Draisatl's future in Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
This is a guy that is broken...knows that his team will never win anything but is ok with repeating the process because he has given up on continuing to try.

Like a relationship that has taken its toll on both unhappy participants...they grudgingly stay together without as much drama because they can't fight anymore...but they can't find the energy to hope anymore either. They will play their parts with minimal push back until it just ends.

Yeah the team that came within 1 goal of a cup. Low level trolling attempt friend

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Personally as an Oiler hater, I hope they sign this guy for a long time, at a lot of money.
Me too, cause then MM and AM will demand even more money than Drai, all while continuing to humiliate and embarrass leaf fans with first round bow outs. Never thought I'd agree with a leaf fan

Reactions: Duke74

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Edmonton could fix a lot of holes in their lineup by trading Drai. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. Something Toronto doesnt seem to want to ever do.

Getting yourself a real NHL goalie and a real #1D can easily take you to the next level.

Sign and trade. But what team would have the assets to make that move?

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Correct me if I'm wrong, Oil Fans, but aren't he and McDavid neighbors at least with their summer houses in Edmonton? Their SOs are friendly with each other as well? If so, keeping him is a no brainer even if it were just to keep Connor happy.

The comment does sound a bit wishy washy, but it could be for leverage. I think Edmonton will want to keep him, and--if they indeed are friends outside of hockey--I think he will want to stay. I think 11.5 - 13 mil should be the target for the team... Similar cap percentage. Otherwise, it risks being an overpayment as he ages, I think. I am 80% certain he stays.

Luckily, I am not a GM. 😅 If they aren't as close as I mention above, I would probably ask Connor for input and give him a heads up that I think the next move is better for the team. I'd buy out Campbell and gamble on making a trade involving Drai depending on what's out there, of course. A 2C replacement or a winger and additional assets in positions of need, such as stable goaltending (Saros?!). You could have Nuge as the 2C, then use the assets and cap space acquired to bolster the team in other areas. Could be a HUGE mistake... There's a reason GMs don't often trade hallmark players. It working for Florida doesn't necessarily mean much because that's a huge win for them.

I am self-aware in that it's not as easy to make deals as fans often make it out to be. Other GMs have to be willing to sell, and they aren't stupid. The safe play is definitely to keep him--he could age well, after all, and you risk ruining team chemistry by trading him. I may be biased in favor of a trade because I don't like Drai. 😂 Still, it'd make the team less top heavy and could increase depth... The key part is keeping Connor and doing whatever keeps him content or at least on-board with the moves. He is worth every penny.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
“I love being an Oiler more than anything.”

That's 100% a lie. There's at least one thing he loves more than being an Oiler and that's MONEY. And that will get proven in Edmonton or another city that has an NHL franchise within approximately 1 year.

Simple as.
Everyone knows that he is going to get paid and he deserves whatever he gets.

I think he retires as an Oiler.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He was already a 70 point player when this contract was signed so this is silly.
Who was getting 8 mil contracts back then? Genuinely asking, I’m assuming 8 mil bought you more back then than now, and he was RFA which fans always consider

I do remember vaguely the contract discussions on here about Drai being a lot difference then than now

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I think he's staying but they're gonna have to bring out the Brinks truck. He already did them a favor on the last contract.

a30161b6a79a63418430347138cbf852.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
i think he stays but maybe signs only 3-4 years like matthews so he can gtfo with prime years left if things go south.

Prime years left after 3-4 years? The guy turns 29 in Oct. It's very likely he's currently at the tail end of his prime years. This is his last big payday.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Edmonton could fix a lot of holes in their lineup by trading Drai. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. Something Toronto doesnt seem to want to ever do.

Getting yourself a real NHL goalie and a real #1D can easily take you to the next level.

Sign and trade. But what team would have the assets to make that move?
@AvroArrow had a good proposal around Nurse + Drai for Ullmark + McAvoy that was the closest thing to what this trade could actually look like imo

Too bad

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Obviously, this is athlete speak for "If the Oilers open the vault and make me one of the top two or three highest paid players in the game of course I'll stay and fake a smile."

He's a great player. He produces at an extremely high level in the regular season and puts up excellent numbers in the playoffs (even if he faded towards the end this year). He does have some weaknesses though and I question 1) How much the Oilers would truly miss him if they shipped him out 2) Whether he can truly be the centerpiece another team can build around to not only be a contender but win the Cup.

Even with a rising cap, if the Oilers pay him a boatload it could be an anchor sooner than later. I think the reality is, McDavid is so good that he could play at virtually the same level with Draisaitl out of the picture. That cap space could do wonders to bring balance to the lineup.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Who was getting 8 mil contracts back then? Genuinely asking, I’m assuming 8 mil bought you more back then than now, and he was RFA which fans always consider

Jakub Voracek? Ryan Johansen? Corey Perry? Jamie Benn?

Were those better investments at the time than Draisatl as an RFA? Two got bought out, one nearly was, and the other's contract was sent to the Arizona Cap Ranch. If you look at it as cap % at the time the deal was signed, there are plenty of other crappy examples.

Not directed at you, but this is what confuses me about a lot of the discourse in this thread. In sports fandom, people equate "getting as much money as you deserve for your work" to "being an asshole."

When players start to actually know their worth and understand their leverage, things change. He was an RFA, but he didn't go with existing precedent of taking a big second-contract discount just because, and it turned out it was worth it for both the team and the player. Players' primes are typically through their 20's and careers can end abruptly. He's smart. If that bothers folks, they should go ask their boss for a raise.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Obviously, this is athlete speak for "If the Oilers open the vault and make me one of the top two or three highest paid players in the game of course I'll stay and fake a smile."

He's a great player. He produces at an extremely high level in the regular season and puts up excellent numbers in the playoffs (even if he faded towards the end this year). He does have some weaknesses though and I question 1) How much the Oilers would truly miss him if they shipped him out 2) Whether he can truly be the centerpiece another team can build around to not only be a contender but win the Cup.

Even with a rising cap, if the Oilers pay him a boatload it could be an anchor sooner than later. I think the reality is, McDavid is so good that he could play at virtually the same level with Draisaitl out of the picture. That cap space could do wonders to bring balance to the lineup.
So a team that just went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals needs balance and can improve by trading its second best player?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Why would he leave Edmonton? Edmonton will give him as much money as anyone. He gets to play with his buddy McDavid. The Oilers are as close to being a Cup winner as anyone. He loves being an Oiler.
I have yet to hear a good argument why he wouldn't resign in Edmonton.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why would he leave Edmonton? Edmonton will give him as much money as anyone. He gets to play with his buddy McDavid. The Oilers are as close to being a Cup winner as anyone. He loves being an Oiler.
I have yet to hear a good argument why he wouldn't resign in Edmonton.

because living in cali is nicer than the north pole and some people would prefer not dealing with the media in an insane hockey market

not saying it'll happen, but that's the argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad