Do you consider Auston Matthews a Top-5 Center heading into next year?

Auston Matthews, Top-5C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why do you keep talking about him being on the McDavid/MacKinnon tier when I'm talking about him clearly being ahead of Matthews right now? I didn't say he was on par with those two, I said he's ahead of Matthews, and his production the past two seasons proves that.

I'm also chuckling at "butthurt". I'm not an Oilers fan. Why would I have a personal, emotional stake in what people think about Draisaitl? I just think it's comical that Draisaitl still doesn't get the recognition for what he's done even after he literally just won the Art Ross trophy. If it was Matthews who just won the Art Ross trophy there would be threads insisting he's better than McDavid.
Drai in center discussion is a complex issue considering he doesn't play it full time. And, he only has a fairly small sample size of very high-level performance at it with RNH and Yamamoto that was riding crazy percentages. If you want to say Drai is a better player than Matthews, I'm not going to argue it. But, when it becomes about at center is where it remains a debate.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Drai in center discussion is a complex issue considering he doesn't play it full time. And, he only has a fairly small sample size of very high-level performance at it with RNH and Yamamoto that was riding crazy percentages. If you want to say Drai is a better player than Matthews, I'm not going to argue it. But, when it becomes about at center is where it remains a debate.
The one difference is Matthews has been a center since his first game in the NHL and it's something Draisaitl was not doing.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't think Matthews will be 28-33 next year, could be wrong though

I love it when Leaf fans troll me when they feel threatened. But in reality, I'm not trying to put down the Leafs or Auston Matthews.

Guys like Crosby and Draisaitl I can see being good till they're 35-40. McDavid, I see him regressing as late as 36.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
The one difference is Matthews has been a center since his first game in the NHL and it's something Draisaitl was not doing.

I fail to see why that matters. It's not like it's the first time a player has switched the pos.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
On the PP - certainly.

They did play together at ES again for a small stretch in the fall but Leon did as well without Connor (because the Nuge-Drai-Yams line was beastly and top-5 in the league IMO).

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Draisaitl played with McDavid as much as Matthews played with Marner. Approx 500mins of ES time.

That's a ton of the shortened season.... that's my point.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
That would make sense if we were talking about golfers or singles tennis players.
No, we are talking cap hit/salary structure. If Matthews can’t carry the team then what are the Leafs paying him that contract for? The Leafs salary structure is flawed by overpaying these guys who aren’t living up to their contacts.

Part of that is coaching, Keefe is garbage in the way the set their lines. The way Keefe overloads his lines is straight up amateur. There is only one puck out there. But maybe that’s because he doesn’t believe in his players.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
No, we are talking cap hit/salary structure. If Matthews can’t carry the team then what are the Leafs paying him that contract for? The Leafs salary structure is flawed by overpaying these guys who aren’t living up to their contacts.

Part of that is coaching, Keefe is garbage in the way the set their lines. The way Keefe overloads his lines is straight up amateur. There is only one puck out there. But maybe that’s because he doesn’t believe in his players.

Are you sure you are in the right thread? You may want to read the title again. Skill and game impact are unrelated to cap hit/salary structure.

That's twice you've swung and missed. One more and you're out :)

Reactions: LeafsNation75

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Are you sure you are in the right thread? You may want to read the title again. Skill and game impact are unrelated to cap hit/salary structure.

That's twice you've swung and missed. One more and you're out :)
You opened that door. But at least you agree he doesn’t deserve that contract. Most Leaf fans are still in denial. I respect that from you.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
You opened that door. But at least you agree he doesn’t deserve that contract. Most Leaf fans are still in denial. I respect that from you.

How did I open that door? lol I answered the question in the thread, are you sure you are quoting the right person?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
ES Matthews is by far the best, Pasta makes a killing on that powerplay.

Matthews has also greatly improved his PP efficiency the last two years and his totals are hindered a bit by the Leafs lack of PPs. I don't really see much of an argument for Pasta being the better goalscorer overall.

Reactions: authentic

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has also greatly improved his PP efficiency the last two years and his totals are hindered a bit by the Leafs lack of PPs. I don't really see much of an argument for Pasta being the better goalscorer overall.
Since Matthews rookie season this is where the Leafs ranked in total power play time, so it adds to his lack of power play goals.

2016-17: 21st

2017-18: 31st

2018-19: 30th

2019-20: 27th

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That's a ton of the shortened season.... that's my point.

He spent about the same amount of ice time with Nuge and Yams then a random assortment of ice time with others. So basically more than a third of the total ice time but from Jan onwards he was solely with Nuge and Yams as center. Anyhow, Draisaitl takes most of the draws even with McDavid. Again it’s about the same ice time as Matthews and Marner this season.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Matthews was drafted as center and Draisaitl was drafted as a winger.

Do you even follow hockey or just Leafs? Memorial cup MVP Draisaitl was a center throughout junior. He was beastly as a center. Amazing on the dot.

IMO Matthews is closer to a prototypical winger. He isn’t a great playmaker.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He spent about the same amount of ice time with Nuge and Yams then a random assortment of ice time with others. So basically more than a third of the total ice time but from Jan onwards he was solely with Nuge and Yams as center. Anyhow, Draisaitl takes most of the draws even with McDavid. Again it’s about the same ice time as Matthews and Marner this season.
Shouldn't it be taken to account that besides playing together on the power play, Matthews and Marner were not put on the same line at 5v5 together until December 21, 2019 which was the Leafs 37th game and only after Mike Babcock got fired.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Do you even follow hockey or just Leafs? Memorial cup MVP Draisaitl was a center throughout junior. He was beastly as a center. Amazing on the dot.

IMO Matthews is closer to a prototypical winger. He isn’t a great playmaker.
So how come Draisatil wasn't considered more for being the 1st overall pick in 2014?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad