Value of: Difference in value between William Nylander and Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If something like this happened with Carolina I would want Teravaninen as part of a deal because as I have said before I think for the first time in years the current top 6 is a compete top 6.

I don't think there are any holes there, I don't think there is anybody that you can look at in the current Leafs top 6 and say "there that guy is the weak spot he doesn't belong."

If you trade Nylander and you don't bring back a top 6 forward you now have created a hole.

So if Nylander is going to Carolina I'd like to

To Carolina
Nylander
?
?

To Toronto
Teravaninen
Pesce

I'm not going to guess what other pieces would be going with Nylander to Carolina but I think the basis is there.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Nylander makes more, will more than likely get paid more next year. Not sure why the Canes would really do this?
Pesce is a mighty fine dman & the Canes can put the puck in the net just fine

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Approx. the same difference in value that was between Taylor Hall and Adam Larsson

Nylander makes more, will more than likely get paid more next year. Not sure why the Canes would really do this?
Pesce is a mighty fine dman & the Canes can put the puck in the net just fine
It's easier to replace/acquire a Dman with Pesce's skill set than it is to find a 40 goal scorer just entering their prime

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Approx. the same difference in value that was between Taylor Hall and Adam Larsson

It's easier to replace/acquire a Dman with Pesce's skill set than it is to find a 40 goal scorer just entering their prime
Meier was just traded and extended. The Cat is on the block. Leaf fans are offeing up Nylander to one and all.If you follow the boards, then defensive RD's are as covered as any position
I'm going to assume those fans know what their teams need

Reactions: geehaad

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Equal value as rentals. If 1 will sign an extension then that 1 has more value. Equal if both will sign
i reserve judgement of this until i see the numbers on the extension

Cap savings is completely irrelevant when making a trade. In most situations. You don’t lose a trade like this just to open up cap space. You get his full value and figure out the rest.
marleau to the canes?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If we’re moving Pesce we don’t want/need Brodie back. Canes are giving up way too much here.

Leaves a hole on your D without him imo

Martinook was on waivers last year

Drury rumoured to want out and Leaf fans are going to say Nylander is worth more

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If something like this happened with Carolina I would want Teravaninen as part of a deal because as I have said before I think for the first time in years the current top 6 is a compete top 6.

I don't think there are any holes there, I don't think there is anybody that you can look at in the current Leafs top 6 and say "there that guy is the weak spot he doesn't belong."

If you trade Nylander and you don't bring back a top 6 forward you now have created a hole.

To Carolina
Nylander
?
?

To Toronto
Teravaninen
Pesce

I'm not going to guess what other pieces would be going with Nylander to Carolina but I think the basis is there.
Turbo could be part of the deal but I really don’t know how to balance it out on the Leafs side.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Drury rumoured to want out and Leaf fans are going to say Nylander is worth more
No it doesn’t. We currently have 5, arguably 6 defensemen that are top 4 caliber or better. Hell we have 5 dmen who could comfortably play on the top pair right now in Slavin, Burns, Skjei, Pesce, Orlov. Chatfield is probably good enough to play top 4 minutes and we’re likely getting TDA in the next week, so no, we don’t need a defenseman back at all.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

To Carolina
Nylander
?
?

To Toronto
Teravaninen
Pesce

Canes don’t overpay guys. Nylander is rumoured to be wanting 10 mil per season on his next contract. Canes won’t do that.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Love when fans of other teams think they know another team better than it’s own fans.

1. No, it does not leave a hole. The trade for TDA will go through next week once he has been with the flyers for a year. That leaves the canes with 6 d plus rfa Coghlan who could be kept as the 7th.

2. Irrelevant. He just had a great year with a really solid playoff run. The fact that he was on waivers at the beginning of last season has no effect on the way the canes value him currently. He’s a guy who’s loved in the locker room so his importance to the team goes beyond his point production.

3. Drury is not rumoured to want out. He requested a trade early last season prior to being called up and remaining with the team for the rest of the season including the playoffs. He has a full time roster spot now and there is absolutely nothing to indicate he wants to leave the team currently. Carolina doesn’t really have the depth at C to be throwing in Drury here, anyway.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If I had to guess knowing that Carolina likes defense I would guess that Lilly is probably part of it but beyond that I don't know
I just don’t think adding defence is a concern for Carolina. Lilly doesn’t really move the needle for us. He was flat out bad for you guys down the stretch last year and into the playoffs. Adding TT complicated things and makes it into a bigger deal than it needs to be. I’m sure Knies wouldn’t be on the table in this deal or likely any other so I just don’t see another asset on the Leafs that makes sense.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Huh? Good RDs and Centers have been hunted for and have been NHL teams top priorities for decades now.

Something that seems to be largely overlooked is that teams often have "positional needs". If a team needs a defenseman (or even more so a RD), then that's what they are looking for. Similarly, if a team is looking for a scoring winger, then that's what they are looking for.

There isn't this crossover effect that people seem to be talking about here and value in general or in a broad perspective is pretty close to meaningless for the respective teams. Fans get hung up on this much more so than the GMs and teams who have specific positional needs. What they do will be in accordance to that positional need versus the "value" that is being debated here. But, I guess HFers like these pedantic pissing contests, so carry on. LOL.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Then the Leafs should probably just keep Nylander and we’ll keep Peace or trade him elsewhere. No sweat

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

To Carolina
Nylander
?
?

To Toronto
Teravaninen
Pesce

I'm sure you would want Turbo with Pesce but I'm not sure you can afford it, and I mean that in terms of the Cap. Pesce+Teravainen would bring in $9.5m in cap and Nylander is only $7m right now. You're already $8m over the cap, I don't think you can make this work.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
No it doesn’t. We currently have 5, arguably 6 defensemen that are top 4 caliber or better. Hell we have 5 dmen who could comfortably play on the top pair right now in Slavin, Burns, Skjei, Pesce, Orlov. Chatfield is probably good enough to play top 4 minutes and we’re likely getting TDA in the next week, so no, we don’t need a defenseman back at all.

I think you over value those depth guys and weaken the group without a guy like Brodie coming back

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Right now, our defense looks like

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Skjei/Pesce
Chatfield-_____

It's widely reported that TDA at 50% is being acquired for a middling prospect, and we are apparently a finalist for Karlsson. At worst, we slot TDA into that opening on the 3rd line, at best we get Karlsson as well and our top 2 lines are locked in. Either way, we have a luxury to move out someone like Skjei or Pesce and be just fine next year.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
A 1 for 1 deal makes a lot of sense since both teams assume the same amount of pending UFA risk.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think you over value those depth guys and weaken the group without a guy like Brodie coming back
Uhhh what depth guys? Slavin, Burns, Pesce, Orlov, Skjei are better than Brodie so if we move out Pesce our top 4 is still rock solid. Chatfield and TDA on the 3rd pair. All good.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Would be interested who you think the “depth guys” on the canes d are? Chat and TDA? Because they’re literally the third pair.

A few canes fans have already explained to you why they have no interest in Brodie but you want to keep pushing ahead like you know better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad