Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Rielly + Marner/Nylandwr alternating A's?

Do we run 2 sets of A's still?
Rielly and Nylander. No A for Marner. Oh I believe he cares but money has dominated the conversation regarding him over team so that’s a big no dog. Never shows up when it matters. I’d exclude him from the conversation until he buys into team first mentality, that means taking less as he has been overpaid buy at least a cool million per.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't see it, unless it is at a big discount and I don't see that.

I just can't see why it makes any sense to sign Marner until after the playoffs, and only then if he earns it with a fantastic playoff that drives the team to at least the Conference Championship. That's it.

He's not taking a discount, so we either let him walk or sign him for a lot that he earns. Signing him for a lot that he hasn't earned just doesn't make sense.

Make him play for his next contract. It's that simple.
Marner will make the same on the open market whether they miss the playoffs or win a round. You make a good point, the Leafs only offer if he changes his playoff performance. Let him decide how important it is.
The Leafs are the only ones gambling in this situation and could be wasting a valuable asset.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Figured they'd let it play out until the end of this upcoming season but so be it.

So Matthews to Captain probably indicates the Tavares extension is on the way.

Otherwise they could have to handed it over when Tavares was done.

Maybe Darryl can give him some pointers, other than feuding with a vindictive GM who trades the 2nd. best forward away out of spite.

Curious if Matthews inserts asserts himself more or if the 'C' is completely meaningless in today's game and just a symbolic gesture. He could even insert himself into scrums.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So Matthews to Captain probably indicates the Tavares extension is on the way.

Otherwise they could have to handed it over when Tavares was done.

Maybe Darryl can give him some pointers, other than feuding with a vindictive GM who trades the 2nd. best forward away out of spite.

Curious if Matthews inserts himself more or if the 'C' is completely meaningless in today's game and just a symbolic gesture.

I dunno, about the extension, seems more like lipstick on a pig and calling it a beauty queen, feels like it was change for the sake of saying they made significant change, not change for the sake of any quantifiable improvement. Cynical I know but TBH, this team really has not done a lot of things that shows the fan that they have a clue how to build a championship team. They were gifted AM, MM and WN because they sucked, I suppose they didn't Buffalo their picks but Buffalo has set a pretty low bar with their drafting abilities.

Tree and Shanny promised significant changes in the off season, they hired a new coach and changed the captain... and this represents significant changes? The talking heads are waxing poetically about how Toronto had a great offseason, significantly upgrading the D.. What I see is a bunch of older, higher injury risk vet's, two unproven goalies and pretty much the same cast of characters on the forward group, outside of replacing the coach, I dont see significant impactful changes.

IMO the C is insignificant in todays game, it is basically the liaison between the players and the coaching staff.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Marner will make the same on the open market whether they miss the playoffs or win a round. You make a good point, the Leafs only offer if he changes his playoff performance. Let him decide how important it is.
The Leafs are the only ones gambling in this situation and could be wasting a valuable asset.
Unless you consider what $11m as an asset can do for your team. That is the return for letting Mitchy walk.
I suggest that the cap space is a better asset than Mitchy, not unlike JT.
They are both over paid for their value.

Reactions: JKG33

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
"Tavares has been heavily involved in the process with GM Brad Treliving."

MLSE being MLSE.

For most franchises it's not really much more complicated than removing the C from one set of home/away jerseys and stitching them on another. But not here, no. A committee was formed with multiple board room meetings, strategy sessions, spreadsheets and an organizational chart mulled over via Zoom calls over the past few weeks.

Also love the pure PR spin of "Tavares fully on board".
Yeah right he was. :laugh::laugh:

First the team humiliates him by removing the C then he gets to read Dreger's tweet about how he was fully supportive of the decision. My god, man. Just brutal.

Still the right move but MLSE really are a piece of work.

Reactions: LeafSteel

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Exactly. If he wants to be a Leaf, let him play for it. If we have to overpay to keep him, I really only want to do that if he shows he can really bring it in the playoffs.

As I said, the only way it even remotely makes sense to sign him before next off-season is if he signs a discount deal without a full NMC. I just don't see him doing that.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Let’s not forget Matthews put in a 2 1/2 minute shift trying to get #70 in game 81 or 82. Although they failed get over another hurdle, that’s leadership (no one say anything about playoffs)

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
:laugh: I was born in 65 and I barely remember the 80s. I know I had a lot of fun though.
I was born in 1966 and I remember the 80s very well they sucked, in 85 they finished with 48 points, they got wendel Clark in 86 as their 1st round pick and in 87 they went deep into the playoffs, I think they lost in the conference finals.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Just a distraction from useless Mitch being still here. They gave him NMC and he intends to milk it here to the very end.

JT losing captaincy a year earlier is in line with this team's impotence.

edit: ie look we already changed coach! JT lost C, we are completely different team now !

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly. If he wants to be a Leaf, let him play for it. If we have to overpay to keep him, I really only want to do that if he shows he can really bring it in the playoffs.

As I said, the only way it even remotely makes sense to sign him before next off-season is if he signs a discount deal without a full NMC. I just don't see him doing that.
The East will be garbage again this year, likely the worst it’s been in yrs. If they can’t win a round next spring and he walks for nothing but cap space, they could be set back years, unless Cowan is really good and carries the team.

Reactions: JKG33

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Tavares is the most uninspiring Captain ever.

He's soft and gets pushed around easily. Prefering to let opponents punch him in the face without fear of retribution. Rather than standing up for himself and the charges under his command.

This is on top of having zero leadership skills coupled with the personality of a rock.

They should really stop letting him do interviews. Find someone with a bit of charisma who can carry a conversation. Tavares just comes off as a cliche mumbling milquetoast.

Anything outside of two bit soundbite answers is above his pay grade.

That's leadership I guess. Just in the wrong direction. Which goes a long way in explaining this teams stunning lack of postseaason success under Tavares' tenure as Captain.

Stripping him of the "C" is a necessary first step towards meaningful change.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Garbage again? The east produced the President’s trophy winner and the Stanley Cup winner. Florida lost players but I don’t doubt they’re still a SC contender. The east will be stronger this year I think.

Reactions: OddyOh

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Unless you consider what $11m as an asset can do for your team. That is the return for letting Mitchy walk.
I suggest that the cap space is a better asset than Mitchy, not unlike JT.
They are both over paid for their value.
The 11 million is a part of the asset but you have to consider the whole value of the player. He’s worth a helluva lot more than just cap space. You also have to consider how that cap space is used to replace the player.
For example, I’d rather take my chances on having Cole Caufield and 3 million in cap space than just 10.9 million.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Brilliant move, make a guy who has never been captain at any level he has played at and who doesn't have the balls to fight back when manhandled the captain of the Leafs.

Did he get this for the fearless leadership and game changing efforts he has shown in the playoffs?

By the time he retires Marcel Dionne will have had more playoff success than Matty.

Shit move.

How the hell would you know?

You're an NHL savant eh?
why are you so triggered about Capt Mumbles finally being stripped of the C ? he's never led a team anywhere and his previous team went on to have the most success that franchise has had in 40 years the second he left even though all i heard was how poor Johnny had to carry a bunch of AHLer's on his back for 9 yrs

it's easy to tell the guys don't respect him as a leader when they don't bat an eye every time he gets laid out

the sad part is you felt the need to shit on Mathews to make JT's light shine brighter but don't worry people have been chucking Johnny's teammates under the bus to deflect criticism away from him since jr and that's one of the main reasons people don't look at him as a leader

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Garbage again? The east produced the President’s trophy winner and the Stanley Cup winner. Florida lost players but I don’t doubt they’re still a SC contender. The east will be stronger this year I think.
I hope I’m wrong but I don’t believe Florida will contend. Two yrs in a row playing into late June will affect them.
The East will represented by the likes of Panarin, Zibanejad, Aho, Andersson, Marner, Nylander, Keefe….etc in the SCF.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Tavares is the most uninspiring Captain ever.

He's soft and gets pushed around easily. Prefering to let opponents punch him in the face without fear of retribution. Rather than standing up for himself and the charges under his command.

This is on top of having zero leadership skills coupled with the personality of a rock.

They should really stop letting him do interviews. Find someone with a bit of charisma who can carry a conversation. Tavares just comes off as a cliche mumbling milquetoast.

Anything outside of two bit soundbite answers is above his pay grade.

That's leadership I guess. Just in the wrong direction. Which goes a long way in explaining this teams stunning lack of postseaason success under Tavares' tenure as Captain.

Stripping him of the "C" is a necessary first step towards meaningful change.
Great player but his NHL career is tarnished by his playoff record.
1 series with the Islanders, 1 series with the Leafs. It's actually pretty impressive how he's been unable to ramp up to another level in the post season.

For all the shit talking Joe Thornton takes, he at least got the Sharks to win a couple of rounds here and there. Tavares statistically has a worse record.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I hope I’m wrong but I don’t believe Florida will contend. Two yrs in a row playing into late June will affect them.
The East will represented by the likes of Panarin, Zibanejad, Aho, Andersson, Marner, Nylander, Keefe….etc in the SCF.
I hope you’re NOT wrong if it means Leafs are in SCF. 😂

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I hope you’re NOT wrong if it means Leafs are in SCF. 😂
The NHL is so watered down now that it could happen, not likely, but someone is coming out of the East.

If you look at the drafted players that are coming into the NHL just a matter of time when the SCF will be meaningless.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Oh they changed Captains

1723558724748.png

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well honestly I wouldn't have named Matthews captain myself. but whatever. go captain.
be really curious to see how quickly the "yeah, finally!, it's about time it's hims" turn into "omg he's such a poo captain."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad