Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It’s not sustainable. Perhaps we mix in some seasons where we miss the playoffs and we are sellers.

Take the Wild as an example. They just finished a respectable non playoff season where they were somewhat in the hunt until late which keeps fans interested. They had 87 points, drafted 12th, and landed Zeev Buium who I think will eventually play on their top pair with Faber for a decade. Yesterday was a very good day for the future of their franchise.

I am not saying tank, I am saying we need to be smart. Realistically until this group shows something different in the playoffs, this is not a contending core. It’s ok to win now, great to continue to compete now, but don’t sell the farm, find a balance. The years we miss the playoffs we need to sell well (See Copp, Andrew).

Last year was the year we went for it by giving up 4 draft picks. We can’t do that again this year. We need to preserve at least our 1st IMO.
It's a tough market to operate...winning sells tickets...street parties and a packed house come playoff time is more revenue for True North. Missing the playoffs once in 7 seasons was a boon for the team in terms of prospects.

I think there is added pressure on our scouts here...You have to find these gems...This team isn't just built on 1st round picks...Guys like Lowry and Hellebuyck are picks the Jets scouts found deeper in drafts, and they are corner stones...you get 6th round picks like Appleton playing a key role. You have a 2nd round pick in Dylan Samberg who was better than the 1st round pick that year, and arguably better than the 1st round defensemen the year before and after. You have kids like Milic and Julien from the late rounds showing a lot of promise...I think the Jets scouts have to keep finding gems, this is a market where drafting is essential to the makeup of the team...

To become elite you often have to be bad enough to get these elite top 5 picks, but that's not the road the Jets can take unless the injuries devastate the team to a point where they are not good enough. The Jets can't get discount players in free agency because of the market, so the draft is really where it counts...

I heard someone, maybe it was you, talk about the Bruins model of staying the course, never falling off the cliff. That hasn't paid off for the Bruins, but it seems to be the direction the Jets want to take. Hard to tell proud hockey players they have to lose more often, so I'll take another playoff run, but it sure would be nice to get to an exciting game 7 again...been awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's a tough market to operate...winning sells tickets...street parties and a packed house come playoff time is more revenue for True North. Missing the playoffs once in 7 seasons was a boon for the team in terms of prospects.

I think there is added pressure on our scouts here...You have to find these gems...This team isn't just built on 1st round picks...Guys like Lowry and Hellebuyck are picks the Jets scouts found deeper in drafts, and they are corner stones...you get 6th round picks like Appleton playing a key role. You have a 2nd round pick in Dylan Samberg who was better than the 1st round pick that year, and arguably better than the 1st round defensemen the year before and after. You have kids like Milic and Julien from the late rounds showing a lot of promise...I think the Jets scouts have to keep finding gems, this is a market where drafting is essential to the makeup of the team...

To become elite you often have to be bad enough to get these elite top 5 picks, but that's not the road the Jets can take unless the injuries devastate the team to a point where they are not good enough. The Jets can't get discount players in free agency because of the market, so the draft is really where it counts...

I heard someone, maybe it was you, talk about the Bruins model of staying the course, never falling off the cliff. That hasn't paid off for the Bruins, but it seems to be the direction the Jets want to take. Hard to tell proud hockey players they have to lose more often, so I'll take another playoff run, but it sure would be nice to get to an exciting game 7 again...been awhile.

100% agree, this is tough.

The key for them though is sustainability. To achieve that you need to be drafting well and that takes assets. It’s a balancing act and Chevy will need to continue to find a way.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'd take a flyer on Aron Kiviharju at this point. A few years ago it was him and Eisermann as the top two picks in the draft, I don't mind a dart throw at 118.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeesh the illegal curve justification of keeping Schmidt and pionk and not really doing anything... is a depressing way to start your day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad