Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Morgan Rielly - Chris Tanev
Jake McCabe - Matt Roy
Simon Benoit - Deharnais?

Not a chance in blue hell Klingberg is coming back lmfao

He might. He has been rehabbing in Toronto.
The guy is a 50 pt RHD.

Need a pp qb.
He can easily be a 3rd pair D when healthy.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yep yep yep and they gave a 7th because they couldn’t wait 2 days

Appears Tre is tunnel visioned on certain guys

We are in trouble

Or you have a player who wants to be in Toronto and would like deal done now? Sometimes if you wait till UFA you get offers you can’t refuse. I think this just a case of the player wants to be here, deal is essentially done, why wait and potentially let other teams get involved.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tanev is 34 man. I think he IS done. He is really injury prone too. At least it isn't a 35+ contract I gues......

I think he has it in him, Dallas with him on the ice against Eichel and MacKinnon were dominant, I think by the time they faced Edmonton, he was playing hurt.

2 years though, that's it.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Or you have a player who wants to be in Toronto and would like deal done now? Sometimes if you wait till UFA you get offers you can’t refuse. I think this just a case of the player wants to be here, deal is essentially done, why wait and potentially let other teams get involved.
You think he's negotiated with Toronto but doesn't have an idea what other teams will offer?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
OEL would be nice addition to provide some offense from the blue line especially if they move Lily. He can PP the top unit.

He is a name I’m interested in under certain circumstances

He was pretty solid for the Panthers in the playoffs.
I take that back. OEL is good for some needed offense. Wish they would try for Roy though

Reactions: Rob Brown

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Reading this board's overreactions sometimes is comical. Remember last year when everyone was all over Tre for not doing anything pre-July 1? And then 3 days later he goes out and signs both Bertuzzi and Domi to very reasonable 1 year deals and then everything is hunky dory again. Remember the furor over Benoit's pre-season? f***, the media were still bringing that up on game 72 of the reg season as if it was still a concern! Meanwhile he had literally been one of the team's biggest bright spots ALL YEAR. but, but, but that pre-season though...durr

Marner, IF traded, was NEVER going to be traded before July 1 so just stop right now with the bitching over that.

And what if Marner does not waive? well then he becomes the villain and we all know how that will play out. And Tavares and his contract - still on the team at least one more year, we've known this - so live with it.

Ya'll are also fooling yourselves with Shanahan, IMHO. I firmly believe and for good reason, he has been neutered and probably no longer holds the strings as much as some imagine he does.

New CEO, new coach, new-ish GM. Let's give it some time and see where it goes before jumping off the bridge.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I don’t know what the adage is for being duped every off season do you?

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think he has it in him, Dallas with him on the ice against Eichel and MacKinnon were dominant, I think by the time they faced Edmonton, he was playing hurt.

2 years though, that's it.

thats the thing though. Dallas actually plays a heavy game, Leafs don't our forwards skate around like ballerinas in the offensive zone. Question is can Tanev take hits and dish out in the east against fast forechecking teams? We will see.....

Hopefully AAV isn't crazy enough. Brodie and Gio tanked bad and quite dramatically after a certain age....

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
CJ said they are going at Roy and
Tanev.

Personally i would want

McCabe. Roy
Rielly. Tanev
Benoit. Klingberg (1 million)

Thant would cover
Size/snarl/pp/pk
Handedness

For probably. 21-22 million Then get topi up for some reps.

Dreger mentioned OEL and Zadorov. More LHDs added to a squad that needs RHD badly after Tanev

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
thats the thing though. Dallas actually plays a heavy game, Leafs don't our forwards skate around like ballerinas in the offensive zone. Question is can Tanev take hits and dish out in the east against fast forechecking teams? We will see.....

Hopefully AAV isn't crazy enough. Brodie and Gio tanked bad and quite dramatically after a certain age....

Hopefully he's like Hainsey :)

• Love

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Keep in mind Berube’s style is different than Keefe’s

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I wasn't fuming lol... I want them to get a move on things but in this situation it seemed Tanev was already a lock to sign so what your saying is a bit disingenuous.
Nothings ever a lock. If you wait to July 1st someone might come in with a great offer for him last minute and he signs there. Nothing wrong with this trade.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Keep in mind Berube’s style is different than Keefe’s

Berube did mention more of a north-south systems with 5 man unit in every zone complementing each other. that could lead to better performance in the playoffs. we still need significant UPGRADE in our special teams both PP and PK though

Tanev on PK will help (assuming he stays halthy enough and doesn;'t decline like brodie/gio). We sill need someone on #1PP and another d-man that will drive offense from the blue line besides Rielly even strength

this is freakin' DUMB. At least qualify him or hell trade his rights for something.

WTF is this stupidity?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
why in the effing blue hell are we getting OLD on the blue line? We need offense from the D. Who is gonna provide that?

We go from one extreme of dubas to another extreme of treliving

can we have someone with some middle ground ffs
You must be a lot of fun at party’s. hey can’t sign any free agents yet. And have lots of time to make trades. Why not complain about the the GM when the season starts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad