Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thank you for your opinion- it is valued but it's your opinion.

Heinola and freij have very similar scouting reports - the boom or bust and tunnel vision makes him closer to niku if we are honest

And sure the Jets need another Tanev or more likely AJF... perfect - depth wins cups ;)

Two picks gets you John Marino - sign me up any day.

Alright let's play a game. Name your alternate picks for this draft at each spot the Jets picked. Put it in stone and we can revisit this post in a few seasons and see how much better or worse you would have done. If you don't hit on more picks then you have to change your avatar to a picture of Hillier with a caption that says "Hillier is a better drafter than me." for an entire calender year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Alright let's play a game. Name your alternate picks for this draft at each spot the Jets picked. Put it in stone and we can revisit this post in a few seasons and see how much better or worse you would have done. If you don't hit on more picks then you have to change your avatar to a picture of Hillier with a caption that says "Hillier is a better drafter than me." for an entire calender year.
How about that's stupid. And we are not eight.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Its okay to be scared to be wrong.
It's also okay not to waste time on picks that aren't making the NHL

I personally don't need to be better than Hillier- but right now jets are not even close to the best drafting team in the NHL...

Let's watch the block of three before and three after friej to see where Hillier sits

We can watch Barlow compared to the next D off the board who is Bonk and the next C that was Oliver Moore

I'd take Lian Bischel over McGroarty even without the controversy

same with every pick... who was the next couple D available and who was the next legit C

Who would have helped our team more long term - perfetti or guhle/schneider? I wanted lundell because he's a C but the D were rhe off the board picks we should have made

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I personally don't need to be better than Hillier- but right now jets are not even close to the best drafting team in the NHL...

Let's watch the block of three before and three after friej to see where Hillier sits

We can watch Barlow compared to the next D off the board who is Bonk and the next C that was Oliver Moore

same with every pick... who was the next couple D available and who was the next legit C

Who would have helped our team more long term - perfetti or guhle/schneider? I wanted lundell because he's a C but the D were rhe off the board picks we should have made

So your saying we should never draft wingers no matter what?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
W

Were you saying that at the time of the picks though?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So your saying we should never draft wingers no matter what?
Again it depends on team upcoming needs - I'm saying draft BPA with a preference to D and natural C - if you're in the top 10 of course all bets are off

A good dman plays 18-24 mins a night... look how many of those minute munchers were not top 15 picks... now look how many top six forwards are not top 15 picks

A center can be moved to wing - you needs scouts who can identify who the real centers are though... lambert looks like a hit but that's all we've had for a while

Never say never but outside the top ten - I'd really really focus on D and C

Again I think this draft year is blah... but I am watching schneider and lundell v perfetti because they were my choices

Ceulemans and lambos were my preference to lucius but injuries happen and I wasn't against the pick

I wanted lambert over mcgroarty so I'm not complaining

Last year was meh but if it's Barlow or Moore and Moore is a natural C then yeah Moore.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Again it depends on team upcoming needs - I'm saying draft BPA with a preference to D and natural C - if you're in the top 10 of course all bets are off

A good dman plays 18-24 mins a night... look how many of those minute munchers were not top 15 picks... now look how many top six forwards are not top 15 picks

A center can be moved to wing - you needs scouts who can identify who the real centers are though... lambert looks like a hit but that's all we've had for a while

Never say never but outside the top ten - I'd really really focus on D and C

Again I think this draft year is blah... but I am watching schneider and lundell v perfetti because they were my choices

Ceulemans and lambos were my preference to lucius but injuries happen and I wasn't against the pick

I wanted lambert over mcgroarty so I'm not complaining

Last year was meh but if it's Barlow or Moore and Moore is a natural C then yeah Moore.

Your needs now won't necessarily be your needs in the future. That's why you take the player you think has the highest chance of making it in the NHL regardless of position. Back in 2018 we had one of the best D cores in the league fast forward a couple years and all that remained was Morrissey.

You just never know how things will look even a year out. Guys want out, decline or chase money elsewhere and quickly a position of strength turns into a position of weakness.

On the flip side if things are close between a center and a winger on my list I may defer to the center.

Reactions: gojetsgo

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Your needs now won't necessarily be your needs in the future. That's why you take the player you think has the highest chance of making it in the NHL regardless of position. Back in 2018 we had one of the best D cores in the league fast forward a couple years and all that remained was Morrissey.

You just never know how things will look even a year out. Guys want out, decline or chase money elsewhere and quickly a position of strength turns into a position of weakness.

On the flip side if things are close between a center and a winger on my list I may defer to the center.
imagine if we didn't draft rhd because we had buff trouba myers...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Reading up on each player and comparing where various sites had them ranked it looks like Chevy got good value in the draft considering we didn’t have a 1st. As best I can tell anyways out at the lake sitting on the deck drinking margaritas with company that are pretty casual hockey fans. Though they were excited by the rumours of Laine possibly coming back.

Reactions: ps241 and SCP Guy

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

The argument is that your needs will ALWAYS be defencemen.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
imagine if we didn't draft rhd because we had buff trouba myers...
Sorry... we drafted RHD at some point during the buff Trouba Myers years...?? I remember Kovacevic but everyone now says he was just a hack because he's not our prospect... was there someone else?

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Reading up on each player and comparing where various sites had them ranked it looks like Chevy got good value in the draft considering we didn’t have a 1st. As best I can tell anyways out at the lake sitting on the deck drinking margaritas with company that are pretty casual hockey fans. Though they were excited by the rumours of Laine possibly coming back.

Are they of Finnish decent? :sarcasm:

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Kevin Chevyldayoff….never failing to disappoint. Hey but hopefully we can count on Chipman rewarding Chevy’s continued incompetence with a 15 year contract extension…

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Kevin Chevyldayoff….never failing to disappoint. Hey but hopefully we can count on Chipman rewarding Chevy’s continued incompetence with a 15 year contract extension…
What are we disappointed about?

Thanks for the invite!
I got all sorts of hot takes I could fill your ears with ;)
Chevy did alright.
Enjoy the lake, at least post a pic of the sunset!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No kidding. Imagine you take a big D-man in the 3rd round because you need D-men but the BPA is a 5'8" F who goes on to score 30 goals a year. Mind you he'd be useless in the playoffs.

Or he becomes Jonathan Marchessault and leads your team in scoring en route to a Cup and a Symthe. Bigger isn't always better.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad