Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I like the Freij and He picks. I'm indifferent on the rest; may look smart in a few years or just as likely could look bad. Time will tell.

Reactions: ps241

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Take BPA always. You never know what the future holds.
Especially in the mid/late rounds IMHO

Although, I wonder what would happen if you just went into a draft saying "I'm picking defensemen this year". You'd always get the best one available at the spot you're picking, and often you'd get someone who was a faller for some reason

Then next year centres, etc

Kinda like that year when Mike Smith said him only picking Russians this year" lol

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Which pick are you most giddy about?

Freij for sure. Can never go wrong with speed and transition ability. Tons of upside there.

BPA is nonexistent beyond a handful of players... especially not a reality outside of the top 10-15

I'm saying our version of BPA needs adjustment

Every team has a list, stick to your list. Don't deviate for positional need.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Especially in the mid/late rounds IMHO

Although, I wonder what would happen if you just went into a draft saying "I'm picking defensemen this year". You'd always get the best one available at the spot you're picking, and often you'd get someone who was a faller for some reason

Then next year centres, etc

Kinda like that year when Mike Smith said him only picking Russians this year" lol
This only exists on hfboards when someone wants to start a straw man.

Drafts don't exist in a vacuum to the team needs... chib was a good pick because he's a faller but the Jets don't need to hit a home run with a bottom six winger... they need a homerun with D

Mid round D and goalies are more likely to develop into useful nhlers than forwards are

This draft is pretty meh on all sides though so whatever

Reactions: robertocarlos

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The Scouching Report seems to have the ear of the Jets as well.

He had these Jets pucks ranked really high.

Kevin He at #79
Freij at #11
Kieran Walton at #49.

He also had Luke Misa at #20. Too bad we missed him.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Scouching Report seems to have the ear of the Jets as well.

He had these Jets pucks ranked really high.

Kevin He at #79
Freij at #11
Kieran Walton at #49.
Watching YouTube is easier and cheaper than hiring a scouting staff I guess

How have that guys previous dark horses turned out?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's my point - our list has been flawed since hillier took over

I think its been pretty solid. We have drafted well over the last few. You saying you don't like our picks this draft?

He had Lambert at like 3 or 4 I think.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This only exists on hfboards when someone wants to start a straw man.

Drafts don't exist in a vacuum to the team needs... chib was a good pick because he's a faller but the Jets don't need to hit a home run with a bottom six winger... they need a homerun with D

Mid round D and goalies are more likely to develop into useful nhlers than forwards are

This draft is pretty meh on all sides though so whatever
To be fair, it's hard to know what a team's needs will be once a mid round pick has developed to a point where they can contribute. Trades, injuries, draft busts, etc.. they all can happen in the 5years that takes

Since we're talking homeruns... all a batter can do is put the best swing they can on a pitch. In terms of Chibs, that's what the org did. You always go with the guy who has the highest likelihood of becoming an everyday NHL player

Reactions: gojetsgo

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think its been pretty solid. We have drafted well over the last few. You saying you don't like our picks this draft?
Overall I think this is one of those blah draft years... seems like we have another heinola at best

We really dont need another undersized winger and ive also kind of soured on our finnish scouting (and no i dont consider lambert a finnish scouting score - he fell to where character concerns had him)

Late rounds I'd much rather take a flyer on a goalie or a Dman - very very few forward gems are found

Reactions: rkp

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Overall I think this is one of those blah draft years... seems like we have another heinola at best

We really dont need another undersized winger and ive also kind of soured on our finnish scouting (and no i dont consider lambert a finnish scouting score - he fell to where character concerns had him)

Late rounds I'd much rather take a flyer on a goalie or a Dman - very very few forward gems are found

The undersized winger is more of a Tanev then a Petan and the defender is already bigger than Heinola.

So basically nothing like you are describing.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
To be fair, it's hard to know what a team's needs will be once a mid round pick has developed to a point where they can contribute. Trades, injuries, draft busts, etc.. they all can happen in the 5years that takes

Since we're talking homeruns... all a batter can do is put the best swing they can on a pitch. In terms of Chibs, that's what the org did. You always go with the guy who has the highest likelihood of becoming an everyday NHL player
I'm cheering for chibs but if we had gone positional pick then 6'4 rhd Iorio would be in our system likely making the jump this year...

D and natural C are the most costly players to sign or trade for... this is just a simple fact

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm cheering for chibs but if we had gone positional pick then 6'4 rhd Iorio would be in our system likely making the jump this year...

D and natural C are the most costly players to sign or trade for... this is just a simple fact
I don't disagree.. and I think that Chevy probably made a misstep with his run on wingers in the 1st round

After Schief, trouba and Jomo, Chevy went
Ehlers
Connor
Roslovic
Laine
Stanley
Vesalainen

Even recently with Lucious, Barlow, Perfetti (played W in draft year), there is a lack of natural C's and RHD - and low and behold, that's where there are gaping holes into he line up

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The undersized winger is more of a Tanev then a Petan and the defender is already bigger than Heinola.

So basically nothing like you are describing.
Thank you for your opinion- it is valued but it's your opinion.

Heinola and freij have very similar scouting reports - the boom or bust and tunnel vision makes him closer to niku if we are honest

And sure the Jets need another Tanev or more likely AJF... perfect - depth wins cups ;)

Two picks gets you John Marino - sign me up any day.

Reactions: rkp

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

He had Lambert listed as #3 last year.

He had Lucius at #20 and Chibrikov at #22 in their draft years.

He had McGroarty at a mid 2nd round pick.

I believe he had Barlow as a mid to low second rounder.

• Haha
Reactions: WolfHouse

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
He had Lambert listed as #3 last year.

He had Lucius at #20 and Chibrikov at #22 in their draft years.

He had McGroarty at a mid 2nd round pick.

I believe he had Barlow as a mid to low second rounder.
where did he have the jets as SC winners?

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Thank you for your opinion- it is valued but it's your opinion.

Heinola and freij have very similar scouting reports - the boom or bust and tunnel vision makes him closer to niku if we are honest

And sure the Jets need another Tanev or more likely AJF... perfect - depth wins cups ;)

Two picks gets you John Marino - sign me up any day.
Two picks and a place that wasn't on his M-NTC list

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad