Draft R5 #159: Rangers select Nathan Aspinall (LW, Flint Firebirds/OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Unranked (not even a prospect writeup) by HP
Unranked by EP

Per EP:

Nathan Aspinall isn’t the usual towering forward prospect. He’s not a powerful checker or clumsy player. Instead, he’s a fluid, skilled playmaker who might become the rare offensively-inclined 6-foot-7 forward.
For the most part, Aspinall stations himself around the net. He moves across the slot, pushes high, and blocks the goalie views – and while deflecting every puck that comes within his wingspan. And there are flashes of more. He’s a skilled, adaptable passer who feathers pucks through tight seams off the backhand, and even draws defensive pressure to pass through it

.View attachment 889536

I love that he's good with deflections. Bulk him up to 220 and place him in front of the net.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This will forever be known as the Matt Rempe draft. It's absurd how many huge players have been drafted.

Look at how insanely gigantic the 6th round is.
Image 6-29-24 at 2.48 PM.jpeg

Matt Rempe broke the NHL.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Wait a second. This is hilarious. Read the dart guy's Wiki:

"Aspinall played semi-professional football as a goalkeeper, having once been scouted by Manchester United's academy. He was offered a deal by Rangers but turned it down as his family did not want to move to Scotland. He played in Stockport County's academy until he was 15, joining Cheadle Town. He worked as a trainee accountant before quitting to become a professional darts player."

Different Rangers, obviously, but you can't make this shit up. 🤣 That's actually legitimately funny.
I like this.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Unranked (not even a prospect writeup) by HP
Unranked by EP

Per EP:

Nathan Aspinall isn’t the usual towering forward prospect. He’s not a powerful checker or clumsy player. Instead, he’s a fluid, skilled playmaker who might become the rare offensively-inclined 6-foot-7 forward.
For the most part, Aspinall stations himself around the net. He moves across the slot, pushes high, and blocks the goalie views – and while deflecting every puck that comes within his wingspan. And there are flashes of more. He’s a skilled, adaptable passer who feathers pucks through tight seams off the backhand, and even draws defensive pressure to pass through it

.View attachment 889536
Jeff Toms plus 3 inches?

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Say what you will about hockey, but the Rangers basketball team will be awesome! Rempe, Edstrom, Roobroeck, Boyko, and Hugo Ollas are all at least 6-foot-7, and Chmelar can come off the bench as a guard because he's kinda short at 6'5.
Chmelar's new nickname on the Pack is Trivigno.

• Haha
Reactions: egelband and tlk

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This looks like a wasted pick, especially for a team that had so few picks in the draft to begin with. At least take someone with some upside.
How much upside do you expect to find in the 5th round?

There's value in drafting kids who project to be bottom of the lineup players.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

"Aspinall played semi-professional football as a goalkeeper, having once been scouted by Manchester United's academy. He was offered a deal by Rangers but turned it down as his family did not want to move to Scotland. He played in Stockport County's academy until he was 15, joining Cheadle Town. He worked as a trainee accountant before quitting to become a professional darts player."

Different Rangers, obviously, but you can't make this shit up. 🤣 That's actually legitimately funny.
God, it's like they're just throwing darts and seeing where it lands with these picks..

I'll see myself out. Cringed as I hit post with that one.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
There’s still good players to be had in the late rounds but NYR legitimately never hit. Im pretty sure Cuylle/Jones are the only players drafted rounds 2-7 to play 40+ games with the team since Buchnevich was picked

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

Not wanting to move to Scotland and choosing Stockport instead is like not wanting to move to Canada and choosing to go live in Flint or something other backwards ass dump. It's an industrial revolution hangover shit hole.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
How much upside do you expect to find in the 5th round?

There's value in drafting kids who project to be bottom of the lineup players.
I don't disagree there is value in drafting to project for the bottom lines. From what I had read, I don't know how much upside this kid has. What what I've seen, what's being predicted for him is the same as what's been projected for Matt Rempe (how he turns out, we'll see). Projects. Maybe I'm fussy, but would've like someone who is a little further along in their development. That may be just me though; I could be wrong; I hope I am.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad