News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I have shitted on markstrom extensively in the 2 years before this, even in hes vezina finalist season, but he was great this year, even if hes end of season stats may not seem impressive (mainly cuz the team just gave up after trading all their D). He just had hes best season ever as a flame, I think hes a bit better than 11-14, at least closer to 11 than 14 anyway. Pre deadline markstrom with a D thats not 4/6 AHL fodders was top 5 goalie in the league this year, overall i think theres maybe 5-7 guys you go hes definitely better than markstrom, rest of em markstrom can have a case. I really believe the turn off is hes age, if he was say 30 instead of 34, 10th overall might be a fair inclusion, I would never move 10th for a 34 yr old tho.
I think you could probably start having conversations about Markstrom as early as about 9, tbh. I just don't think you'll get a lot of people who actually put him there. Its hard to say though....that's just me guessing what other people would think which isn't exactly a great measure lol.

Even though some of these guys had down years, I still believe that people would have Igor, Sorokin, Vasi, Saros, Oettinger, Swayman, Helle, Demko over him. I don't think that's super controversial. So that puts it at 9 when you start talking about Ullmark, Binnington, Markstrom, Connor Ingram, etc? So wouldn't super shock me if some had him in that 9/10 spot, but wouldn't surprise me if people had him at 13-14 either.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
To :devils
G Jacob Markstrom ($3M retained by Hawks for 2024-25 and 2025-26 seasons)
28th overall (From Flames)
67th overall (From Hawks)

To :hawks
10th overall (From Devils)

To :flames
18th overall (From Hawks)

- Devils get Markstrom at $3M cap hit, Move down to #28 in draft and gain early 3rd
- Hawks make jump to #10 in draft
- Flames jump from #28 to #18 giving them #9 and #18 in draft
At least put the #50 in here instead of the #67, Jeez.

The #34 would make it actually interesting.

Reactions: My3Sons

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
But neither of them is eligible to sign an extension until July 1, and the draft is before then.

And invariably people will come in with “handshake deal” or “draft the player the other team wants and trade that player” but this literally never actually happens.
I dont think it needs to be a handshake deal, but you can be close on terms and have a very good degree of confidence (which literally happens every year)

Bond

May 10, 2012
No idea I quoted a dude that said something about 19 so I assumed Calgary must have that pick.

They don't, my bad should have confirmed.
lol I was trying to follow and thought there was a string of trades proposed or something

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I dont think it needs to be a handshake deal, but you can be close on terms and have a very good degree of confidence (which literally happens every year)
Can you name one? (Seriously, if one exists I’m happy to be proven wrong). One time a team traded extension-level assets pre draft for a player slightly more than a year away from free agency and successfully signed them to an extension once July 1 hit and they could?

Sure, teams reach that sort of agreement with their own long-held players all the time. But trading for another team’s asset that is not yet eligible for an extension and the trade return is clearly sizeable enough that both sides knew such an extension was imminent, the return was not on par with a one year rental? If it’s happened, I do not know an example.

Reactions: HBK27

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Caufield could sure help NJ now.
CC-Hughes together again would be great.
But NJ would have to overpay a bit to make Habs move him.

First Sennecke or Catton has to be there at #10

MTL: Caufield + #70
for
NJ : #10 + Holtz

Then NJ goes hunting for a Goalie.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
>SJ would love to move into the 10th spot
>looks at both of the Sharks current goaltenders
>they're both Ex-Devils

okay then.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Caufield could sure help NJ now.
CC-Hughes together again would be great.
But NJ would have to overpay a bit to make Habs move him.

First Sennecke or Catton has to be there at #10

MTL: Caufield + #70
for
NJ : #10 + Holtz

Then NJ goes hunting for a Goalie.

LOL...why the hell would the Devils overpay to bring in a small winger making ~$8M?

Not knocking Caufield, but that is the furthest thing this team actually needs and makes even less sense factoring in making the cap work.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
How about something completely outside the box?

Sorokin
Wahlstrom

for

Mercer
Allen
2025 Winnipeg 2nd round pick

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
At least put the #50 in here instead of the #67, Jeez.

The #34 would make it actually interesting.
The Hawks are picking up $6M in cap, and $6M in actual cash salary. Historically, that's worth about a 1st round DP, and the Hawks are also including an early 3rd round DP. Personally, I don't think that gets you from 18th to 10th, but to me that's closer than most people seem to be thinking in this thread.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
LOL...why the hell would the Devils overpay to bring in a small winger making ~$8M?

Not knocking Caufield, but that is the furthest thing this team actually needs and makes even less sense factoring in making the cap work.
Again with the small player,, Bratt is pretty much the same size.
Both are 175 pounds.

Anyways chemistry is important and Hughes and CC really have it.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Both are 175 pounds.

Yes and Jack Hughes is on the small side as well, which is why the Devils probably aren't looking to keep adding to the collection.

They've already invested big money into Bratt and Meier, so investing another big cap hit to a winger is unlikely when goaltending, center depth (overall bottom 6 depth really) and LD are bigger priorities.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Both are 175 pounds.

Bratt is also an undersized winger, pointing out he's small too doesn't make CC more attractive as a piece for the Devils.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Can you name one? (Seriously, if one exists I’m happy to be proven wrong). One time a team traded extension-level assets pre draft for a player slightly more than a year away from free agency and successfully signed them to an extension once July 1 hit and they could?

Sure, teams reach that sort of agreement with their own long-held players all the time. But trading for another team’s asset that is not yet eligible for an extension and the trade return is clearly sizeable enough that both sides knew such an extension was imminent, the return was not on par with a one year rental? If it’s happened, I do not know an example.
I can't point to that specific scenario, although it may well have happened, but Ottawa traded JG Pageau without an extension, got a return that they likely would not have gotten if there wasn't strong belief in the ability to get an extension done, and then he was extended soon after.

It's not exact by any means, but many of the major dynamics are similar. In the situation you outlined, there is actually a far better/objective reason for the deal not getting officially done beforehand, too.

My brain is in work mode right now but I will try to look into incidences of the specific scenario later on.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Its not an age thing that hes play fell off. I think he stopped caring, due to the trade rumours and ended up staying while team sold off all their key guys (not a good thing nevertheless). I think hes mentally ready to get tf outa here asap.Wolf was better post deadline, but wolf has more to prove and more motivation to try, markstrom just said screw this.

You can’t definitively say that though. The reality is, he’ll be turning 35 in the middle of next season. If it hasn’t already, age will be affecting his game sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad