NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not impressed with Staios' vision on paper. It seems to be draft as many guys that are tall and fit a meat head mould. It's like skill isn't an attribute anymore since Stu and Sanderson have so much of it.
It's worth noting that we started the year with Dorion as GM, so it was still his staff running the draft and the scouting. there's only so much you can do mid stream, so I wouldn't assume this draft is a blueprint for Staios' vision.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It's worth noting that we started the year with Dorion as GM, so it was still his staff running the draft and the scouting. there's only so much you can do mid stream, so I wouldn't assume this draft is a blueprint for Staios' vision.
That's absolutely true, thanks for clarifying that because it's definitely easy for emo fans like myself to forget lol

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Upside Hockey 2024 NHL Draft Results And Team Grades With Final Rankings:
UPSIDE - 2024 NHL Draft Results

Spoiler: B+ grade for Sens
*so much worth checking out in our mammoth spreadsheet which also links up again to our prospect profiles, upwards of a 1000 video links, tons of different tabs to go through
*Note: the "E-Mac" column (and tab) is our final ranking of the prospect

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While this is true & I expect that some changes could be made with the amateur scouts I'm not sure the philosophy changes. It's clear at development camp IMO that they want players who are bigger & tougher who will fight for space & win puck battles all over the ice.

When we look at the top 6 D in the draft it is clear that Yakemchuk, Silayev & Dickinson were projected to be the three D who would be the most difficult to play against. The smaller ones might be better offensively but that isn't as great a need. When I compare Yakemchuk & Silayev I view Yakemchuk as better offensively & Silayev better defensively. When I compare Yakemchuk & Dickinson the biggest difference for me is that Yakemchuk is a right shot & Ott needs a right shot top 4 D.

It's a simplistic way to define the differences & I also think these defencemen were much closer than most thought. Yakemchuk brings more offence than Silayev & is a right shot which Dickinson is not. Yakemchuk IMO brings all the intangibles that Ott needs & then you can add his offensive skillset to size, hard to play against, hits, fights & is a right shot. Also Yakemchuk is an older draftee which to me means he could be ready sooner & unlike the smaller players already has NHL size & weight. The core is young & a number of them will still be there when this guy is NHL ready & at that point he could be the piece that helps them push the team further along. Bouchard came in 3 yrs ago & improved each yr offensively to help propel Edm to the cup final this yr.

Reactions: thinkwild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad