2024-25 New Goalie Gear Setups and Masks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Just more proof that Dave can find a way to overcomplicate or fail to perfectly execute even the simplest of "2D FX" designs. The "brush textures FX" or whatever just completely detracts from the concept. It's distracting and ends up looking like it was just hand painted by a DIYer at home. It takes away from the intended "simplicity" of the design.
I think the 'sloppiness' if you will is just part of the grand scheme of it all...It does look like a guy might've done this in his basement 11:40 pm while on his 4th beer.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I think some people are trying too hard to find fault in the Talbot mask. When he's wearing that in-game you're not going to see that detail, it's just there for looking at it close up.

Reactions: FMichael

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The 35 not being centered correctly with the kerning really irks me but then again that's expecting a walnut like DaveFlares to do something correct.

Just more proof that Dave can find a way to overcomplicate or fail to perfectly execute even the simplest of "2D FX" designs. The "brush textures FX" or whatever just completely detracts from the concept. It's distracting and ends up looking like it was just hand painted by a DIYer at home. It takes away from the intended "simplicity" of the design.
Had he just done it like a proper airbrush without the hand painted texturing, it would have looked better. But Dave is gonna Dave. He can't get out of his own way.

This one failed on the design table.
Sweet mother of Crosby that mask is hideous.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Here's Jarry's new pads set up for those that like to see what everyone is doing, no matter what.

img_7868.jpg

Reactions: biturbo19 and SirJW

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think the 'sloppiness' if you will is just part of the grand scheme of it all...It does look like a guy might've done this in his basement 11:40 pm while on his 4th beer.

More than 4 beers and later than 11:40pm imo. Might've started it 4 beers in at midnight, but definitely didn't finish the DIY basement project until at least 8 beers in, when the sun is starting to come up...so screw it, art project mask is "finished".

I think some people are trying too hard to find fault in the Talbot mask. When he's wearing that in-game you're not going to see that detail, it's just there for looking at it close up.

The thing is...i don't think that really looks good as a "close up" detail either. It just looks sloppy and improvised. And still distracts from the clean crisp lines that a design like that leans on.

The 35 not being centered correctly with the kerning really irks me but then again that's expecting a walnut like DaveFlares to do something correct.

Had he just done it like a proper airbrush without the hand painted texturing, it would have looked better. But Dave is gonna Dave. He can't get out of his own way.

Exactly. If he'd just airbrushed clean, crisp colour blocks...it'd be a really good mask. He actually got most of the basic "design" elements right, exercised restraint with the lensflares and most of the "signature FX", but still couldn't help himself and had to do something quirky or distracting with the textured painting. Solid colours would've sealed it as one of his best masks...but he just sort of fumbled across the goal line.

I mean, who knows...maybe Talbot specifically requested a "hand painted look". But as a design professional, it's sort of Dave's job to "edit" those ideas, or execute them in a more effective way for better presentation. Should have the good sense to realize that particular execution of "hand painted" look comes across as sloppy and DIY...and not in a good way.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Here's Jarry's new pads set up for those that like to see what everyone is doing, no matter what.

img_7868.jpg

Oh heck yeah. These are sweet. Hope we get more goalies going back to more "classic" pad designs like that.

It'll get "yawns" from a lot of people...but i still love a good, clean white pads setup like that. Ideally, a little pop of colour somewhere...like an outer roll, knee rolls, or just a restrained sort of mild pattern. But that looks way better to me than something like say...

Meh, printed graphics hardly ever work for me:

This. Printed graphics aren't it. Just ends up looking like old timey road hockey pads for children.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
This one failed on the design table.

It's an overcomplicated, cartoony rip off of Cujo's mask. Absolutely terrible.

Oh heck yeah. These are sweet. Hope we get more goalies going back to more "classic" pad designs like that.

It'll get "yawns" from a lot of people...but i still love a good, clean white pads setup like that. Ideally, a little pop of colour somewhere...like an outer roll, knee rolls, or just a restrained sort of mild pattern. But that looks way better to me than something like say...

This. Printed graphics aren't it. Just ends up looking like old timey road hockey pads for children.

They're not great, but they are still an upgrade on the all white, boring as shit set-ups we've seen so much off the last 10 years.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
What in the ever loving...

One of the worst ones yet.

The stone eagle heads look way too phallic because of his ridiculous "pencil" tech bullshit that lacks contrast.

And don't get me started on the nightmare inducing Statue of Liberty face...

He took a couple of simple design elements, ratcheted up their complexity to 11, and then finished painting it while riding Chewie on the bumper cars at his local state fair.

Somebody needs to confiscate this idiot's air gun and brushes.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

1726261784609.png

Vaughn was offering some older graphics on their latest retail pad. So we'll probably see a few more NHL guys with older designs. The iceberg graphic was popular. I think Jonathan Quick got them to use a decade old graphic recently.

A few years back some goalies were rocking the 2001-03 era CCM Heaton 10 graphic. Maybe fortunate for my wallet that it was never an option for a beer leaguer.

1726262027198.png

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
View attachment 906825

Vaughn was offering some older graphics on their latest retail pad. So we'll probably see a few more NHL guys with older designs. The iceberg graphic was popular. I think Jonathan Quick got them to use a decade old graphic recently.

A few years back some goalies were rocking the 2001-03 era CCM Heaton 10 graphic. Maybe fortunate for my wallet that it was never an option for a beer leaguer.

View attachment 906826

Probably somewhat alone in this, but i kinda miss this design:

vaughn-leg-pads-vaughn-velocity-v10-pro-carbon-senior-goalie-leg-pads-7500-graphic-white-black-33-2-31811072884802_1800x1800.jpg

It'd be cool if that made a comeback with someone.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad