NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Seriously why are our moron scouts OBSESSED with "hard workers", 95% of 1st round picks are hard workers, it's not some super-special trait.
What are you talking about? They picked a skill player with huge upside.

The scouts are just kinda dumb and old school. Like taking beaudoin in the top 15 is pretty funny and scary.
They didn't do that. What is going on here?

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Going by the PIM list (which almost never fails), the Sens are going to pick one of the following players in the 2nd:

Badinka
Elick
Brunicke
Pulkkinen
Traff
Skahan
Mustard
Wetsch

Of course I'm being optimistic and assuming we won't take some dude ranked in the 8th round.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They must be in utter shock that he's still available at pick 23.

Nevermind that he was ranked 23rd on MacKenzie's list and in the 20-40 range pretty much everywhere.

We need a new scouting staff so badly.
They didn't do what you are complaining about. Is this real? You hated Yakemchuk for months. People that have forgot more about hockey than you've been exposed to liked him.

There's lots to like, he has huge upside. Plays the most valuable position.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They didn't do what you are complaining about. Is this real? You hated Yakemchuk for months. People that have forgot more about hockey than you've been exposed to liked him.

Was the backup plan to Yakemchuk it seems, which is a worrying thought about the scouting staff

Beaudin that is worriesome I mean, an already very low opinion and trust in the scouting staff would take another hit with that

Last edited:
Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I guess Steve Staois reputation is taking a hit here with this pick, not sure why, Yakemchuk basically has all of the qualities Staois wants in a top 4 defenceman, doesn't he also like Tanev a lot? Good size, tough, plays with snarl, hits, fights & has elite offensive abilities. The only question is how far off is he from playing in Ottawa 1, 2 or 3 yrs?

- Ottawa needs to be harder to play against, this guy is hard to play against
- Ottawa needs someone to clear the front of the net, this guy is big enough to do this
- Ottawa needs a guy to skate the puck out of his end, this guy is known for this
- Ottawa needs more scoring from their defence, this guy has an NHL shot & can score from anywhere.

Reactions: LiseL

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

According to Seidel they didn't do it because they didn't think Yakemchuk would fall to 7, which is amusing considering he was largely expected to go 10-14.

The Sens scouting staff clearly thinks the rest of the league are idiots. Their lists routinely differ from the consensus to an absurd degree. No idea how they come up with the idea that Beaudoin is deserving of a top 10 selection, and I'm someone who likes him enough to have voted for him in the HF Mock Draft when we still had pick 25.

There's been zero self-reflection after picking Boucher top 10 and Thomson top 20. They still think they are the smartest people in the room even though it's been proved otherwise at this point.

Also I don't hate Yakemchuk. I thought he'd be a fine pick in the 13-15 range. Just preferred several other players available at 7. Sens staff picking him 7th did nothing to change my mind considering I watched Yakemchuk a ton this year, just like it didn't when I criticized the Boucher/Thomson picks when they were made.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess Steve Staois reputation is taking a hit here with this pick, not sure why, Yakemchuk basically has all of the qualities Staois wants in a top 4 defenceman, doesn't he also like Tanev a lot? Good size, tough, plays with snarl, hits, fights & has elite offensive abilities. The only question is how far off is he from playing in Ottawa 1, 2 or 3 yrs?
Year in WHL, year in AHL with cup of coffee, NHL

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
What are you talking about? They picked a skill player with huge upside.

They didn't do that. What is going on here?
Yakemchuk's hockey IQ is low-like so many of our recent picks-and he's one of the oldest players in the draft, which is partially why his stats are so high. Also, his skating is mediocre.

There's a good chance that his high point totals won't translate to the NHL where you have to think at a fast pace. It's once again, a case of our scouts drafting someone for size and "character".

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The Sens having Beaudoin ranked really high is not surprising at all. They love size, they love work rate, they love athleticism and he plays a position of high value as well. He's a good player. Not a top-10 talent.

The Sens approach the draft a lot differently than most other teams. There is probably no team that places a lower value on pure skills and hockey IQ than Ottawa. It is what it is.

It's not hard to look at the list of names still available and get a good feel for who they're going to take at 39.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Sens having Beaudoin ranked really high is not surprising at all. They love size, they love work rate, they love athleticism and he plays a position of high value as well. He's a good player. Not a top-10 talent.

The Sens approach the draft a lot differently than most other teams. There is probably no team that places a lower value on pure skills and hockey IQ than Ottawa. It is what it is.

It's not hard to look at the list of names still available and get a good feel for who they're going to take at 39.
They need to bring in a new director of amateur scouting, shuffling the chairs around with Boyd jumping in needs to be fixed this summer.

They need to revamp that staff bigtime, there are good pieces, but their directives are extremely poor

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Year in WHL, year in AHL with cup of coffee, NHL
Staois seemed to pull off quite the coup with the acquisition of Ullmark as a legitimate Vezina winning #1 goalie & got them to take Korpisalo who no one thought was possible to move.

Maybe he knows what he is doing with this pick, don't you think a Sanderson - Yakemchuk tandem in a few yrs could be good? They seem like they would compliment each other. Staois was an NHL defenceman, I think he knows what it takes to play in the NHL as an defenceman.

R2010

May 23, 2011
According to Seidel they didn't do it because they didn't think Yakemchuk would fall to 7, which is amusing considering he was largely expected to go 10-14.

The Sens scouting staff clearly thinks the rest of the league are idiots. Their lists routinely differ from the consensus to an absurd degree. No idea how they come up with the idea that Beaudoin is deserving of a top 10 selection, and I'm someone who likes him enough to have voted for him in the HF Mock Draft when we still had pick 25.

There's been zero self-reflection after picking Boucher top 10 and Thomson top 20. They still think they are the smartest people in the room even though it's been proved otherwise at this point.

Also I don't hate Yakemchuk. I thought he'd be a fine pick in the 13-15 range. Just preferred several other players available at 7. Sens staff picking him 7th did nothing to change my mind considering I watched Yakemchuk a ton this year, just like it didn't when I criticized the Boucher/Thomson picks when they were made.
He's not who I preferred amongst who was left. But to be fair there's no way of knowing where he was going to go given how the draft moved along. He easily could've gone the next pick after the sens.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Teammates avoided events he was attending.
Believe what you want.
That’s too many “strikes” for me.
Agreed. There was an Athletic piece that highlighted his checkered history and it wasn't simply a hit job due to the swastika incident. It was a deep dive into a kid with red flags written all over him. I'm no talking about singular 'do not draft' incidents, it's a character that you're just better off not having around if you read between the lines.

Even still, putting all that aside his on ice play is not nearly as inspiring as his highlight reels would make you believe. He has no second effort, he is purely N-S and doesn't change tempo well, his iq is not that high, and he scores goals that prey on mismatches that won't be there at the NHL level.

I foresee a Josh Ho Sang type career.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Staois seemed to pull off quite the coup with the acquisition of Ullmark as a legitimate Vezina winning #1 goalie. Maybe he knows what he is doing with this pick, don't you think a Sanderson - Yakemchuk tandem in a few yrs could be good? They seem like they would compliment each other.
I'm perfectly fine with Yakemchuk until proven otherwise.

Not who I would have picked, but not going to be upset about it

He could be very good for the Sens down the road

R2010

May 23, 2011
I'm perfectly fine with Yakemchuk until proven otherwise.

Not who I would have picked, but not going to be upset about it

He could be very good for the Sens down the road
I just take it as a win that they didn't do something absolutely crazy like Beaudoin in the top 10.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like the pick. I thought we'd go Dickenson or Buium but I trust Staios' judgement as a former Dman himself. Yakemchuk is actually petty well rounded: great hands and shot. physical and gritty, won't back down to anyone. He'll probably play a risky game as a dman and hopefully that gets reigned in. But his cannons from the point are going to be fun to watch.
Kleven has a cannon too from the point, two hard shooting D on the point will be fun to see again.

Last edited:

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I thought there was a 11 of 12 chance I would be happy with the pick but the sens know how to disappoint. Will be happy to support him but I really dislike dmem who shoot nonstop on the pp, it's so low iq in nhl but I guess it's better in junior. At least he's getting reps in !

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Watching the playoffs, it was very evident that few current Sens could produce the grit and intensity level shown by most players in the final 4.

At least Yakemchuk looks like he will add to that number, and be someone who can not only break even but instigate and win many battles if he plays his style at 220 lbs.. We need more grit and scoring in the forward group, but maybe our scouts didn't perceive any JT Millers in the making in the remaining batch from 7-15 or so.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I thought there was a 11 of 12 chance I would be happy with the pick but the sens know how to disappoint. Will be happy to support him but I really dislike dmem who shoot nonstop on the pp, it's so low iq in nhl but I guess it's better in junior. At least he's getting reps in !
On a team like Ottawa that gets too cute on the PP and over passes the puck all the time, I'd consider someone who shoots non stop on the power play to be high IQ, actually.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
They need to bring in a new director of amateur scouting, shuffling the chairs around with Boyd jumping in needs to be fixed this summer.

They need to revamp that staff bigtime, there are good pieces, but their directives are extremely poor
I'd imagine Boyd got the interim gig because he was the only guy on staff that has experience in the role. It's hard to go out in October/November and hire a chief scout; they're all already working. So you work with what you've got.

I'm anticipating some pretty substantial change on this front over the summer.

One area the Sens have really fallen behind is their European scouting. Since Vaclav Burda [RIP] and Anders Forsberg booked out they've really struggled here, with the exception of Stutzle. Also need some guys who value skills and intelligence more to balance out the size queens a bit.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

You can find an abundance of those traits on July 1st every year.

It’s insane how we haven’t changed our scouting one bit in 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad