Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
1000008279.jpg

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
If I ignore JT for a second, I like Matthews as a captain. Not because he exudes leadership, but the exact opposite.

Matthews is great, but at times he plays a little disengaged and I always suspected the fact that he wasn't picked as captain in the first place was part of the problem (not that thought underpants should get it at the time, the following domino was predictable).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The idea to name Auston Matthews captain of the Maple Leafs didn't originate from Treliving, Berube or Tavares, it was initiated by a high-ranking Maple Leafs executive who is believed to be fighting to save his job.

Knowing they were going to be unable to make a significant change by trading one of the "Core 4" members, the next best thing Leafs management felt they could do was to change the leadership structure. Shifting the captaincy from Tavares to Matthews signifies the changing of the guard, so to speak, as Tavares enters the final season of is 7-year mega-deal he signed in 2018.

Matthews will be entering year one of his four-year extension, which he signed last summer. During the introduction of Matthews as captain on Wednesday, Brendan Shanahan revealed that it was him that kicked the idea into gear.

"I actually went over to John's house and sat with him in his backyard and Aryne was there and really talked to him about this and to gauge his comfortability when this was first being talked about," Shanahan said.

While the move will allow Tavares to focus less on leading and more on playing, the Leafs confirmed that he will still wear an "A" this season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

The idea to name Auston Matthews captain of the Maple Leafs didn't originate from Treliving, Berube or Tavares, it was initiated by a high-ranking Maple Leafs executive who is believed to be fighting to save his job.

Knowing they were going to be unable to make a significant change by trading one of the "Core 4" members, the next best thing Leafs management felt they could do was to change the leadership structure. Shifting the captaincy from Tavares to Matthews signifies the changing of the guard, so to speak, as Tavares enters the final season of is 7-year mega-deal he signed in 2018.

Matthews will be entering year one of his four-year extension, which he signed last summer. During the introduction of Matthews as captain on Wednesday, Brendan Shanahan revealed that it was him that kicked the idea into gear.

While the move will allow Tavares to focus less on leading and more on playing, the Leafs confirmed that he will still wear an "A" this season.

Nope it was good 'ole classy Johnny T giving up his C for the better of the team :laugh:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1. We all know it wasn’t JT’s idea to give the C to AM
2. Just funny how some read AM‘s comment on I want to be a Leafs for life has anything meaning since what else do you expect him to say.
3. They are still the same players regardless of letter on their jersey.
4. Still need to prove they can win in playoffs.

Reactions: Stringer Bell

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Ole Shanny is so serious about winning, isn't he?

Reactions: rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Well it's nice to know that Shanahan can actually do something other than (apparently) veto trades.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
If I ignore JT for a second, I like Matthews as a captain. Not because he exudes leadership, but the exact opposite.

Matthews is great, but at times he plays a little disengaged and I always suspected the fact that he wasn't picked as captain in the first place was part of the problem (not that thought underpants should get it at the time, the following domino was predictable).
Perfect. They should win the cup this year if that was the reason he was disengaged.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Perfect. They should win the cup this year if that was the reason he was disengaged.

Lol.

Is having the most generous contract in the league not enough?

• Haha
Reactions: bax

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think people try to read into Matthews’ demeanor too much and interpret if he’s engaged or not. And not just him.

But you don’t score 69 goals, over 100 points, be a finalist for the Selke trophy and a finalist for the most outstanding player in the league as voted by your peers without being consistently engaged. This league is too good for that.

Looking effortless is not the same as lacking effort

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Not shocking, Maple Leafs Daily taking a lot of liberties in an "article" they based off an actual article by The Hockey News that doesn't say anything remotely close to what they pretend it does.

End of the day though, this isn't that big of deal and was coming at some point. I didn't like the idea at the beginning, it just seems weird to strip JT, but the whole process sounds pretty thought out and nothing really changes. This is Auston's team, regardless of what anyone wants to think about that, he's the guy on this team, so that part makes sense. If anyone in the league was going to handle this well, it was Tavares, and Treliving and Shanahan knew that.

Does it change much? No, I don't think so. If we get over, is this what made that happen? No. If we lose, is this the reason why? Again, no. If anything, this shows what every player who has come and gone from Toronto has said, it's a really good room with a group of guys who just want to do what's best for the team to get over.

None of that is fun narrative to scream from the rooftops though.

Reactions: Sypher04

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Not shocking, Maple Leafs Daily taking a lot of liberties in an "article" they based off an actual article by The Hockey News that doesn't say anything remotely close to what they pretend it does.

End of the day though, this isn't that big of deal and was coming at some point. I didn't like the idea at the beginning, it just seems weird to strip JT, but the whole process sounds pretty thought out and nothing really changes. This is Auston's team, regardless of what anyone wants to think about that, he's the guy on this team, so that part makes sense. If anyone in the league was going to handle this well, it was Tavares, and Treliving and Shanahan knew that.

Does it change much? No, I don't think so. If we get over, is this what made that happen? No. If we lose, is this the reason why? Again, no. If anything, this shows what every player who has come and gone from Toronto has said, it's a really good room with a group of guys who just want to do what's best for the team to get over.

None of that is fun narrative to scream from the rooftops though.

:dumbo:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty much confirms they tried to trade those two losers Marner and Tavares so they did this.

Also confirms Shanahan’s status as one of the worst, if not the worst, president in the league.

From a political wheeling and dealing POV, if Shanahan extracted the captaincy and maintained goodwill from Tavares where he couldn't trade him... it's not the worst outcome. Projects a generally positive front in a turbulent time. From an inmates run the asylum and management can't make a decision without the players being in total control, yeah maybe it's not the kind of hockey program one imagines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad