bar with their drafting abilities.

Tree and Shanny promised significant changes in the off season, they hired a new coach and changed the captain... and this represents significant changes? The talking heads are waxing poetically about how Toronto had a great offseason, significantly upgrading the D.. What I see is a bunch of older, higher injury risk vet's, two unproven goalies and pretty much the same cast of characters on the forward group, outside of replacing the coach, I dont see significant impactful changes.

Um, you know they can't make wholesale changes in one off-season right? It is a process.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Tavares is the most uninspiring Captain ever.

How the hell would you know? You aren't in the room.

He's soft and gets pushed around easily. Prefering to let opponents punch him in the face without fear of retribution. Rather than standing up for himself and the charges under his command.

Oh yes, and Matthews is the second coming of Wendel.

This is on top of having zero leadership skills coupled with the personality of a rock.

You have no idea what leadership skills he does or doesn't have.

They should really stop letting him do interviews. Find someone with a bit of charisma who can carry a conversation. Tavares just comes off as a cliche mumbling milquetoast.

Oh yes, because being uncomfortable in front of the cameras means he is a bad leader. If they did what you are suggesting people like you would be slagging him for not doing interviews.

That's leadership I guess. Just in the wrong direction. Which goes a long way in explaining this teams stunning lack of postseaason success under Tavares' tenure as Captain.

Yeah, because it is all on him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought about that, but for collectors that wouldn't help the value.

For those that wear it for more than just games, I doubt they pursue adding the 'C', but those that save it for games probably get the 'C' sewn on. Oh and for those that were 'Small' and are now 'extra wide', golden opportunity.
Apparently MLSE has thousands of Jack Campbell jerseys in stock, lying around collecting dust, and just going to cut the C off it to put it Matthew's jersey's. :sarcasm:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Treliving continues to surgically and strategically undoing everything Dubas touched that failed. This is just another move in the right direction away from a very regrettable past.

Didn't Dubas want Matthews and Tavares was picked by Babcock and Shanahan?

Your posts are generally wrong so assuming this is not any different.

I actually believed at one point that the Leafs would use the "Captaincy" lure to secure that Matthews re-signs in Toronto after his 2nd contract (which was 3 years too short in length), and had the Leafs organization of high risk of leaving at age 27. Hard to say now if that topic did come up during Matthews last contract talks and new deal that he would receive the "C" from JT next. Perhaps something like that might still come out.

Instead, they used tons of money.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Both, he could assert his presence on the ice, and insert his presence into altercations/scrums rather than drifting off to the side and laughing as someone "defends" him.

This was one of the first thoughts that came to mind when I heard of Matthews getting the C..

As Captain you should be one of the first to come to the aid of a teammate on and off the ice.. You have to not only stand up for teammates in the media as spokesperson, but also get more engaged in on ice battles.

I wonder if this is something management is thinking, that would get Auston more engaged on the ice, and acting as the teams leader, coming to the defense of others. There is more growth potential here beyond just goals scored and Rocket trophies. Auston has the size and strength to become a dominate player out on the ice that all his teammates want to follow in battle as their leader, and that C on his chest might motivate Auston to lead by example and not just goals scored.

The days of Matthews getting rag-dolled like what happened in the Montreal playoff series and he just took it and laughed would set a very poor example for his teammates.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The East will be garbage again this year, likely the worst it’s been in yrs. If they can’t win a round next spring and he walks for nothing but cap space, they could be set back years, unless Cowan is really good and carries the team.

How far are we being set back from not winning a round though. Change will be required.

If we let Marner walk and re-sign JT at $3M per year. This gives us $19M to spend (this does not include the cap going up or dumping Jarnkrok or Kampf and let's assume those funds go to resigning Knies, McCabe, Robertson...). That $19M could get us Ekblad and Bennett with another $4m to $5m to spend. It also opens up room for Cowan and others.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
How far are we being set back from not winning a round though. Change will be required.

If we let Marner walk and re-sign JT at $3M per year. This gives us $19M to spend (this does not include the cap going up or dumping Jarnkrok or Kampf and let's assume those funds go to resigning Knies, McCabe, Robertson...). That $19M could get us Ekblad and Bennett with another $4m to $5m to spend. It also opens up room for Cowan and others.

It's also 30 min a game in playoffs without Mitch! If one of his replacements plays decent we are golden!

Reactions: conFABulator

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Some on going talks on the inter-webs that not only will we see the C move from Tavares to Matthews but also see a change in the assistant captains.

Talk of Nylander getting an "A" based on investing the next 8 years in contract in Toronto and the way he carried himself in the playoffs telling fellow teammates to shut-up and play,

1723566305131.png

The suggestion from @nylanderthews on Twitter/X also had Mitch Marner's name omitted from the list of leaders. 1, Marner has worn a letter since 2019, and 2, it was recently revealed that Marner has blackballed members of the Toronto media and has shown blatant disrespect to the media during interviews in recent years.

Teams want their leadership group to be available to the media and to represent them well, not get involved in public petty squabbles and behave like a juvenile. At times, Marner appears bothered to even be having a conversation with the media at all, which is not exactly ideal from a superstar in one of the hottest hockey markets on the planet.

Obviously, if Marner does remain in Toronto -- and that appears very likely -- I fully expect him to be wearing a letter, but I'm also not entirely convinced that he's a leader in the traditional sense in that he, at times, does not act like a true professional, which seems like it should be a pre-requisite when you're wearing a letter.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
The 11 million is a part of the asset but you have to consider the whole value of the player. He’s worth a helluva lot more than just cap space. You also have to consider how that cap space is used to replace the player.
For example, I’d rather take my chances on having Cole Caufield and 3 million in cap space than just 10.9 million.
Non the less, with 11m you can still end up with a Caufield type.
It is the 11m that is the asset in either case.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Seems rather pointless.
Like a feeble attempt to show change when it's actual impact will be nothing. WTG team. :laugh:

cupdreaming

Nov 9, 2014
This is the right move. Not because JT is bad Captain or Leaf, in fact he has been a great leaf. With that said this is Auston's team. Night in and out he gives this team a chance to with his play on both ends of the ice. The team feds off of him and it was time for the change. JT is a class act and this will not affect the team.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Garbage again? The east produced the President’s trophy winner and the Stanley Cup winner. Florida lost players but I don’t doubt they’re still a SC contender. The east will be stronger this year I think.
The state of Florida has made the east look better than it is for 5 years now.

Carolina chokes as soon as they reach the ECF and they got worse. The Rangers only go as far as Shesterkin takes them. Both those teams are pretenders and they're the 3rd and 4th best teams in this conference.

Boston improved but they didn't need Lindholm or Zadorov to get by Toronto anyway. Florida obviously lost some pieces but they're still far and away the best team in the east.

Outside of those 4 and Tampa, every other team is basically irrelevant until they actually prove something, Toronto included.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Do people really think FO is sitting around dreaming up ways to dupe the fanbase while they sabotage the success of the team for kicks? We knew we wouldn't be able to move Marner and Tavares unless those players allowed it to happen.

The reality is simpler. You use the resources available to improve the roster and change the culture while you wait out the last year of Tavares and Marner's contracts.

Under those circumstances, consider the following: we suddenly have our strongest blueline in recent memory. Our goaltending tandem is far more promising and signed at a very reasonable price point. We locked up our best depth forward long term and below market value. We have a new leadership duo in Berube and Matthews.

I thought after resigning Nylander and Matthews that this season in particular would be a write off. Surprisingly, we instead have our most balanced roster in the Matthews era.

Please tell me what exactly some of you would have done in Treliving's shoes. Held a gun to Marner's head to make him accept a trade?

It's just such a strange and reductive view of how decisions are made at that level

I think given the NMC constraints you can look at elevating Matthews to captain as their way of promoting him out of the Big 4.

It’s now a Big 1 of Matthews, a Medium 2 of Nylander and Marner and Tavares is kind of starting to take a backseat.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Great player but his NHL career is tarnished by his playoff record.
1 series with the Islanders, 1 series with the Leafs. It's actually pretty impressive how he's been unable to ramp up to another level in the post season.

For all the shit talking Joe Thornton takes, he at least got the Sharks to win a couple of rounds here and there. Tavares statistically has a worse record.
I don't think anyone is saying prime Tavares is better than prime Thornton. But I do enjoy seeing someone else use the Sharks analogy, even if this team has a bunch of playoff rounds yet to win before they can be considered as good as those chokers

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think given the NMC constraints you can look at elevating Matthews to captain as their way of promoting him out of the Big 4.

It’s now a Big 1 of Matthews, a Medium 2 of Nylander and Marner and Tavares is kind of starting to take a backseat.

I think this is an interesting point and I agree.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Some on going talks on the inter-webs that not only will we see the C move from Tavares to Matthews but also see a change in the assistant captains.

Talk of Nylander getting an "A" based on investing the next 8 years in contract in Toronto and the way he carried himself in the playoffs telling fellow teammates to shut-up and play,

View attachment 900758

The suggestion from @nylanderthews on Twitter/X also had Mitch Marner's name omitted from the list of leaders. 1, Marner has worn a letter since 2019, and 2, it was recently revealed that Marner has blackballed members of the Toronto media and has shown blatant disrespect to the media during interviews in recent years.

Teams want their leadership group to be available to the media and to represent them well, not get involved in public petty squabbles and behave like a juvenile. At times, Marner appears bothered to even be having a conversation with the media at all, which is not exactly ideal from a superstar in one of the hottest hockey markets on the planet.

Obviously, if Marner does remain in Toronto -- and that appears very likely -- I fully expect him to be wearing a letter, but I'm also not entirely convinced that he's a leader in the traditional sense in that he, at times, does not act like a true professional, which seems like it should be a pre-requisite when you're wearing a letter.

Saying Nylander "earned" an A for "committing to the team for 8 years" is quite laughable considering the contract is an overpayment after half of a career season where he regressed before the ink was dry.

The only thing Nylander committed to was an amount of money even bigger than he would've had as a UFA

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The state of Florida has made the east look better than it is for 5 years now.

Carolina chokes as soon as they reach the ECF and they got worse. The Rangers only go as far as Shesterkin takes them. Both those teams are pretenders and they're the 3rd and 4th best teams in this conference.

Boston improved but they didn't need Lindholm or Zadorov to get by Toronto anyway. Florida obviously lost some pieces but they're still far and away the best team in the east.

Outside of those 4 and Tampa, every other team is basically irrelevant until they actually prove something, Toronto included.

The West has not been any better.

Vegas and Colorado have been the only standout teams in the same time frame.

Prior to this season Edmonton has done the same as Carolina but gotten to the final 4 less than the Canes. They are in a similar tier to but behind the Stars.

The rest of the conference cannot even decide from one season to the next which teams are even good.

LA consistently makes it but are completely irrelevant. The Jets are the leagues biggest Jekyl and Hyde show. The Flames have had moments of making the playoffs but never a real threat. Vancouver was terrible for years and overachieved this year

Minnesota and Nashville have also been decidedly inconsequential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad