NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not impressed with Staios' vision on paper. It seems to be draft as many guys that are tall and fit a meat head mould. It's like skill isn't an attribute anymore since Stu and Sanderson have so much of it.
It's worth noting that we started the year with Dorion as GM, so it was still his staff running the draft and the scouting. there's only so much you can do mid stream, so I wouldn't assume this draft is a blueprint for Staios' vision.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It's worth noting that we started the year with Dorion as GM, so it was still his staff running the draft and the scouting. there's only so much you can do mid stream, so I wouldn't assume this draft is a blueprint for Staios' vision.
That's absolutely true, thanks for clarifying that because it's definitely easy for emo fans like myself to forget lol

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Upside Hockey 2024 NHL Draft Results And Team Grades With Final Rankings:
UPSIDE - 2024 NHL Draft Results

Spoiler: B+ grade for Sens
*so much worth checking out in our mammoth spreadsheet which also links up again to our prospect profiles, upwards of a 1000 video links, tons of different tabs to go through
*Note: the "E-Mac" column (and tab) is our final ranking of the prospect

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While this is true & I expect that some changes could be made with the amateur scouts I'm not sure the philosophy changes. It's clear at development camp IMO that they want players who are bigger & tougher who will fight for space & win puck battles all over the ice.

When we look at the top 6 D in the draft it is clear that Yakemchuk, Silayev & Dickinson were projected to be the three D who would be the most difficult to play against. The smaller ones might be better offensively but that isn't as great a need. When I compare Yakemchuk & Silayev I view Yakemchuk as better offensively & Silayev better defensively. When I compare Yakemchuk & Dickinson the biggest difference for me is that Yakemchuk is a right shot & Ott needs a right shot top 4 D.

It's a simplistic way to define the differences & I also think these defencemen were much closer than most thought. Yakemchuk brings more offence than Silayev & is a right shot which Dickinson is not. Yakemchuk IMO brings all the intangibles that Ott needs & then you can add his offensive skillset to size, hard to play against, hits, fights & is a right shot. Also Yakemchuk is an older draftee which to me means he could be ready sooner & unlike the smaller players already has NHL size & weight. The core is young & a number of them will still be there when this guy is NHL ready & at that point he could be the piece that helps them push the team further along. Bouchard came in 3 yrs ago & improved each yr offensively to help propel Edm to the cup final this yr.

Reactions: thinkwild

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Agree with the idea of Yakemchuk. RHD that produces points similar to Dickinson, but comes in a meaner package and on the more sought after RHD side. Has shown great puck skills and is the 2nd best goal scoring D in the draft behind Parekh.

While we have mostly a different amateur crew at the helm, this would not dissimilar from when we drafted Sanderson, who was in the 8-12 range in the rankings, and we took him 5th overall, to the surprise of many. Yakemchuk is generally seen in the same range 8-12 range, so taking him at 7 would hardly be a reach.

I do really like Levshunov, Lindstrom and Iginla, so issues taking any of them, and also not really upset with the idea of Parekh or Dickinson either, but Yakemchuk almost feels like a "statement" pick before free agency of how this team is going to re-model itself with skill AND grit & physicality.
Yup

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

A bit of a look at Zeev Buium falling. Chris, as many of us had both Silayev and Buium a fair bit higher than they went.

He also put this piece together on it..

As far are the Sens are concerned their scouting team went for need with skill. Right shot D that can bring it physically and has skill. To this scouting staff that package had them drooling. They don't complicate it. Their interview questions were comical how they led him with the answers (not saying he needed it) just they had him as their guy and they made it so. We have to hope Yakemchuk works out. He has a lot of tools to work with and will be given every opportunity.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I feel like I’m on an island with the Eliasson pick but the agility and mobility look good, he’s very young, aggression is a skill and his timing on hits looks very advanced. I’m really looking forward to seeing how well his reach and mobility translate to an 85’ width. This is definitely a potential home run selection at 39.

Love the Yak, Eliasson and Moore picks.
I like Eliasson too; the vids I saw of him made me think of Chara. I doubt he will be the second coming of Chara but if he can improve his agility and speed he would be a welcome addition on D because of his physical play.

I am cautiously optimistic about Yakemchuk as we passed on some other D that I liked and hoped we would draft (Silayev in particular).

I am OK with the other picks as I have doubts that any of them will make the NHL.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We have the personnel we have, so why not just hope for the best?
I think most fans hope for the best for their teams; however, this is a forum where posters share their opinions on the team. It would be boring if all posters had to be rabid fans at all times and have to be homers.

The Waffler

Smartest Man-Child on HF
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I think most fans hope for the best for their teams; however, this is a forum where posters share their opinions on the team. It would be boring if all posters had to be rabid fans at all times and have to be homers.

I honestly believe there are fans out there that feel so betrayed by the thing they love that they hope for the worst. Also, some people are so eager to say “I told you so” that they hope for the worst and when it happens they feel like geniuses.

I get your point, though. If so, why bother? That’s a good question.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

A bit of a look at Zeev Buium falling. Chris, as many of us had both Silayev and Buium a fair bit higher than they went.

As far are the Sens are concerned their scouting team went for need with skill. Right shot D that can bring it physically and has skill. To this scouting staff that package had them drooling. They don't complicate it. Their interview questions were comical how they led him with the answers (not saying he needed it) just they had him as their guy and they made it so. We have to hope Yakemchuk works out. He has a lot of tools to work with and will be given every opportunity.

Chris peters saying that because Ottawa is a small market Canadian team they are less likely to pick American players. And so they picked yakemchuk.

That’s a strange thing to say unless you’ve never seen an Ottawa drafted player before.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

Without comparing Yakemchuk's interview to other prospect interviews the Sens did, it's a stretch to draw much out of some clips. They may have asked similar questions to many prospects.

His skillset is great, and his ceiling is extremely high. Lots of work to get there, we will see how he progresses.

If he puts it all together, a big tough RD that provides very good offense is an absolute unicorn.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Without comparing Yakemchuk's interview to other prospect interviews the Sens did, it's a stretch to draw much out of some clips. They may have asked similar questions to many prospects.

His skillset is great, and his ceiling is extremely high. Lots of work to get there, we will see how he progresses.

If he puts it all together, a big tough RD that provides very good offense is an absolute unicorn.
All true, but if you’re upset that they didn’t pick the guy you like, because you spend a ton of time amateur scouting and feel like you know stuff, then you latch onto these snippets, and start crafting a beautiful negative narrative where we didn’t pick the BPA (which was obviously your guy) rather, our guys were dumb and drafted for need, and drooled over points and physical play and other dumb things…

This year there were a ton of dumb teams when you see where the D favourites fell to.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
All true, but if you’re upset that they didn’t pick the guy you like, because you spend a ton of time amateur scouting and feel like you know stuff, then you latch onto these snippets, and start crafting a beautiful negative narrative where we didn’t pick the BPA (which was obviously your guy) rather, our guys were dumb and drafted for need, and drooled over points and physical play and other dumb things…

This year there were a ton of dumb teams when you see where the D favourites fell to.
Hindsight humbles the prognosticators!

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree that it was Dorion's scouting staff hires; however, the buck stops at the GM.

Staios is responsible for what happens at the draft; if he perceives a weakness in scouting or wants to prioritize skill over size or toughness, he should change the scouting staff and change the philosophy/focus asap.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree that it was Dorion's scouting staff hires; however, the buck stops at the GM.

Staios is responsible for what happens at the draft; if he perceives a weakness in scouting or wants to prioritize skill over size or toughness, he should change the scouting staff and change the philosophy/focus asap.
ASAP pretty much means after the draft, you aren't going to be able to get the best scouts mid season as they would be under contract with rival teams that aren't willing to release guys with inside information

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
ASAP pretty much means after the draft, you aren't going to be able to get the best scouts mid season as they would be under contract with rival teams that aren't willing to release guys with inside information
I agree that getting better scouts might have to wait until after the playoffs end and scout contracts end or open up too. However, the focus and priority on type of players to draft can be changed immediately on the appointment of a new GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad