Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Umm Larkin was out there as well and played more and was +5 vs -12. Why do I care what scouts from his draft year said? In the NHL he is definitely nothing special at all in his own end.
So you don't care what scouts say in their draft year but you're willing to define this player by what "this player sounds like" ...
From who?

If Raymond was called a 2 way player in his draft year and he's actually an extremely effective offensive player at the NHL level what's stopping MBN?

Seider must be worse defensively than Holl based on +/-

When Larkin was injured or entire team was shelled.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
The people saying we should have gone for more skill should be talking about Chernyshov before Eiserman. I think he's more of a sure thing.

Reactions: lilidk

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So you don't care what scouts say in their draft year but you're willing to define this player by what "this player sounds like" ...
From who?

If Raymond was called a 2 way player in his draft year and he's actually an extremely effective offensive player at the NHL level what's stopping MBN?

Seider must be worse defensively than Holl based on +/-

When Larkin was injured or entire team was shelled.

Raymond has been in the league for a bit now, his draft report means nothing at this point. MBN all we have is draft report at the moment and what others on here who know more about his game than I say about him. Does Zadina's draft report mean something still?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Raymond has been in the league for a bit now, his draft report means nothing at this point. MBN all we have is draft report at the moment and what others on here who know more about his game than I say about him. Does Zadina's draft report mean something still?
You missed the point entirely but whatever

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
took a shower, sat on it. Don’t hate it. Kinda like it. He was my 3rd choice behind Eiserman and Hage.
He’s something we don’t have. Big power winger that actually gets dirty and can shoot. I think he’ll pan out better than kasper. Very nice complimentary winger who will grind the forecheck be nose front. Hyman esque? Only thing is you need some skill guys to really make these players shine. Copp Comphers of the world is not going to get the most bang for your buck outta these players.
Would compliment Berggren well but Wings brass dosnt seem to like him.

Reactions: Mr Nimbus

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
I'm higher on eiserman than others. I think at 15 you take a guy that's slipping with elite production. That was a no brainer to me. Trade back up if you want your middle six guy. We could've used that wasted walman pick to move up.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Niklas Lidström: From Mora, Sweden..........
Every cell in my body:

qnx6Lg.gif

YYYEEESSS!!!!!!!!! I told you so, already in December/January that MBN is Detroit bound.

Did you see how happy and pumped up Yzerman, Draper and Lidström were? They couldn't even sit down when Wings were on the clock. YES! Thank you Stevie!

When the goal is to built a team that is hard to play against, then you acquire players that are hard to play against and we certainly got one.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
If they just can set him up he got a heavy heavy shot.
Would I liked a more high skill player potential selected? Yes.
But MBN gonna be an NHL-player if he keeps his trajectory going.
Kreider/Lehkonen grit/work ethic who I think will score all the dirty goals and some bombs of a shot.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
A couple different scouting reports call this guy the best defensive forward in the draft and is an absolute monster in winning board battles and puck retrievals.

Our defense on the wing positions is pretty awful, we really could use this guy now. Hopefully he can be fast tracked.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - May 28th: "If you’re looking for a safe prospect who can play in the middle six and not get himself into trouble, MBN’s your guy. Brandsegg-Nygard looked great at the World Junior Championship for the lowly Norwegians and then finished the year off with a couple of great final games with the men’s national team."
Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Apr. 15th: "He is arguably the best forechecker in the draft, an excellent tactician along the boards, and doesn’t cheat for offense. He commits to playing a sound 200-foot game and does an excellent job in aiding and assisting defenders along the wall while making smart decisions in space with his positioning and stick play.

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 28th: "He thinks the game well and sees plays develop, but I don't think his playmaking is his main asset. Even if he's not very dynamic, Brandsegg-Nygard has a game that should lend itself to success versus men, eventually as a good NHL forward and potentially in a top six.

Not dynamic, middle six, "potentially in a top six".

Again, I hope he turns into something, but this isn't even like the dim praise for Danielson's offense. The guy flat out projects as a checking line winger. Not what this team needs.

He is the kind of guy you draft in the mid first when you are coming out of a tank and have already gotten your multiple top five picks. Not the kind of guy you draft when you are facing a dearth of offensively talented forwards.
Its easy to paint that picture when you pick and choose the scouting reports that help make your point. Ferrari actually loves him so bad example but from the exact same page you pulled those from theres guys saying

"He’s a multifaceted shooter who can score from the top of the circles with his wrister but also gets down to one knee and really powers through a good one-touch shot — skills that have helped him excel on both the flank and the bumper on the power play across domestic and international levels."

"A competitive power forward with very good skating, excellent offensive instincts and a great winning attitude."

"he poses a threat in nearly every facet of the game."

MBN flosses his tooth gap with Zadina.

Great shot, straight line game to the net. Great neutral zone D. Really hard on the forecheck. Physical. I've compared him to a more skilled Lawson Crouse and Ivan Barbashev. Cory Pronman mentioned him as similar to Ryan Leonard as a prospect with a little less skill.

One of the guys on the Athletics first comp for him is Landeskog, yes please. Oshie was the second. I also read a better skating Tyler Bertuzzi. Would love all of those guys on the wing with Raymond on the other side

Its the kind of pick that you win in the playoffs with. This board would rather draft Zadina 2.0s or have a regular season Marner who does nothing come playoff time than win hockey games when they matter
eh yes and no

is he a 2 way player? yes, but he's also a good example of the point they were making

guys like Raymond(or Benson as another recent example) that have high offensive potential and are also good defensively aren't described as two way players in their scouting reports, they'll instead get a bunch of praise for their offensive game and then their defensive game and side stuff like physicality or compete level will also get praised as applicable

as opposed to them being kinda lumped together and them getting literally called a 2 way guy, or it being reversed and the side stuff like physicality and compete level getting the primary mention alongside their defense and then the offensive skillset being mentioned as more of an afterthought

it's a subtle distinction but it's definitely a thing
Its definitely a thing you just made up

"The 18-year-old plays a strong two-way game with excellent vision, intensity, a good wrist shot and a nose for the net, and he's a tremendous asset on the power play and penalty kill."

"Raymond has a high hockey IQ that helps him offensively and makes him reliable defensively"

"His nonstop motor, high IQ, and smothering neutral-zone coverage make him dependable off the puck."

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Going over some of the vids, I'm actually surprised by his shot. He can pick his corners and top shelf, looks like he has a heavy, hard release.
I was also impressed with the technique of his one timers. It is silky smooth and comparable to e.g. Pastrnak or Hossa. Never seen prospects with such a ch kind of one timer recently.

We've got a good one.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I guess ASP isn't any good and is boring because we won't see him in the pre-season either.

It sucks that we don't get to see him either, but that certainly wasn't a boring pick. Not sure why you're implying that the pick was boring because he won't play NHL preseason. I said "and" not "because".

Pretty much everything turns into a weird strawman here.

Reactions: Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad