Post-Game Talk: Different night, same movie. 4-1 Jets over Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
So its 2-1 going into the 3rd. Time for a big goal and to out shot the opponent right?

Wrong, Canucks get outshot 17-6.

To me, that shows you the type of character this team has right now. Willie has clearly lost the team. Guy is beyond incompetent.

Probably not all that surprising given that he stapled two guys who produced nearly 1/3rd of the team's shots through the first 2 periods to the bench for pretty much all of the 3rd period.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pretty much this.

Yup. We're not good enough to compete, but not bad enough to get a good draft pick. We're right there in the middle in hockey purgatory where we just waste a season, get a mediocre pick, and get to enjoy the same old garbage next year. I'm hoping people are enjoying this team this season because this is what a lot of people wanted.

Going into this game both teams were struggling. Coming out of it the Jets look amazing and we look like we have all road trip: a bad hockey team with a pathetic coach who's in over his head.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Glad Benning was in the house to witness first-hand this blueline that he's assembled....just comically bad....guys losing puck battles, mishandling the puck in danger areas, and getting turnstyled with impunity.....I can't decide what it is...coaching, a bad or non-existent defensive system by the coaching staff, or forwards putting them in a vulnerable position...or maybe as we saw during the Calgary series last year, they're just not good enough.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Because contrary to this board's tank mentality, we're not going to finish anywhere near Matthews territory. Hamonic is a better player than we'll likely draft with that pick. We need actual young NHL caliber talent, not a bunch of kids. Look at how much Horvat's struggling to see why.

That said, we'd likely lottery protect our 1st.

Good thing there's more than one good player in this draft, we're five points out of the bottom five.

Last edited by a moderator:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
- Tanev was solid outside of that neutral zone turnover at the very end of the 2nd period. Edler with his now usual decent game with a few dummy mistakes sprinkled in.

- Hamhuis was having a very good game before his turnover that led to Winnipeg's 3rd goal. Bartkowski needs to be scratched.

- Hutton was decent and Sbisa was fine, as well (although he didn't play much because of the time in the box and his injury).

- Sedin line was the only one that had good shifts consistently, which isn't a surprise. Hansen with an excellent 1st period, he continues to get work done.

- Horvat was having a decent game until he did nothing to prevent the 3rd goal against after Hamhuis's turnover. Could have been avoided if he just took his man in front instead of fishing for the puck.

- McCann's game seems to be rounding out a bit, Virtanen hasn't been good at all since fighting Farnham and Baertschi did some good things even though his shifts were few and far between.

- Miller let in 3 but he really kept us in the game, lots of big saves. Unfortunately the skaters had little finish and couldn't give him any goal support. Lots of quality chances generated but couldn't capitalize.

- Powerplay setups are still really, really stupid.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
No we do not. It took a colossal failure of a roadtrip to drop us to 9th in the west and 16th overall. We will play better, and that will keep us in the middle of the pack. The Pacific division dreadful this season. It's practically a guarantee we'll be a playoff team based on that alone.
We have also lost what 13 games? What you're suggesting is awful. And your belief that this a playoff team is sad

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Good thing there's more than one good player in this draft, we're five points out of the bottom five.

Hilariously enough, we're still in the playoffs.

It wouldn't be unrealistic to suck our way into 3rd.

At least try to take advantage of the weak division and therefore **** drafting spot you'll get.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Probably not all that surprising given that he stapled two guys who produced nearly 1/3rd of the team's shots through the first 2 periods to the bench for pretty much all of the 3rd period.

Like I said in at the start of the gdt: it's almost like they're trying to lose. All the moves they make defy logic to someone who's goal is to win hockey games.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Glad Benning was in the house to witness first-hand this blueline that he's assembled....just comically bad....guys losing puck battles, mishandling the puck in danger areas, and getting turnstyled with impunity.....I can't decide what it is...coaching, a bad or non-existent defensive system by the coaching staff, or forwards putting them in a vulnerable position...or maybe as we saw during the Calgary series last year, they're just not good enough.

I'm pretty sure Benning saw his whole team plus the coaches play bad...

This won't last and someone's gonna be held accountable

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
He's 25. We hope any one of our picks ends up as good as him. Edler for Hamonic would be perfect.

Even if the team was to add a decent prospect like Shinkaruk to a deal involving Edler I would hope Benning would do whatever required to convince Edler to waive his no trade clause.

Makes the team younger as Edler is no spring chicken and makes the backend harder to play against.

Not a bad cap hit either.

Make it happen Jimbo he can rip the puck!

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
No we do not. It took a colossal failure of a roadtrip to drop us to 9th in the west and 16th overall. We will play better, and that will keep us in the middle of the pack. The Pacific division dreadful this season. It's practically a guarantee we'll be a playoff team based on that alone.

They've also played the most games in the league. In points % they're 10th in the conference and 20th in the league.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006

Trading a 1st + Hamhius for Hamonic would be so idiotic that I could see Benning doing it. We shoukd keep our picks flip Hamhius and Vrabta + at the deadline for picks/prospects and start building through the draft. We should have been doing this since 2012. Its amazing how some people just dont learn.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I don't think we are bad enough to get a top 3 pick. Top 10 is realistic. That's not what's worrying me.
I want us to dump some assets for another 1st or 2 2nds. We need a really good draft.

Lottery this year and going forward determines the top 3 draft picks, not just the 1st overall.

So, they draw for pick #1, then they draw for pick #2 and #3. I think they will just let the teams maintain their range of numbers and draw until a "new" team who hasn't already won a lottery position number is drawn.

So, that is why you don't want to trade your 1st rounder, unless you are a surefire playoff team. LA's pick belongs to Carolina, but they seem on their way into the playoffs. SJ belongs to Boston and they are barely in a playoff spot. NYR belongs to Arizona and they are a top team in the east.

LA managed in 2 trades to protect the pick if they missed the playoffs. That said, report indicates that the Isles want a roster player.

The history of the lottery, in its 20 years, no team that held a position after #8 has won the lottery. Chicago in 1999 and New Jersey in 2011 at #8 won the draft lottery and moved to #4.

If it's Edler and one of Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Sven/rights to Rodin go for it. Depends on what the Isles want. They don't have to trade Harmonic. He does not have a NTC or anything right now. Still in his RFA years. I'm not in favor of dealing a 1st round pick in the #7-#11 range.

And yes, the Nucks do need to move some assets at the deadline to obtain additional younger assets. That said, their UFAs to be in Vrbata and Hamhuis are not performing very well. Still have time to correct it and play we'll around game 55 when the talks heat up. Prust when he returns would also be in the conversation. And you have the 2 bottom Dmen in Bartkowski and Weber.

Then, you have the group of UFAs in 2017. Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, and Miller.

How much are these guys going to return in a trade?

Last edited:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Hilariously enough, we're still in the playoffs.

It wouldn't be unrealistic to suck our way into 3rd.

At least try to take advantage of the weak division and therefore **** drafting spot you'll get.

Ducks will easily pass us and bump us out of a plyoff spot, we're only 20 games into the season lol

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Fire WD
Hire Boucher (Or pay the 2nd and try to get Stevens from LA) as long as we don't have to pay compensation to anyone.
Send JV down to the WHL
Bench Bart
Trade/waive Svenny B
Platoon Miller and Markstrom - Trade Miller if possible
Get a goalie from Calgary cheap

no no no no

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
More anti Benning supporters after every game lately.

Writing was on the wall in the off season, the wait and see what happens crowd is suspiciously absent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad