News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ullmark lauko for 10th overall pick. Lauko has decent potential and age 24 years old.

Lauko doesn't have any value. Like the player, but he is a 4th liner. Frederic or Geekie as guys with size and scoring ability for the bottom six are guys I could see NJD interested in.

Would only do that from a Bruins POV if the pick was heading elsewhere for a player like Necas.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Reading the article.. I think these are two separate trade options. They're open to trading the 10th overall pick in a win now move. And they're looking for a goalie.

An important distinction, because I don't see any available goalies that would be worth the 10th overall. And the ones that are wouldn't get traded.

I also don't know how trading the 10th overall would work. They've paid up to bring in a few players, still need a starting goalie, and have young players that'll need raises in the not so distant future. Cap space goes quick, and players that have 10th overall value typically don't come with a cheap cap hit
Exactly, overdraft Nygard by a couple of spots he's thr most nhl ready, let him compete for Holtz's spot on camp. If it works trade Holtz for a G

Ullmark makes sense for Jersey but is he valuable enough to return the 10th overall pick? 30 years old & going into the final year of his deal, seems like a bad trade. When Schneider got traded for the 9th he was 25 with club control.
No he's not. A 25 1st yeah

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Devils do not have a lot of openings on their blueline.

Hamilton, Siegenthaler, Marino, Hughes and Nemec are 5 locks. Bahl has been inconsistent, but shown flashes and has 159 NHL games under his belt at 23 years old. He could rebound and hold the #6 slot, though I wouldn't be surprised to see NJ look for another long-term solution at LD beyond Hughes and Siegenthaler. DeSimone played well down the stretch last season and could be a #7, while Hatakka also looked good in limited action and would have to clear waivers if sent down next season. Misyul also may be an option - think the Devils add a vet, but they could go with what they have in-house.

There is no possible deal that would involve Gibson and the #10 pick though. None.

Also, if the Devils wanted to move on from Foote (doubtful), they could just not qualify him as he's an RFA.
All good stuff here

Reactions: HBK27

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I think you could probably start having conversations about Markstrom as early as about 9, tbh. I just don't think you'll get a lot of people who actually put him there. Its hard to say though....that's just me guessing what other people would think which isn't exactly a great measure lol.

Even though some of these guys had down years, I still believe that people would have Igor, Sorokin, Vasi, Saros, Oettinger, Swayman, Helle, Demko over him. I don't think that's super controversial. So that puts it at 9 when you start talking about Ullmark, Binnington, Markstrom, Connor Ingram, etc? So wouldn't super shock me if some had him in that 9/10 spot, but wouldn't surprise me if people had him at 13-14 either.
Ok thats fair, i just quickly glanced at the goaltending stats and looked who was there above markstrom lol.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Possibly. But with regards to possible moving it for a 31 or 34 year old goalie, history has sort of backed that up.

I do think a pick like #10 is frequently overrated when people consider how good of a skater it returns
The quality of player is overrated.

The value of the cap savings an ELC that can play as even a middle 6er over the course of that ELC+the RFA discount provides is very much underrated. Dawson Mercer for example has provided 131 points and 64 goals (without PP1 time) for 3 million dollars total.

Probably because the teams picking that high often aren't taking advantage of that cap savings, because they suck, which is why they get the pick.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The quality of player is overrated.

The value of the cap savings an ELC that can play as even a middle 6er over the course of that ELC+the RFA discount provides is very much underrated. Dawson Mercer for example has provided 131 points and 64 goals (without PP1 time) for 3 million dollars total.

Probably because the teams picking that high often aren't taking advantage of that cap savings, because they suck, which is why they get the pick.

I was referring to the quality of player a top ten pick gets in a trade. Sorry if that wasn't clear

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
At a minimum, I would expect Calgary would have to give up Vancouver’s pick plus another asset (a high second, Pelletier, maybe one of the vet forwards like coleman etc) for New Jersey to even consider giving up the 10th. Even then I don’t think they bite.

I get Calgary fans want to dream, but that’s really what it is lol. I’d expect Jersey would want a long term solution in net rather than a 2 year stop gap, and that’s where the discussion ends imo.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
“I’m more than willing to move the pick for the right asset,” Fitzgerald told The Athletic. “One that we control, one that’s probably in the same demographic as our team — maybe not 23, 24 years old but somebody we control for a few years.”

I don’t see who BOS or CGY is giving up with their goalies for 10th overall that fits the bill here. I read that as a younger established player and they don’t have that.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
It isn't happening for Markstrom that's a given.

HIGHLY doubt it happens for Saros or Ullmark seeing as we wouldn't be allowed to talk to either of them about a ext until July 1st.

IF and I still think it's a massive IF we move it for a goalie ( I think it gets moved for a top 6 fwd with term IMO ) it will be for a younger goalie/stud prospect that noone suspects is available.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
“I’m more than willing to move the pick for the right asset,” Fitzgerald told The Athletic. “One that we control, one that’s probably in the same demographic as our team — maybe not 23, 24 years old but somebody we control for a few years.”

I don’t see who BOS or CGY is giving up with their goalies for 10th overall that fits the bill here. I read that as a younger established player and they don’t have that.
What about Geekie? Geekie scored 39 pts in 76 games playing on the 3rd line. He can move up and down the lineup at C and W and is an upcoming RFA after next season. How close is Ullmark + Geekie?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
What about Geekie? Geekie scored 39 pts in 76 games playing on the 3rd line. He can move up and down the lineup at C and W and is an upcoming RFA after next season. How close is Ullmark + Geekie?
Geekie doesn’t move the needle at all and sort of proves my point about BOS. He’s a journeyman who doesn’t really impact games on a regular basis.

At 10 there are players who can slide into the top 6 next to Jack or lock down the 3C role for a decade. You have to get some premium version of that back if the team control is going out the door.

Reactions: HBK27 and Absurdity

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Geekie doesn’t move the needle at all and sort of proves my point about BOS. He’s a journeyman who doesn’t really impact games on a regular basis.

At 10 there are players who can slide into the top 6 next to Jack or lock down the 3C role for a decade. You have to get some premium version of that back if the team control is going out the door.
Agreed, but offset by the chance that the pick either outright busts, or doesn't have an NHL career of note.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad