News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bond

May 10, 2012
Personally I'd think real hard about doing 10 for 19 and Markstrom @50%.

I'd be cool with taking Coleman if Calgary took salary back as well, but Mangiapane is redundant on their roster. He'd just be another undersized non physical left shot winger, and they've got enough of those already
Where is the 19 pick coming from?

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Honestly, there's a trade for markstrom involving 10 overall that absolutely makes sense from a value perspective. You can even that out pretty easily, I think.

But historically, this just hasn't happened. So it would definitely be a bit of an outlier and I just don't like banking on outlier trades.

I have no problems with Markstrom overall, even at his age (given his contract length and if you're adding retention its just not that big of a deal). But he's probably an above average goalie. Probably in the 11-14 range (with all due respect to Marty's rankings lol) so there's nothing to get super stoked about which is why devils fans aren't excited about the prospect of losing 10 over it. I think fewer devils fans have less of an issue with acquiring markstrom and more of an issue with just moving that pick to get him.
I just fail to see any logic for why we would need to be the ones giving up the premier piece.

Especially with markstroms age you'd want conditions on his play.

2025 1st+2nd for Markstrom 50% retained with some conditions to upgrade/downgrade based on health/play

Reactions: Forge

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I just fail to see any logic for why we would need to be the ones giving up the premier piece.

2025 1st+2nd for Markstrom 50% retained with some conditions to upgrade/downgrade based on health/play

Agreed.

Like, if you use the Arizona trade up for Geekie from a couple of years ago as a base, a trade of 10 for Markstrom + Vancouver's first would value Markstrom at like two early second round picks. That's whatever. I have no problem with that kind of value for Markstrom (and that's without retention...if retention was involved, that's awesome).

But giving up #10 to move out two second round picks worth of value just seems like bad process.

Reactions: dgibb10

Bond

May 10, 2012

25 1st and no retention is where I think this will land.

Reactions: Forge

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
25 1st and no retention is where I think this will land.
Hard no there.

2nd if there's no retention. With no retention there are virtually 0 feasible suitors.

You'd much rather go to Ullmark than unretained Markstrom.

6 mill for age 35 markstrom this year: sure, probably decent enough
6 mill for age 36 markstrom next year: I would view this year as a negative value.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Honestly, there's a trade for markstrom involving 10 overall that absolutely makes sense from a value perspective. You can even that out pretty easily, I think.

But historically, this just hasn't happened. So it would definitely be a bit of an outlier and I just don't like banking on outlier trades.

I have no problems with Markstrom overall, even at his age (given his contract length and if you're adding retention its just not that big of a deal). But he's probably an above average goalie. Probably in the 11-14 range (with all due respect to Marty's rankings lol) so there's nothing to get super stoked about which is why devils fans aren't excited about the prospect of losing 10 over it. I think fewer devils fans have less of an issue with acquiring markstrom and more of an issue with just moving that pick to get him.
I have shitted on markstrom extensively in the 2 years before this, even in hes vezina finalist season, but he was great this year, even if hes end of season stats may not seem impressive (mainly cuz the team just gave up after trading all their D). He just had hes best season ever as a flame, I think hes a bit better than 11-14, at least closer to 11 than 14 anyway. Pre deadline markstrom with a D thats not 4/6 AHL fodders was top 5 goalie in the league this year, overall i think theres maybe 5-7 guys you go hes definitely better than markstrom, rest of em markstrom can have a case. I really believe the turn off is hes age, if he was say 30 instead of 34, 10th overall might be a fair inclusion, I would never move 10th for a 34 yr old tho.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I have shitted on markstrom extensively in the 2 years before this, even in hes vezina finalist season, but he was great this year, even if hes end of season stats may not seem impressive (mainly cuz the team just gave up after trading all their D). He just had hes best season ever as a flame, I think hes a bit better than 11-14, at least closer to 11 than 14 anyway. Pre deadline markstrom with a D thats not 4/6 AHL fodders was top 5 goalie in the league this year, overall i think theres maybe 5-7 guys you go hes definitely better than markstrom, rest of em markstrom can have a case. I really believe the turn off is hes age, if he was say 30 instead of 34, 10th overall might be a fair inclusion, I would never move 10th for a 34 yr old tho.

He went 10 straight games without posting a single game above .900. Weaker defense or not, that’s a Markstrom issue.

The concern with Markstrom is his age. What’s the concern with age?: that a player’s best years are behind them and/or their play falls off a cliff. Ending the season as poorly as he did, did nothing to quell any concerns about his age.

Reactions: HBK27 and dgibb10

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
He went 10 straight games without posting a single game above .900. Weaker defense or not, that’s a Markstrom issue.

The concern with Markstrom is his age. What’s the concern with age?: that a player’s best years are behind them and/or their play falls off a cliff. Ending the season as poorly as he did, did nothing to quell any concerns about his age.
Its not an age thing that hes play fell off. I think he stopped caring, due to the trade rumours and ended up staying while team sold off all their key guys (not a good thing nevertheless). I think hes mentally ready to get tf outa here asap.Wolf was better post deadline, but wolf has more to prove and more motivation to try, markstrom just said screw this.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Could be a #10 for Goalie + lower 2024 1st

#10 for Saros + Preds #22
or
#10 for Markström + Canucks #28

This seems the most likely to me. There aren't many goalies in the league worth a top 10 pick, and I don't think any of them are available for trade.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Do you see any other team making an offer for an unretained markstrom? Especially a 1st worth?

LAK, TO, Colorado, Carolina. Those are some of the most cap strapped teams in the league. They wouldn't just be paying a 1st. LAK would be paying a 1st+Matt Roy, TO would be paying a 1st+Bertuzzi, Colorado would be paying a 1st+ a likely forced dump of a valuable asset like Girard, Manson, Colton, Carolina would be paying a 1st+Skjei/Pesce.

And just from a value perspective.

Age 35, sure he probably could play like a top 10-15 goalie and be worth 6 mill

Age 36? I would rather not commit 6 mill to a goalie at age 36 with markstrom's inconsistency over the last 4 years. Especially that, since he has a full NMC, you are 100% stuck with it. You cannot dump that salary.

Also, take a look at GSAx over the last 2 years:

Markstrom: 30.4, 107 starts
Freddy+Pyotr: 36.4, 106 starts
Georgiev+Annunen: 27.5, 141 starts
Talbot+RIttich: 33.3, 78 starts
Woll+Samsonov: 30.6, 114 starts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad