News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Saros or Ullmark with an extension will probably return something close to the 10th overall. Maybe add a 2nd or something coming from BOS or NSH.

But neither of them is eligible to sign an extension until July 1, and the draft is before then.

And invariably people will come in with “handshake deal” or “draft the player the other team wants and trade that player” but this literally never actually happens.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
10 for Markstrom and 28

Flames can even throw in a free Mangiapane if the Devils order within the next 30 minutes

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
10th
Mercer
Casey

For

B. Tkachuk

1717521619488.gif

Reactions: theoptimist

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
The only time in recent history a pick this high was traded straight up for a goalie, it was for Schneider who was arguably on of the top 3 best goalies in the league at the time (certainly was by the time he signed his next contract). I know values and markets change in 10 years, but there's very few goalies in the league close to the same level while still just entering or in their primes and none of them are purported to be available.
Reading the article.. I think these are two separate trade options. They're open to trading the 10th overall pick in a win now move. And they're looking for a goalie.

An important distinction, because I don't see any available goalies that would be worth the 10th overall. And the ones that are wouldn't get traded.

I also don't know how trading the 10th overall would work. They've paid up to bring in a few players, still need a starting goalie, and have young players that'll need raises in the not so distant future. Cap space goes quick, and players that have 10th overall value typically don't come with a cheap cap hit
It depends on what Mercer ends up signing for and if it is a bridge deal or a long-term contract, but they're reasonably assured to be able to spend to the cap this offseason and not sweat it next year. The only two players left to sign in the next 3 years will be L. Hughes and Nemec. Luke is next year and his contract could be reasonably absorbed by the anticipated cap increase. If it doesn't jump up enough the year after that to cover Nemec, at that point they can buyout or trade Palat or one of the excess D to get the money they need. Everyone else that has an expiring contract in that time frame is fairly marginal, and it's really not worth it to worry about the cap much farther out than that when you're a team that is supposed to be contending.

They most likely can't add another $8 million player without sacrificing depth long term, but someone in the $6 million range can still be worked around.

Reactions: JKG33

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Flames better be listening

Sounds like they want more than just the goalie though. Would be tough to lose Coleman, but he would be what NJ needs. I think they can only retain on one though.

With retention & Coleman, I don't think we need to add our 1st.

10th OA, & Allen for Markstrom 50%, Coleman, 2nd rnd pick

Can NJ take on that salary?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can see it coming right away

Saros to the Devils for the 10th OVA + something
You'd think that Ullmark and Saros are the only real options if #10 is involved. Markstom is too old to have that kind of value, unless NJ thinks Markstrom will put them over the top into contender territory, and they strike out on the other 2.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Im gonna say 3m retention for markstrom for 2 years is worth a late 1st/early 2nd, i think that plus another late 1st get you probably somewhere around late teens in the 1st round. So i do think a good starting goalie at 3m and say 19ish pick is probably close to the 10th overall. I just get the sense most devils fans dont want markstrom, which is fair given the age. If they want a winger (cuz someone mentioned coleman) id throw in mangiapane at 50% retained as well.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Ducks offer John Gibson, Urho Vaakanainen, Max Jones, 1st (31/32th), 2nd (35th) :thumbu:
Take Vaak out of that mix. A few threads down we have the Rangers wanting to trade him for Kakko

(to be fair, the sputtering "Whaaaat?!?!!!" from the rest of the Rangers' fans was kinda loud)

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Chicago making out like bandits and have no reason to be involved lol

The Devils don’t need to dump Palat and sell low on Holtz
My mistake I was under the assumption that Palats contract is/will be a problem for NJ.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Im gonna say 3m retention for markstrom for 2 years is worth a late 1st/early 2nd, i think that plus another late 1st get you probably somewhere around late teens in the 1st round. So i do think a good starting goalie at 3m and say 19ish pick is probably close to the 10th overall. I just get the sense most devils fans dont want markstrom, which is fair given the age. If they want a winger (cuz someone mentioned coleman) id throw in mangiapane at 50% retained as well.
Personally I'd think real hard about doing 10 for 19 and Markstrom @50%.

I'd be cool with taking Coleman if Calgary took salary back as well, but Mangiapane is redundant on their roster. He'd just be another undersized non physical left shot winger, and they've got enough of those already

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Honestly, there's a trade for markstrom involving 10 overall that absolutely makes sense from a value perspective. You can even that out pretty easily, I think.

But historically, this just hasn't happened. So it would definitely be a bit of an outlier and I just don't like banking on outlier trades.

I have no problems with Markstrom overall, even at his age (given his contract length and if you're adding retention its just not that big of a deal). But he's probably an above average goalie. Probably in the 11-14 range (with all due respect to Marty's rankings lol) so there's nothing to get super stoked about which is why devils fans aren't excited about the prospect of losing 10 over it. I think fewer devils fans have less of an issue with acquiring markstrom and more of an issue with just moving that pick to get him.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Honestly, there's a trade for markstrom involving 10 overall that absolutely makes sense from a value perspective. You can even that out pretty easily, I think.

But historically, this just hasn't happened. So it would definitely be a bit of an outlier and I just don't like banking on outlier trades.

I have no problems with Markstrom overall, even at his age (given his contract length and if you're adding retention its just not that big of a deal). But he's probably an above average goalie. Probably in the 11-14 range (with all due respect to Marty's rankings lol) so there's nothing to get super stoked about which is why devils fans aren't excited about the prospect of losing 10 over it. I think fewer devils fans have less of an issue with acquiring markstrom and more of an issue with just moving that pick to get him.

Fans will never be happy moving a 10th OA pick. Just the way it is. Everyone wants the mystery box.

But the team has also underperformed majorly with goaltending being a main issue. Threw the coach under the bus this year. Next year is the GM.

You suck for a decade, make all those trades and have two good defenders on ELCs. You gotta press the all in button at some point. I'd bet money they end up with Saros/Markstrom/Ulmark.

Saros I'm not even sure if that pick gets you him.

Reactions: HitterD

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Personally I'd think real hard about doing 10 for 19 and Markstrom @50%.

I'd be cool with taking Coleman if Calgary took salary back as well, but Mangiapane is redundant on their roster. He'd just be another undersized non physical left shot winger, and they've got enough of those already

I don't think the #10 pick should be in play at all for Markstrom. Highest I'd go is a conditional '25 1st rounder, and even then there would probably have to be retention involved.

Markstrom is already 34 years old and has posted pedestrian (.904/.905) if not outright poor (.892) save percentages 3 of the past 4 seasons in front of some good/decent Calgary teams. He also has a full NMC (that he was allegedly willing to waive for NJ), seemingly got jerked around at this past TDL and has seen quite a few good vets depart over the past few years. Have to wonder what direction Calgary is going and if it's best for all parties involved to move on at this point.

I think the Devils have a fair bit of confidence in their goaltending pipeline that getting a guy on a 2 year deal at a lower cost might be preferable to acquiring a guy on an expiring deal that you'd have to immediately sign long-term.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Fans will never be happy moving a 10th OA pick. Just the way it is. Everyone wants the mystery box.

But the team has also underperformed majorly with goaltending being a main issue. Through the coach under the bus this year. Next year is the GM.

You suck for a decade, make all those trades and have two good defenders on ELCs. You gotta press the all in button at some point. I'd bet money they end up with Saros/Markstrom/Ulmark.

Still banking on an outlier trade though. Every time a team has traded for a starting goalie, they have been desperate for a goalie. The devils position isn't unique.

It's near impossible to find a skater that was traded for a top 10 pick at 30+ years old, nevermind a goalie. But there possibly is a frankenstein trade (as someone else said earlier in the thread) that can be created that moves those two pieces.

I feel pretty good that they are going to end up with one of those three, and have been pretty consistent in my belief that it would be Markstrom...i just don't think it'll happen at the cost of a #10 overall. I think if that first round pick had been on the table during the season when it had a chance to just be like 14/15, he would already be a devil.

That said, did find it interesting a couple of weeks ago that Dreger would suggest that maybe Markstrom wouldn't be as willing to waive for NJ this time around. Probably nothing and just him talking out his ass, but I'm not sure why you put that out into the ether regardless.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

But the team has also underperformed majorly with goaltending being a main issue. Threw the coach under the bus this year. Next year is the GM.

Saros I'm not even sure if that pick gets you him.
I think Saros or Ulmark but Markstrom not even same category. Markstrom better off in Calgary as mentor role for Wolf. His salary cap makes it out of reach for majority of teams anyway.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don't think the #10 pick should be in play at all for Markstrom. Highest I'd go is a conditional '25 1st rounder, and even then there would probably have to be retention involved.

Markstrom is already 34 years old and has posted pedestrian (.904/.905) if not outright poor (.892) save percentages 3 of the past 4 seasons in front of some good/decent Calgary teams. He also has a full NMC (that he was allegedly willing to waive for NJ), seemingly got jerked around at this past TDL and has seen quite a few good vets depart over the past few years. Have to wonder what direction Calgary is going and if it's best for all parties involved to move on at this point.

I think the Devils have a fair bit of confidence in their goaltending pipeline that getting a guy on a 2 year deal at a lower cost might be preferable to acquiring a guy on an expiring deal that you'd have to immediately sign long-term.
I don't like 10 being involved for Markstrom either but if you're just trading down and not out altogether it's easier to consider it. Markstrom at 3 million for two years wouldn't be the end of the window even if he doesn't work out.

He's definitely not my first, second or even third choice but I certainly wouldn't be upset if he's who they end up with assuming they don't overpay to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad