Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I commented on it but Babcock said the same thing about Kessel.

If they return with the same core, this is going to free up a lot of time for me this season.

First of all, Kessel was a stand up guy. Nobody ever questioned him. He wasn't top 5 player in the league. His job was to score, he scored while making Bozaks career

About coming back to the same core. More and more it feels like it will be the same band. Yeah I'll have to be at gym more often. I'm done with this shi++

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
First of all, Kessel was a stand up guy. Nobody ever questioned him. He wasn't top 5 player in the league. His job was to score, he scored while making Bozaks career

About coming back to the same core. More and more it feels like it will be the same band. Yeah I'll have to be at gym more often. I'm done with this shi++

I'm not diminishing Kessel at all, he was a 1st line / top 6 RW on a bad team with a (at best) 2nd line centre or a high end 3C in Bozak.

I am simply pointing out that Babcock was hyping up / talking big about looking forward to working with Kessel, he never did, we traded Kessel. It's just selling.

Reactions: fahad203

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If the leafs could remove some salary up front:

Rielly (7.5m) Tanev (3m)
Zadorov (5m) Ekblad (7.5m)
Benoit (1.35m) McCabe (2m)
Edmundson (2m) Lyubushkin (2m)
$30,350,000m

I believe Ekblad is their target for next year with Tavares’ money.

I think their goal is to rebuild the defense, keep Marner, Matthews, Nylander and bring Debrusk

Because it's time.

Economically, it doesn't work, but in terms of team chemistry and culture, it has not worked.

I get that, but I don’t think the leafs are gonna make that move TBH, I think this year is rebuilding the defense. It’s pretty clear they are waiting until Tavares is off the cap.

But who knows it’s all speculation! They could have a Marner deal ready. It’s hard to get a read. I can see both things happening. Plan A where they keep him

Plan B where they move him. For me it all depends on how free agency goes.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I think their goal is to rebuild the defense, keep Marner, Matthews, Nylander and bring Debrusk

I get that, but I don’t think the leafs are gonna make that move TBH, I think this year is rebuilding the defense. It’s pretty clear they are waiting until Tavares is off the cap.

But who knows it’s all speculation! They could have a Marner deal ready. It’s hard to get a read. I can see both things happening. Plan A where they keep him

who is playing 2C? #1D? #1G?

dumping marner solves a lot of issues and gives Leafs cap flexibility. Marner has shown for 8 years that he is a playoff choker. Leafs will make the playoffs even without marner on the roster. And IMO will fair a lot better in the playoffs without marner in the line up

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
7 yrs at $2.5m, front loaded, is perfect… tanev gets $18m for 3 years… makes total sense
Pretty sure you can only double salary.

So you would have to

3.25 for 3. 1.25 for 3 kinda deal. You can’t just give it all in the first 3 years

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

dumping marner solves a lot of issues and gives Leafs cap flexibility. Marner has shown for 8 years that he is a playoff choker. Leafs will make the playoffs even without marner on the roster. And IMO will fair a lot better in the playoffs without marner in the line up
Yup. No offense from the back end still either outside of Rielly.

I commented on it but Babcock said the same thing about Kessel.

If they return with the same core, this is going to free up a lot of time for me this season.
I don't remember Babcock ever saying anything about Kessel. If anything I remember him mentioning everyone like Dion, Naz etc but NOT Kessel.

Reactions: PromisedLand

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Ekblad would be, Joseph Woll is the guy. Treliving has said it, they are gonna extend him. If they didn’t believe in Woll they would have gone out and acquired one of the many goalies who were available. #2 you can find good centers in UFA.

I’m okay with either options whether they keep Marner or trade him because I think the defense will be more mobile and better defensively. So the team will be good with or without Marner

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

As for your last sentence, Marner isn’t the sole reason we lost in the playoffs and it’s kind of absurd to think so.

Moving Marner doesn’t = we start winning rounds. If the culture within the team doesn’t change it will be the exact same. Marner is taking most of the heat but there is one player who has the power to change everything and that’s 34. Unless he steps it up, it doesn’t matter whether we let go of Tavares, trade Nylander or Trade Marner. It’ll be the same shit.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

How is there a plan to keep him?

Is he going to be an own rental? or are they going to sign him for 12.5 for however many years?

Either idea is not the best scenario.

I've been fairly indifferent to Steve Dangle over the years, but his podcast did a segment on the whole cap situation and pretty much laid it out logically and succinctly. It's just not really feasible, and it probably never was.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How is there a plan to keep him?

Is he going to be an own rental? or are they going to sign him for 12.5 for however many years?

Either idea is not the best scenario.

I've been fairly indifferent to Steve Dangle over the years, but his podcast did a segment on the whole cap situation and pretty much laid it out logically and succinctly. It's just not really feasible, and it probably never was.

Idk I don’t think the leafs budge over 11.5. Who knows maybe he accepts that. I watched that video as well. There’s some holes in there. He mentions that the leafs resign Tavares at 4-6 million. I think there’s a zero percent chance of that happening. I think Tavares signs cheap or he’s stamkos’d.

Reactions: Sypher04

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Pretty sure you can only double salary.

So you would have to

3.25 for 3. 1.25 for 3 kinda deal. You can’t just give it all in the first 3 years

as far as I'm aware like you said the lowest year cant be less then 50% of the highest year, so for simplicity if a player gets 4 million in year 1 as a front loaded deal 2 million is the lowest he can be paid in any other year afterwards.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Idk I don’t think the leafs budge over 11.5. Who knows maybe he accepts that. I watched that video as well. There’s some holes in there.
Well, he and his camp view him as better than Nylander, so...
He mentions that the leafs resign Tavares at 4-6 million. I think there’s a zero percent chance of that happening. I think Tavares signs cheap or he’s stamkos’d.
Well, If it is Tavares or whichever #2c, you assume that amount of money is taking that position. Which with AM @ 13.2, WN @ 11.5, and MM @ 12.5? puts you in the same cap crunch as now more or less. He also figured that with a low guess on Knies.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I actually took a risk and watched that. One of the very rare times when he doesn't scream like a total maniac.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Well, he and his camp view him as better than Nylander, so...

Well, If it is Tavares or whichever #2c, you assume that amount of money is taking that position. Which with AM @ 13.2, WN @ 11.5, and MM @ 12.5? puts you in the same cap crunch as now more or less. He also figured that with a low guess on Knies.

The point is Steve is assuming the worst. Very minimal cap rise, everyone potentially taking the most money possible. While that is one hypothetical scenario it’s not defacto

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ekblad would be, Joseph Woll is the guy. Treliving has said it, they are gonna extend him. If they didn’t believe in Woll they would have gone out and acquired one of the many goalies who were available. #2 you can find good centers in UFA.

I’m okay with either options whether they keep Marner or trade him because I think the defense will be more mobile and better defensively. So the team will be good with or without Marner

We need some offense from the blue line besides Rielly who can drive the play. We also need someone who is a point shot threat on the PP. Rielly isn't it; we've had enough evidence of it.

In terms of wingers: we have: Nylander, Knies, Cowan, McMann, Robertson, potentially Domi, Bert and DeBrusk. I think we would have enough wingers to be successful. Marner is not required; especially given how Marner goes into a shell when opposition adjusts and players harder from Gm4 to Gm7. Marner also makes glaring mistakes defensively in playoffs that costs Leafs games. I am not gonna repeat what I've already posted in Marner thread. Feel free to look at my post (just some big gaffes) of marner

As far as I am concerned Marne is a net negative, especially in the playoffs.

Our need is fixing our PP and PK, getting a solid 2C to compliment our wingers. Marner's time is up. He should be traded, and if he wants to be an ass and playout his last year then so be it; let him walk as a UFA.

We need: #1D (offensive), #1G (Woll* is an asterisk, need another goalie), and a center to play 2C so tavares can slide to 3C giving up depth

That is how I would be building the team if I was Treliving for next season. And then when Tavares is off the cap improve team even more that doesn't include Marner and the ridiculous 12+ AAV on the Leafs cap)

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Why would it be? If I’m the leafs why am I moving Marner?

You can wait till 2025 and let Tavares walk. Make a pitch for Ekblad. I wholeheartedly believe Tavares is who they want to get rid of

Even if this is true, that's still going to be at minimum $36.25M (if Marner were to sign the Nylander contract. He'll want more) tied up in forwards with two of them wingers and not much capital to go out and get that desperately needed top tier defenseman, isn't it?

I'm not sure this is a winning formula.

If one of Mitch or Willy was a D I would feel a lot better about this team's future. Even a C....

Reactions: francis246

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As for your last sentence, Marner isn’t the sole reason we lost in the playoffs and it’s kind of absurd to think so.

Moving Marner doesn’t = we start winning rounds. If the culture within the team doesn’t change it will be the exact same. Marner is taking most of the heat but there is one player who has the power to change everything and that’s 34. Unless he steps it up, it doesn’t matter whether we let go of Tavares, trade Nylander or Trade Marner. It’ll be the same shit.

I'd argue that Marner has kept Matthews from beasting in the playoffs due to marner's micky mouse play in the playoffs and reluctance to play heavy hockey, take hits to make plays, be open to take a shot when matthews make a play b/c his shot is always covered, and marner not going into corners to dig/fight for pucks.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
So when the president said the time for patience is over and we need to put everything on the table, what he meant was "Sheldon get ready to learn New Jersese buddy"

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Why would it be? If I’m the leafs why am I moving Marner?

You can wait till 2025 and let Tavares walk. Make a pitch for Ekblad. I wholeheartedly believe Tavares is who they want to get rid of

Because he has 0 goals in critical games 5, 6, 7 of the playoffs, is looking for a raise from his 11 million dollar contract and he's the only piece that is currently movable from our loser core.

And quite honestly it goes far beyond the stats, the man is a complete and total f***ing embarrassment to watch out there, the longer the series goes the harder the play and the softer, more pathetic Mitch gets.

Run it back for the 8th year in a row I suppose, what could possibly go wrong?

Good lord our key guys are all either 30 or pushing 30 and some of you have become so accustomed to this loser team that you seemingly have no issues burning another year of their primes.

This team is beyond f***ed with no end in sight.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t understand why some still have faith in the core.
They can’t do it, like they really can’t. They had not shown any signs that they are improving and understanding what it takes to win in the playoffs.
AM took over a game last playoffs, Willie did too, but we need a lot more from them for winning 16games in the playoffs. Esp since Coyle outplayed AM, and MM did his usual disappearing act except this time, he did it starting Game 1.
It is a struggle for them to even win 4 games.
I just can’t see how a coach like Berube will suddenly make them miles and miles better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad