Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He dresses well for the times, which we all know changes.
When the standards are track pants and flip flops, I guess you're right.

Sloppy? He wasn’t wearing swimming shorts and slides lol how on earth is what Matthews wore yesterday going to prevent them from getting over the top when things get tight?
It was a pretty formal event. Everyone else on the stage had a collar and dress shoes on. This isn't a hill I'm going to die on or anything, just an observation.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

It was a pretty formal event. Everyone else on the stage had a collar and dress shoes on. This isn't a hill I'm going to die on or anything, just an observation.
Fair enough. I looked at it as a changing of the guard in more than one way. I just don’t see it as nearly a big deal as some appear to on here. Far more concerned with what happens on the ice and to me what they wear going into the building has zero relevance

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

You could argue there are no standards. No tie and collar, imo, is better than wearing a tie around your shoulders like Burke. To each his own, just don’t force me to do, like or accept everything.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Islanders are so happy they didn't and certainly were insulted because they failed. But they ended up happy.
He played a lot of wing last year because he could not cover the ice needed. Surely you watched and read that.
No, we are not scouts and many players are available that are not free agents, that is why they pay scouts and gms, not you.
Stamkos, that is some joke, another Toronto hero who wants to be paid a premium for living in the big TO.
So to review
You think JT should not be moved, can play center, and is ok with 11m cap hit because we are only paying 1m in actual cash.
You think no suitable 3rd line center is available
You hate Stamkos
You are a financial advisor at Scotiabank Arena (😁) and you have no life but to search out NHL player contracts on line...from the comfort of your lazyboy chair.
Have a great day
Thank you for clarifying Bill. It's great to understand which posters have a good understanding of hockey, and the Leafs, and which don't, to facilitate ongoing intelligent conversation.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Ok hound..like you I am not a scout, and by the way JT is no longer a centre,
We are up against the cap, JT is over valued, he can go, no significant loss and maybe with some cap freedom we can build a winner.
57 years, same old poop. Even the Islanders knew it was time. We go ripped again.
Not 1 team would pay JT 11m except us
No one has to pay JT 11 million this year (or ever again). Not even the Leafs. Cap hit, however, is a different issue.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
No one has to pay JT 11 million this year (or ever again). Not even the Leafs. Cap hit, however, is a different issue.
No other team would have after seeing his results halfway through his Toronto tenure either is the point. He was overvalued and underperformed. His good guy robotic demeanor and classy approach to interviews likely is the only thing that saved him from being shipped out a while ago. Corporate Posterboys are rarely good captains. Give me Jamie Benn or Jordan Staal anyday over JT.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
No other team would have after seeing his results halfway through his Toronto tenure either is the point. He was overvalued and underperformed. His good guy robotic demeanor and classy approach to interviews likely is the only thing that saved him from being shipped out a while ago. Corporate Posterboys are rarely good captains. Give me Jamie Benn or Jordan Staal anyday over JT.
Absolutely. Tavares was a safe non-controversial signing for the PC Toronto market.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Fair enough. I looked at it as a changing of the guard in more than one way. I just don’t see it as nearly a big deal as some appear to on here. Far more concerned with what happens on the ice and to me what they wear going into the building has zero relevance
I'm obviously not a professional hockey player, but I am in a leadership role. We find that the crews that are led by guys who maintain professionalism in every aspect of their day, pass that on to those who they lead. Guess which group performs at a higher level and makes fewer mistakes?

Reactions: bax

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
They should bring him back I watch coach corner

Yeah that’s a big no thanks for me.
Somehow he managed to be the worst part of a broadcast watch included boring ass Ron MacLean, Kelly Hrudey and and first class jackass like Glenn Healy

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He definitely said some stuff that could easily be interpreted as xenophobic.

Beyond that, he was a loud mouth idiot and he is not missed.
Could? :laugh:

That's an incredibly charitable take, given the man's last appearance on HNIC, was highlighted by the "you people" line.

Cue up the Tropic Thunder memes....

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

And even then how much credit can he get? It took 6 weeks.

I mean if Friedman came out tomorrow and said Patrick Laine is going to Dallas, and then on August 16th 2025 he gets traded to Dallas does Friedman get credit for calling it even though it took a year?

I don't think so, and I don't think Kyper gets credit either this took 6 weeks

I’m not Kypreos fan but I disagree here. His reporting was that they were seriously considering making the captaincy change, which according to the timeline given by Brad/JT seems pretty accurate.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Personally, I think it's pretty much a guarantee that the Leafs will resign Tavares after (or during) this season.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I'm obviously not a professional hockey player, but I am in a leadership role. We find that the crews that are led by guys who maintain professionalism in every aspect of their day, pass that on to those who they lead. Guess which group performs at a higher level and makes fewer mistakes?
So am I and we don’t wear suits to work. Again, if he rolled up wearing slides and beach wear I would have agreed with you. He didn’t. The amount of people who wear suits to work is vastly different than it used to be. It’s a changing world.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
So much for the childhood dream eh John.

Seeing the look on your face while you handed that jersey over all I could think is one thing. Why in God's good name would you go along with this instead of demanding a trade. Are you really that much of a gutless puke you're actually gonna let them strip you of the C the last year of your tenure and still stick around.

You got the idea from Marleau didn't you.

Or from Thornton. I knew signing a guy with the name "No Show" Joe to provide veteran leadership was a questionable idea at best when it happened. Looks even more stupid in hindsight.

Not as stupid as signing Tavares though.

A franchise crippling mistake. By a rookie GM eager to make a name for himself by signing the richest free agent contract in ML$E history. By now even Tavares must admit his childhood dream didn't have the fairy tale ending he'd hoped for.

More like a nightmare that keeps getting worse and worse.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

Seeing the look on your face while you handed that jersey over all I could think is one thing. Why in God's good name would you go along with this instead of demanding a trade. Are you really that much of a gutless puke you're actually gonna let them strip you of the C the last year of your tenure and still stick around.

Or from Thornton. I knew signing a guy with the name "No Show" Joe to provide veteran leadership was a questionable idea at best when it happened. Looks even more stupid in hindsight.

A franchise crippling mistake. By a rookie GM eager to make a name for himself by signing the richest free agent contract in ML$E history. By now even Tavares must admit his childhood dream didn't have the fairy tale ending he'd hoped for.

Tavares is here for his wife and family. That's priority number 1. The Leafs are on board and will re-sign him soon. I love you, you love me. We're a happy family. With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won't you say you love me too.

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Dubas screwed this team in the first few weeks of his tenure.

Shanahan has to feel like a failure hiring Dubas.

At some point they must have asked him to waive and he refused.

It's impossible to see this as anything more than a hardball negotiation tactic. An attempt to get him to waive. Making him get up there in front of the cameras like that just adds to the humiliation.

Both on ice and off Tavares is a spineless wimp who won't stand up for himself.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

In retrospect I have to agree, paying JT was the beginning of the end for this era if the Leafs, It’ll be close to 100 years of futility before they figure out how to build a tesm, if it ever happens at all. I mist likely have seen Toronto win it’s last cup……

Dubas screwed this team in the first few weeks of his tenure.

Shanahan has to feel like a failure hiring Dubas.
Shanahan’s ego probably believes he’s a hockey genius……..

Tavares is here for his wife and family. That's priority number 1. The Leafs are on board and will re-sign him soon. I love you, you love me. We're a happy family. With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won't you say you love me too.
More like this……….

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
At some point they must have asked him to waive and he refused.

It's impossible to see this as anything more than a hardball negotiation tactic. An attempt to get him to waive. Making him get up there in front of the cameras like that just adds to the humiliation.

Both on ice and off Tavares is a spineless wimp who won't stand up for himself.
If this was the ploy it looks bad on the Leafs and worse on JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad