Post-Game Talk: Different night, same movie. 4-1 Jets over Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We need defensemen who only can skate and do nothing else? Matt bartkowski is one of the worst d men in the league

Everybody's dumping on Bartkowski, but he's at best a 6-7 d-man earning $1.7m on a one-year deal, who's being forced to play 23 minutes a night...He's not the problem, it's the play of our $4-5m d-men.....when three of your top four all suck, you're in a world of trouble.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
What Benning has done to our defense is tragic.

I love how Gillis got **** for years for never finding an Ehrhoff replacement, and Benning not only has yet to address that, but he also just made our d-core worse overall (though he's fortunate Hutton has played so well). And before people say "he's only had a year", it's been two off-seasons and he had a prime opportunity to get one in Vatanen/Theodore when he traded Kesler.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
if WD is fired, don't hire a coach who will require compensation. or, at the very least, wait until the offseason so you can give a 3rd instead of a 2nd.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We have also lost what 13 games? What you're suggesting is awful. And your belief that this a playoff team is sad

It's called a losing streak. Two weeks ago we were leading our entire division. We're not bad enough for this type of implosion to continue, which is why I don't value our 1st as a lottery pick. As for the playoffs. Have you seen the Pacific? Despite this god awful roadtrip we are still only four points back of LA. I didn't have us necessarily competitive this season, but I also didn't have Anaheim collapsing or the whole Pacific being so bad. We'll make the playoffs on that alone.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Trading a 1st + Hamhius for Hamonic would be so idiotic that I could see Benning doing it. We shoukd keep our picks flip Hamhius and Vrabta + at the deadline for picks/prospects and start building through the draft. We should have been doing this since 2012. Its amazing how some people just dont learn.

And who do these kids play with? You cannot just ice a group of rookies and wait for them to take the league by storm. That is Edmonton's mentality. The results speak for themselves.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Apparently so is Hamonic, have you ever watched him? He's pretty much been the Islanders #1D and they're whole game is based on quick transition.

If hes their #1 puck mover and overall dman , hes gotta have more than 3 points in 19 games. But hes not. Tanev is the better puck mover.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
And who do these kids play with? You cannot just ice a group of rookies and wait for them to take the league by storm. That is Edmonton's mentality. The results speak for themselves.

Guys who you don't have to trade valuable assets for. Either guys you already have like Tanev and Edler or veteran UFAs.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
IMG_9523-300x200.jpg

Post-game audio: Ryan Miller and Henrik Sedin. Should have coach up soon.

To listen click here.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

I agree. But i have to say sutter and prust were the vetran presence we were all talking about.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
It's called a losing streak. Two weeks ago we were leading our entire division. We're not bad enough for this type of implosion to continue, which is why I don't value our 1st as a lottery pick. As for the playoffs. Have you seen the Pacific? Despite this god awful roadtrip we are still only four points back of LA. I didn't have us necessarily competitive this season, but I also didn't have Anaheim collapsing or the whole Pacific being so bad. We'll make the playoffs on that alone.

we absolutely are bad enough for this to continue and if you look at the schedule and mentality of this team it will definitely continue.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This. Actually made me yell out loud.

It's +/-. Who cares? They were put in an offensive situation, 6 on 5. You want Higgins and Dorsett out there to protect their stats?

People complaining about stuff like.. I don't understand.

The Jesus*

Apparently so is Hamonic, have you ever watched him? He's pretty much been the Islanders #1D and they're whole game is based on quick transition.

It's really not. He's a stick waver, and 90's style defenseman. He stands in front of the net and waves his stick around. He's physical, hits, fights, etc. But his transition isn't anything to write home about.

I would sign him, but he's not the style of defenseman I'd give up really good assets that can expedite our rebuild to get. He's a blast from the past, and the league is moving past him.

We're seeing it start in juniors, where before kids with really great skating, stickhandling, etc all played forward. That is changing. Coaches are putting these kids at the back end now because of how that style of defenseman can impact a game. We're in the early phases of the transition, but it's happening. It will take a while for all these kids to grow up and reach the draft, but the shift has already started.

There is a reason Gillis went after Ballard. Why Benning wanted Bartkowski. Because that style of defenseman is essential according to all the fancy stat guys they employ. And teams just don't trade the good ones, so we either have to draft one or pick up the scraps.

I would rather go after a guy like Krug than a guy like Hamonic. The league is changing, please please please please let's not give up assets to go in the other direction.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Guys who you don't have to trade valuable assets for. Either guys you already have like Tanev and Edler or veteran UFAs.

So Bartkowski? How's that working out for us? I would love signing someone like Byfuglien, but they typically go to teams with better shots at the cup. Again, our 1st is not going to be high. Hamonic is a better player than we'll likely draft. That said, I did say it was lottery protected.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
More anti Benning supporters after every game lately.

Writing was on the wall in the off season, the wait and see what happens crowd is suspiciously absent.

I'm here, but I'm still good with the team, youth are playing, coach is ensuring a good draft pick

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's really not. He's a stick waver, and 90's style defenseman. He stands in front of the net and waves his stick around. He's physical, hits, fights, etc. But his transition isn't anything to write home about.

I would sign him, but he's not the style of defenseman I'd give up really good assets that can expedite our rebuild to get. He's a blast from the past, and the league is moving past him.

We're seeing it start in juniors, where before kids with really great skating, stickhandling, etc all played forward. That is changing. Coaches are putting these kids at the back end now because of how that style of defenseman can impact a game. We're in the early phases of the transition, but it's happening. It will take a while for all these kids to grow up and reach the draft, but the shift has already started.

There is a reason Gillis went after Ballard. Why Benning wanted Bartkowski. Because that style of defenseman is essential according to all the fancy stat guys they employ. And teams just don't trade the good ones, so we either have to draft one or pick up the scraps.

I would rather go after a guy like Krug than a guy like Hamonic. The league is changing, please please please please let's not give up assets to go in the other direction.

The fact that you bring up Ballard like it was a good thing makes it really hard to rationally discuss this.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
It's +/-. Who cares? They were put in an offensive situation, 6 on 5. You want Higgins and Dorsett out there to protect their stats?

People complaining about stuff like.. I don't understand.

WD can "justify" himself when he benches them next time

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
What has he done this summer that so wrong?
Bartkowski -cheap 1 year deal
Weber resigned which people loved it.
Ben Hutton- the right move
Trade away Bieksa -another right move

How he gets credit for Ben Hutton is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad