Do you consider Auston Matthews a Top-5 Center heading into next year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Auston Matthews, Top-5C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For the record, I'd list Draisaitl above Crosby right now if we're basing it on performance this past season. In case people are ehem "butthurt" about Matthews' status daring to be questioned.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For the record, I'd list Draisaitl above Crosby right now if we're basing it on performance this past season. In case people are ehem "butthurt" about Matthews' status daring to be questioned.
If some people want to have Matthews and Draisaitl in the same tier that's their opinion. It doesn't take away what Draisaitl did this season.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
That's because you're looking at their numbers as a whole. I have the opinion that Draisaitl is actually on the Matthews, Eichel, Barkov tier rather than the Mackinnon, McDavid tier. Whether he's playing on the same line as him or centering the 2nd line. He's the only one out of that group that has the luxury of not being the best player on their team and being the primary focus.

You're kidding yourself if you think teams look to stop Draisaitl more than they do McDavid.
With this logic Eichel and Barkov are on a higher tier than Matthews who has Tavares to spilt the hard minutes with.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Well, you are starting a team from scratch, who do you pick?
Or you have a team that you want to win the cup with ASAP, who do you pick?

I go Matthews in both situations, so that's why I consider him "better".
How’s that working out in Toronto?

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I don't think he is better than 3 of the following centers:

Connor McDavid
Patrice Bergeron
Sean Couturier
Elias Pettersson
Nathan MacKinnon
Ryan O'Reilly
Sidney Crosby
Really? I know O’Reilly and Couturier are key players, complete players, players teams win with, but you wouldn’t find a GM that would take either over Matthews if money wasn’t a factor.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
All these boards have shown me lately is that Pettersson and Jones have become crazy overrated. Pettersson is not better than Matthews. Sorry it is what it is.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don’t consider him top 5 heading into the season but I can certainly see him being top 5 by the end. Don’t see him being better than a top 4 of Mcdavid, Mackinnon, Drai and Crosby though.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Why do you keep talking about him being on the McDavid/MacKinnon tier when I'm talking about him clearly being ahead of Matthews right now? I didn't say he was on par with those two, I said he's ahead of Matthews, and his production the past two seasons proves that.

I'm also chuckling at "butthurt". I'm not an Oilers fan. Why would I have a personal, emotional stake in what people think about Draisaitl? I just think it's comical that Draisaitl still doesn't get the recognition for what he's done even after he literally just won the Art Ross trophy. If it was Matthews who just won the Art Ross trophy there would be threads insisting he's better than McDavid.

Craziest thing is, this all started with me saying I think he IS around top 5 and these 2 Leaf fans jump on my throat because I think Eichel is 6. Then they throw the word "butthurt" out there. Sheesh.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad