News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Lauko doesn't have any value. Like the player, but he is a 4th liner. Frederic or Geekie as guys with size and scoring ability for the bottom six are guys I could see NJD interested in.

Would only do that from a Bruins POV if the pick was heading elsewhere for a player like Necas.
Frederic or Geekie are not being added to a starting goalie all for a 10th pick. I know I know he's expiring but that's likely getting changed the day after the trade is complete.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It isn't happening for Markstrom that's a given.

HIGHLY doubt it happens for Saros or Ullmark seeing as we wouldn't be allowed to talk to either of them about a ext until July 1st.

IF and I still think it's a massive IF we move it for a goalie ( I think it gets moved for a top 6 fwd with term IMO ) it will be for a younger goalie/stud prospect that noone suspects is available.
Why can't you talk extension with either goalie if given permission? If memory serves you just can't sign until the 1st but I don't see why that would be of any concern.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Tough to take the front office seriously. It's almost like they manage by the whims of social media; with no regards to the long-term or short-term needs of the club.

No goalie is going to be successful playing with the Devils roster as it is currently constructed. And the team is far from being a contender as it currently plays; with or without a shiny toy goaltender.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Frederic or Geekie are not being added to a starting goalie all for a 10th pick. I know I know he's expiring but that's likely getting changed the day after the trade is complete.

You ain’t giving both Geekie and Frederic a raise after next season. Those two, Heinen, Zacha and Coyle all play pretty redundant games. Protect the puck, win board battles, make smart plays. Sure Zacha can shoot harder, or Coyle can puck protect the best, but they are all guys who are gonna grab 35-45 points if deployed on the third line with no PP time and it’s all too redundant.

You don’t make the deal unless 10OA is going out in another deal that brings in a forward that bring in a different element.

Ledge And Dairy

Why can't you talk extension with either goalie if given permission? If memory serves you just can't sign until the 1st but I don't see why that would be of any concern.

1717565759356.png

1717565837552.png

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

They can talk to players if given permission. During that talk, they can presumably be given permission to talk about signing an extension. Come to an agreement, come to an agreement with the other team for a trade, and then finalize the paperwork on the first.

Of course the problem is that agreement is not official until the first and a side can still back out beforehand.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Because even the clubs they are currently on can't talk until they enter the last yr of their current deals, which start on July 1

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I have shitted on markstrom extensively in the 2 years before this, even in hes vezina finalist season, but he was great this year, even if hes end of season stats may not seem impressive (mainly cuz the team just gave up after trading all their D). He just had hes best season ever as a flame, I think hes a bit better than 11-14, at least closer to 11 than 14 anyway. Pre deadline markstrom with a D thats not 4/6 AHL fodders was top 5 goalie in the league this year, overall i think theres maybe 5-7 guys you go hes definitely better than markstrom, rest of em markstrom can have a case. I really believe the turn off is hes age, if he was say 30 instead of 34, 10th overall might be a fair inclusion, I would never move 10th for a 34 yr old tho.
The problem with Marky is hes a head case and will never lead a team to a cup, it's not in his DNA.

Even when he has a fantastic game he often loses focus and allows a bad goal and he often allows a goal on the 1st couple of shots which often rattles him. He also tends to give up goals 6on5.

Bottom line he's not a big game goalie and the devil's would be much better trying to get ullmark.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Realizing that the #10 straight up for Markstrom is too rich for NJ, even at 50% retention, I’m curious what the flames can add to put this over the top for NJ fans.

Brodeur has called Markstrom a top 5 goalie, so I suspect he’s still one of the top targets for NJ.

Does #10 for Markstrom (50%) and #28 get it done?
Devils wouldn't give up 10 for 35 year old goalie. Give up young asset like that they will want goalie with term.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Make it Montembault+Jets pick
I really don't get this fascination with youth. How on Earth is Mont better than Markstrom?

NJ wants Markstrom for what he can provide right now, not what he can provide 4 years from now.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I really don't get this fascination with youth. How on Earth is Mont better than Markstrom?

NJ wants Markstrom for what he can provide right now, not what he can provide 4 years from now.

The most recent thing he could provide was 10 straight games of sub .900 play. He’ll be turning 35 in the middle of next season. If you don’t see why the Devils would prefer a younger goalie, not sure what to tell you.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I think 10th overall for Markstrom is an over payment by the Devils, simple at that.

However they also have picks 28, 41, and something around 60. I imagine adding 28th to Markstrom would be a little steep for the CGY management as it only bring them up 18 spots but I don't think anyone would hate it.

The devils have 10 and then nothing until the 3rd.

Could they get creative and do something like:

To NJD: Markstrom 41 and/or 60

To CGY: 10, 80

Markstrom and one second is a pretty good offer. Markstrom and two seconds is a good offer. Markstrom and a late first is a really good offer. So they have different attack angles here. See how it plays out.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don’t think they are looking for a goalie, I think they are going after necas?

I mean he said over and over gain they are looking for a goalie. No hiding it. But, he didn't come out and say that 10OA was on the table for a goalie. Just that if they trade 10OA for a forward, that might take away from their ability to get a goalie. Which *could* mean 10OA could be on the table for a goalie OR it could mean they wouldn't be willing to trade back to back firsts or whatever.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think 10th overall for Markstrom is an over payment by the Devils, simple at that.

However they also have picks 28, 41, and something around 60. I imagine adding 28th to Markstrom would be a little steep for the CGY management as it only bring them up 18 spots but I don't think anyone would hate it.

The devils have 10 and then nothing until the 3rd.

Could they get creative and do something like:

To NJD: Markstrom 41 and/or 60

To CGY: 10, 80

Markstrom and two seconds is a pretty decent offer for 10. Markstrom and one second is a good offer. Markstrom and a late first is a really good offer. So they have different attack angles here. See how it plays out.

Once again, there’s a reason why there doesn’t seem to be a single Devils fan who wants to move the 10th pick in a deal for Markstrom, yet almost every single Flames fan is proposing it. That says something about the value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneiro and HBK27

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Once again, there’s a reason why there doesn’t seem to be a single Devils fan who wants to move the 10th pick in a deal for Markstrom, yet almost every single Flames fans is proposing it. That says something about the value.
That is because very few Devils fans know how good Markstrom is.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Maybe that has something to do with his stats not being very good 3 of the past 4 years...

Plus the fact he's already 34 years old and his best days are most likely behind him.

He'd still be an upgrade for NJ, but the attraction here is not having to give up too much to get him and that he only has 2 more years of term, which aligns well if NJ ever has anything in Schmid, Daws, Malek or Poulter - whereas a Saros or Ullmark deal cost more and requires a lengthy extension on top of that.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We’re well aware of how good he is at peak performance. But he’s not a lights out solution, he has been uneven enough to not be considered a slam dunk. And he’s older with only two years of team control. Why on earth would you give up a potential 10+ years of control for that?

This isn’t that hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad