Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the turning point came on the bench in that Boston series where Marner was tossing a temper tantrum and his gloves and Willy turned to him and Auston and stop F'ing crying and play the game.

The was the moment Nylander showed his leadership qualities and attempted to rite the ship.

I won't be surprised when Auston gets the C but also Nylander gets an A on his jersey, as Leafs appear locked in long term on these 2 that BT gave new contracts the other 2 core 4 players are TBD what happens next.

I personally like you feel both of these current Leaf players can't hold a candle to past Leaf great captains like Dougie and Wendel and even Mats and Darryl.

Auston feels more like a symbolic move than recognition of his great leadership in the locker-room and on the ice. IMO. In fact lack of true leadership, grit and determination is lacking from all 4 of the Leafs core 4 and that is one of the reason they struggle come playoff time as Leafs are essentially a rudderless ship with no one truly leading them.

As the saying goes, pressure is a privilege. Elevating Auston Matthews to captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs takes away his ability to blend into the Big 4 in the heat of the battle. He has the contract, he has the hardware. He has the captaincy and the responsibility. There is no longer a Big 4. It's just Auston Matthews and 3-4 guys a step down.

Symbolically this breaks up the idea of Matthews and Marner as the dynamic duo. The franchise has spoken and Matthews is Batman so it takes the pressure away from Mitch having to pretend to be. He can fall back to Willie and Rielly's level on the pecking order, and is that so bad? Similarly, Tavares doesn't have the special symbolic status that doesn't fit with his declining abilities.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

When did the Beaverton stop posting satirical articles?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can see it now, next April, the headline on the sports page after the Leafs are knocked out of Round 1...

New Captain, Same Results!

Reactions: rumman

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

They haven't.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This tells me that they expect JT to return after this contract - moving on now shows he's still a team player and wants to be here more than this just this year
Or that he knows he's not coming back, and this year is for transitioning. Either way good for him to do it right.

Reactions: Racer88

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

I like these guys too.

Over the top hyperbole and exaggeraation never gets old. Having said that, the thing about satire is that if it's done right, it's hard to tell if it's satire or not. Sarcasm needs to be biting in order to be effective.

Satire is best when it leaves the audience wondering whether the writer was being serious or not because it makes them think about the issue in new ways.

Reactions: Racer88

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I get that it takes time but you don't say this team is going to see significant changes and then make no significant roster moves to the forward group.
Of the five most significant forwards he re-signed one, and the other four are already signed for this year, and all have NMCs. Next year it's possible two won't be signed and/or won't have NMCs.

He's made significant changes to the coaching, defence, and goaltending.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As the saying goes, pressure is a privilege. Elevating Auston Matthews to captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs takes away his ability to blend into the Big 4 in the heat of the battle. He has the contract, he has the hardware. He has the captaincy and the responsibility. There is no longer a Big 4. It's just Auston Matthews and 3-4 guys a step down.

Symbolically this breaks up the idea of Matthews and Marner as the dynamic duo. The franchise has spoken and Matthews is Batman so it takes the pressure away from Mitch having to pretend to be. He can fall back to Willie and Rielly's level on the pecking order, and is that so bad? Similarly, Tavares doesn't have the special symbolic status that doesn't fit with his declining abilities.
Thats really wishful thinking.

This has been AM's team since the day he scored 4 goals in his debut.
If AM doesn't realize that, putting a C won't matters.

JT and MM will still be JT and MM letter or not.

I do believe that for some players, having a letter on their jersey will perform better due to knowing he is a leader of the team but I just can't say the same about AM, JT and MM. Maybe putting a letter on guys like Domi will elevate his game a bit.

Some really weird takes in here especially the 'why didn't they wait?' ones.

So funny that JT appears more on board with this than half the posters on here.
Would be better if BT can convince JT to waive and be traded to another team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Some really weird takes in here especially the 'why didn't they wait?' ones.

So funny that JT appears more on board with this than half the posters on here.
JT really couldn’t come out and say he is pissed now can he? Although that would make for some great turmoil.

Reactions: Obo

ALine

May 14, 2012
This was one of the first thoughts that came to mind when I heard of Matthews getting the C..

As Captain you should be one of the first to come to the aid of a teammate on and off the ice.. You have to not only stand up for teammates in the media as spokesperson, but also get more engaged in on ice battles.

I wonder if this is something management is thinking, that would get Auston more engaged on the ice, and acting as the teams leader, coming to the defense of others. There is more growth potential here beyond just goals scored and Rocket trophies. Auston has the size and strength to become a dominate player out on the ice that all his teammates want to follow in battle as their leader, and that C on his chest might motivate Auston to lead by example and not just goals scored.

The days of Matthews getting rag-dolled like what happened in the Montreal playoff series and he just took it and laughed would set a very poor example for his teammates.
I agree.

I think he done a lot better in the last couple seasons being more physically engaged during play and in scrums than the Montreal rag doll.

I think another part of it is, while you do want him to be engaged and sticking up for teammates, but you also want every other blue shirt on the ice to react if an opponent starts scrumming it up with Matthews.

I think this swap puts the whole team on notice as much as Matthews. They’ll need to dial in there ‘ don’t touch my captain’ response real quick as I’m sure it’s something Berube won’t stand for a lack off.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I think the turning point came on the bench in that Boston series where Marner was tossing a temper tantrum and his gloves and Willy turned to him and Auston and stop F'ing crying and play the game.

The was the moment Nylander showed his leadership qualities and attempted to rite the ship.

I won't be surprised when Auston gets the C but also Nylander gets an A on his jersey, as Leafs appear locked in long term on these 2 that BT gave new contracts the other 2 core 4 players are TBD what happens next.

I personally like you feel both of these current Leaf players can't hold a candle to past Leaf great captains like Dougie and Wendel and even Mats and Darryl.

Auston feels more like a symbolic move than recognition of his great leadership in the locker-room and on the ice. IMO. In fact lack of true leadership, grit and determination is lacking from all 4 of the Leafs core 4 and that is one of the reason they struggle come playoff time as Leafs are essentially a rudderless ship with no one truly leading them.
I agree with you. Will wearing the C improve AM, no, he is a star and plays amazing hockey. Can he motivate the team off the ice??? Can he show emotion when emotion is required?
Dougie was a leader on the Leafs with or without the C. Does the C change AM...hard to imagine, he is not a boy. Sittler was a leader even without the C.
It certainly is time for JT to go. Forgetting for a moment his salary, It is hard to see him as a 3rd line player contributing to PK, to defensive situations, to skipped shifts, to not being on the ice in key moments.
This is a nice gesture for AM, likely already written in his contract when he signed, if it hurts JT, so what, he really is just a 4.5m player in rich clothes. It is a step of change, but sooooo much more is required.
Ps, maybe JT wants out of Canada because of his tax problem and this steps makes it more tasteful.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Would be better if BT can convince JT to waive and be traded to another team.

Since he is so bad, what are we attaching to him to get rid of him in this scenario?

Also, look into the Monahan trade if you want to see how it is likely to go... that was a mess.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Who cares if it hurts his feelings.

That's the whole f***ing point. The team is a loser and so is the boat anchor Captain. But he's still getting played every night.

Why? For what reason?

There's no room for Captain Boat Anchor on a contender with no cap space. All these learning lessons and what has he taught these guys. How to lose graciously.

They're experienced gracious losers enough already thank you very much.

He hasn't played very well for like a year and a half now. And I know it's not Tavares' fault he really slowed down. But for some inexplicable reason the idiot coach who should've been canned last summer played him as #2C and on the power play instead of icing the best lineup possible.

I just hope naming Matthews Captain means they have enough faith in these guys maturity they don't acquire any more boat anchor veteran leadership once Tavares is gone.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree.

I think he done a lot better in the last couple seasons being more physically engaged during play and in scrums than the Montreal rag doll.

I think another part of it is, while you do want him to be engaged and sticking up for teammates, but you also want every other blue shirt on the ice to react if an opponent starts scrumming it up with Matthews.

I think this swap puts the whole team on notice as much as Matthews. They’ll need to dial in there ‘ don’t touch my captain’ response real quick as I’m sure it’s something Berube won’t stand for a lack off.
I agree as well that it works both ways.

Opponents are always going to focus on Matthews as the teams best players and you want his teammates to come to his aid and protection as much as you want him to engage physically and come to theirs.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
To be clear, the coach can't talk to the players without the Captain?

That explains the consistent failure ...

Of course he can, the C is more for the coach to get a pulse of what the players are feeling but not confident enough to say. He's like your class president who goes to the principal to share what the students are thinking.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario

Interesting timing to release this click bait. I wonder if any of the leaders of the team were named as players with no shot at ever winning a cup.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
HEY CYNICAL LEAF FANS,

WHY DON'T TAKE THE DAY OFF TODAY. SOME OF US WANT TO SEE MATTHEWS WITH A C ON HIS JERSEY.

Matthews doesn't draft, make trades, coach the team, etc. He's just the best player on the team. He does that every season. You might like to only focus on the playoffs. That's been a struggle at times. I get it. Winning in the regular season is so much better than what we used to have: not winning in the regular season. It's difficult for a good team to be a great team. That's not Matthews' cross to bear. Give him his day please.

________

Let's get a bagel, some coffee, some healthy in season fruit, kick your feet up, and enjoy the ride. Matthews is your captain.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

Interesting timing to release this click bait. I wonder if any of the leaders of the team were named as players with no shot at ever winning a cup.
There was a point in his career where I think people thought O’Reilly would never win a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad