News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I lost you at the bolded. Thats what every trade is based on a players perceived value and what he can be shopped for. You may not want the player but thats what the market value of an asset is based on. There are more than 1 suitor for all players with his track record of performance age and accomplishments. You may not care or want the player but thats not how it works. I dont know why you think any of those other goalies will be any cheaper either. Who says St Louis is even shopping Binnington.
Nope, that's what fans discussing trades on internet message boards base it on. But in the real world, it's the real needs and desires of the teams involved that matters, not something that happened decades ago in different circumstances.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Trading the #10 overall pick for a 33 and 34 year old who probably can't be counted on for much longer seems like a really bad notion.

If each of those guys bottomed out starting this season, it wouldn't be shocking at all.
I understand the concern with the age (although Coleman doesn't turn 33 until Nov 28th and showed no signs of slowing down this season). I was thinking with little regression these players would fill some important win now roles and would give NJ some cap flexibility to go out and sign some UFAs without compromising the upcoming contracts to Hughes and Nemec. That said I totally understand your point of view and also would understand if Calgary would be opposed to using 2 retention slots.

Reactions: Forge

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Between Markstrom and Ullmark, it has to be Ullmark. He's younger and better - and Fitzy seems really serious about getting the RIGHT goalie.

My question is - with a goalie...is NJD a contender? Will Dougie be back to 100% in 2024-25?
Will we see a bounce back from Meier?

Or does NJD need to make other moves to get where they need to be. They are really light in the middle. Could they use a beefier 3 and 4C?
Ullmark is better, but he's shown no evidence that he can actually hold a starter required workload which is a pretty big concern, especially when you hit the playoffs. I mean, if you trade for Ullmark but he still has to alternate with Jake Allen in the playoffs, that's scary.

There really aren't any goalies that they can acquire that gives you the warm and fuzzies if we are being completely honest.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To :devils
G Jacob Markstrom ($3M retained by Hawks for 2024-25 and 2025-26 seasons)
28th overall (From Flames)
67th overall (From Hawks)

To :hawks
10th overall (From Devils)

To :flames
18th overall (From Hawks)

- Devils get Markstrom at $3M cap hit, Move down to #28 in draft and gain early 3rd
- Hawks make jump to #10 in draft
- Flames jump from #28 to #18 giving them #9 and #18 in draft

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Hawks make jump to #10 in draft, Devils get Markstrom for 2 years at $3M cap hit and moves into late part of 1st round, Flames jump from #28 to #18 giving them #9 and #18 in draft

Nope

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

- Devils get Markstrom at $3M cap hit, Move down to #28 in draft and gain early 3rd

The Hawks have zero need to be involved here.. and are getting by far the best value.

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary

Hawks make jump to #10 in draft, Devils get Markstrom for 2 years at $3M cap hit and moves into late part of 1st round, Flames jump from #28 to #18 giving them #9 and #18 in draft

If the above was enough for the Devils, the Flames would just cut Chicago out of the deal and retain the 3M themselves for the 10th overall pick.

From a Flames perspective jumping from 28 to 18 is not worth losing Markstrom at all. The Flames will end up with a similar prospect at 28 as at 18 in this draft. For me the drop-off is around 15-16. It makes far more sense to move up to 10 directly, retain, and add a 3rd rounder as well if needed as in your proposal

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ducks offer John Gibson, Urho Vaakanainen, Max Jones, 1st (31/32th), 2nd (35th) :thumbu:
Way too much IMO.

Assuming NJ was interested in Gibson (a big assumption), I think Gibson @ 30% retained for 10OA would be fair. Gibson has 3 years left on a deal that would cost NJ $4.5 million per year. That's not bad value if NJ believes he can still be an upper tier NHL goalie.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018

Nothing wrong with the value here for the devils, I just wouldn't do it.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
To Chicago- 10th and Palat
To NJ-Ullmark and ?
To Boston-18th and Holtz

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

Chicago would only get involved if there was double retention. i.e Devils get Markstrom at 25% cap hit.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
To Chicago- 10th and Palat
To NJ-Ullmark and ?
To Boston-18th and Holtz

The problem here is that I think the idea behind this is that Palat is a cap dump. The devils have no reason to dump Palat right now (he also has a full no move). His underlyings are fine. I wish the health got better.

The devils are also now losing two more skaters that they would have to replace in the off season. So we pick up a goalie but now have to add at least 3 top 9 forwards as there is an opening as it is.

Reactions: MakoSlade

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Thinking about this more, anyone proposing Saros/Ullmark/Markstrom for 10th overall is way out to lunch. I still don't see a goalie fit that'd be worth the pick 10.

For forwards, I'm really starting to wonder about Brady Tkachuk. There's been a lot of smoke around him. There's the Fitzgerald connection. Gotta think NJ could easily offer up a package of 10th+Mercer/Holtz. I just don't know what else would need to be added and how the cap would work

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Fantastic for my hawks

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not necessarily for the 10th overall but I wonder if John Gibson could fit for the devils. Hes had sub par years the last 2 seasons but he’s playing on a young lottery team with thin defense. Also, Dostal looks like he’s ready to be a starter.

Devils traded a top10 pick for Schneider once upon a time. I don’t think Gibson is where Schneider was at that time as far as value though.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Ullmark is better, but he's shown no evidence that he can actually hold a starter required workload which is a pretty big concern, especially when you hit the playoffs. I mean, if you trade for Ullmark but he still has to alternate with Jake Allen in the playoffs, that's scary.

There really aren't any goalies that they can acquire that gives you the warm and fuzzies if we are being completely honest.
You're right. None of these goalie candidates are perfect. Markstrom has one vezina level season when CGY was stacked. The rest of his career is average and he hasn't always been able to carry the load. Saros would be ideal if he was 3 inches taller. With a looser D structure, I wonder how is numbers look in NJD.

With Ullmark, I think the question whether Ullmark can carry the load will be answered soon enough wherever he lands. His best season was 2022-23 when he played 49 games (the most of his career). He could have and would have played more if it weren't for the emergence of Jeremy Swayman. I look at the series against FLA...I mean, FLA plays such a chaotic style...they are finding ways to score against everyone.

I think if NJD makes a move for Ullmark, fans will be happy. He is really solid and he is at a place in his career where he is ready to take it to another level.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Thinking about this more, anyone proposing Saros/Ullmark/Markstrom for 10th overall is way out to lunch. I still don't see a goalie fit that'd be worth the pick 10.

For forwards, I'm really starting to wonder about Brady Tkachuk. There's been a lot of smoke around him. There's the Fitzgerald connection. Gotta think NJ could easily offer up a package of 10th+Mercer/Holtz. I just don't know what else would need to be added and how the cap would work

Cap implications aside, if OTT was truly shopping Tkachuk and willing to accept something like 10thOA + Mercer, Tkachuk would have been a Devil yesterday.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Not necessarily for the 10th overall but I wonder if John Gibson could fit for the devils. Hes had sub par years the last 2 seasons but he’s playing on a young lottery team with thin defense. Also, Dostal looks like he’s ready to be a starter.

Devils traded a top10 pick for Schneider once upon a time.
Spot the difference between Schneider in the 3 years pre trade to Gibson's last 3 years.

The only realistic comps to Schneider in the current NHL are, Jeremy Swayman and Thatcher Demko
Screen Shot 2024-06-04 at 12.16.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-06-04 at 12.16.46 PM.png

Reactions: Raistlin and HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad