News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe that has something to do with his stats not being very good 3 of the past 4 years...

Plus the fact he's already 34 years old and his best days are most likely behind him.

He'd still be an upgrade for NJ, but the attraction here is not having to give up too much to get him and that he only has 2 more years of term, which aligns well if NJ ever has anything in Schmid, Daws, Malek or Poulter - whereas a Saros or Ullmark deal cost more and requires a lengthy extension on top of that.
?

This past year he was likely our team MVP, and the main reason we were in a WC spot until late
Year before that was a down year, team had alot of change and chemistry wasn't there
21-22 he was 2nd in voting for the Vezina
20-21 he was solid

4 years in CGY and only 1 year was not very good. Kinda the opposite what you're claiming

If NJ could get the same JM as this year for the next 2 seasons, it would be exactly what they need.
But go ahead and keep shopping for unproven young goalies, when you already have those.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
?

This past year he was likely our team MVP, and the main reason we were in a WC spot until late
Year before that was a down year, team had alot of change and chemistry wasn't there
21-22 he was 2nd in voting for the Vezina
20-21 he was solid

4 years in CGY and only 1 year was not very good. Kinda the opposite what you're claiming

If NJ could get the same JM as this year for the next 2 seasons, it would be exactly what they need.
But go ahead and keep shopping for unproven young goalies, when you already have those.

You stated "That is because very few Devils fans know how good Markstrom is."

And I basically stated that's because the stats don't really back that up. I'm not disputing his actual play with someone that actually watches him on a regular basis and I know the stats don't tell the whole story.

We can agree he had an outstanding '21-'22 season and a poor '22-'23 season for Calgary. The other two seasons were a .904 & .905 SV% - which is slightly above league average. In hindsight, I should've have used the term "not very good" - I didn't mean that he had poor seasons, but that he did not have "very good" seasons those years. My bad on that.

Overall, one great season, one poor season and two average (or slightly above average) seasons. I know a full year stat line doesn't tell the whole story and that he was playing well this season before the TDL, but it seems like the wheels completely fell off after that. As someone else already mentioned, ending the season with 10 straight sub-.900 SV% games is a bit concerning for an aging goalie, though I know thinking he might be traded and seeing a bunch of other guys dealt had to have some impact.

Ultimately, I think he's the top trade target for NJ for a number of reasons. As I've stated, he'd certainly be an upgrade in net for the Devils. I'd be surprised if the #10 pick was part of any deal, but we'll I guess we'll all see how this plays out by the draft.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I really don't get this fascination with youth.
1. Aging curves are legit. Doesn't mean that Markstrom can't stay effective, but guys don't tend to get better at age 34/35, so that would definitely be a concern.

2. PTSD from Schneider, Bernier, Crawford.

Its very clear that Fitz doesn't give two craps about him being 34 though.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I haven't seen a single post say he alone is worth 10th
I don't understand your post then, you said that Devils fans don't realize how good he is because it was pointed out that Devil fans weren't interested in giving up 10 for him but Flame fans are super interested in getting 10 for him.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Once again, there’s a reason why there doesn’t seem to be a single Devils fan who wants to move the 10th pick in a deal for Markstrom, yet almost every single Flames fan is proposing it. That says something about the value.
I dont care what the fans think lol, apparently their GM is in the media saying they are willing to move the 10th pick for a goalie. I also listed other valuable assets the flames could add to the make it sting less, did you see that part?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand your post then, you said that Devils fans don't realize how good he is because it was pointed out that Devil fans weren't interested in giving up 10 for him but Flame fans are super interested in getting 10 for him.
Because any offer from us has been along the lines of adding our late first, or retention. Even adding another player
Again, not a single person is saying Markstrom alone is worth 10th. So we are in agreement that more would need to come from CGY's side.

My point of NJ fans don't know how good he is, is when they pull out the stats & age.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
I dont care what the fans think lol, apparently their GM is in the media saying they are willing to move the 10th pick for a goalie. I also listed other valuable assets the flames could add to the make it sting less, did you see that part?

I'd recommend re-reading what he said. You are correct that he would be willing to move it for a goalie, but as others have said, this has been unnecessarily merged.

He's willing to move #10. He's looking for a goalie. These are two separate things. They could ultimately be the same depending on the player, but there's nothing that specifically latches them together from jump. The other conditions he put on getting back for #10 would lead you to think that guys like ullmark and markstrom wouldn't really fit in with what he's looking for in return for the pick, tbh

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Not exactly...

Fitz has stated that he is willing to move the #10 pick to improve his team.

He has also stated that he is looking for a goalie.

At no point did he ever combine those two statements.

1717604314260.png

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Because any offer from us has been along the lines of adding our late first, or retention. Even adding another player
Again, not a single person is saying Markstrom alone is worth 10th. So we are in agreement that more would need to come from CGY's side.

My point of NJ fans don't know how good he is, is when they pull out the stats & age.
I see, I don't see his numbers and have concerns but his age is an issue for sure. The Devils haven't exactly had the best luck trading for/signing goalies without having him not immediately break down or quit Bernier and Crawford were signed to 2 year deals and they started 8 games between the two.
They've just seen too many older goalies go to NJ only to break down immediately

At least when they gave up 9th for Schneider they got a few years before his hips exploded.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I really don't get this fascination with youth. How on Earth is Mont better than Markstrom?

NJ wants Markstrom for what he can provide right now, not what he can provide 4 years from now.
Montembault has a higher GSAx than Markstrom over the last 2 years btw.

He's also not 35 and 36 in the next 2 seasons.

Here is a list of goalies to manage 80 starts (40 starts a season) and put up a positive GSAx in their age 35-36 seasons since 2007

Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 12.18.11 PM.png

This is a 16 year time frame

The list of goalies who've been able to provide quality starter play at ages 35 and 36 is slim to none.

Reactions: HBK27

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
I know this isn't a goalie but would Drake Batherson for 10OA make sense?

Batherson has been a 65 point player on a 5m contract for the next 3 years, also plays physical. Can probably hit 70-80 points, maybe even more, playing on the Devils.

Would've probably been a PPG player had he not gotten injured by Aaron Dell in 2022, hw was on pace for 90 points before that happened.

NJD looking a little thin at wing after Bratt and Meier. Now of course NJD fans have the right to reject this but I think this is a reasonable proposal, heck Romanov went for a 13OA pick pretty much.

OTT would do this to re-stock the prospect cupboards after atrocious management by PD and can hopefully can sign a top 6 vet winger in FA to replace Batherson

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
I know this isn't a goalie but would Drake Batherson for 10OA make sense?

Batherson has been a 65 point player on a 5m contract for the next 3 years, also plays physical. Can probably hit 70-80 points, maybe even more, playing on the Devils.

Would've probably been a PPG player had he not gotten injured by Aaron Dell in 2022, hw was on pace for 90 points before that happened.

NJD looking a little thin at wing after Bratt and Meier. Now of course NJD fans have the right to reject this but I think this is a reasonable proposal, heck Romanov went for a 13OA pick pretty much.

OTT would do this to re-stock the prospect cupboards after atrocious management by PD and can hopefully can sign a top 6 vet winger in FA to replace Batherson

I could see it, tbh.

I'm not sure how the value shakes out ultimately, but assuming 3 years is enough to meet Fitz's measure "we can control for a few years", I think Batherson may be the level of player they would be looking at.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

And he also said in regards to moving the 10th pick:

““Yeah, for sure,” Fitzgerald said. “I’m more than willing to move the pick for the right asset. One that we control, one that’s probably in the same demographic as our team — maybe not 23, 24 years old but somebody we control for a few years.

Does that sound like Markstrom to you? Because it doesn’t to me.

The Devils may very well still acquire Markstrom, but that doesn’t mean they are dealing the 10th pick in a deal for him.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That would be bad move for B's IMO

Swayman is present and future in Boston net

Can't see the Bruins doing that for 10OA. Pasta just turned 28 last week. All their important players sans Marchand are in their prime RIGHT NOW. They don't have 3 or 4 years to wait around for a 10OA to maybe pan out.
Sure... or Ullmark. I can't see it being another goalie other than Swayman or Gibson, but I predict Gibson will turn into the biggest disappointment next season.

Or, maybe Boston flips the 10th overall pick for the best contract for the player at the best value.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
The only goalie who might be worth 10th overall and might be available is Saros. A long shot, but perhaps also Demko if management is concerned about his injury history and think Silovs can take the reigns.

Seems like it would be part of a bigger trade. Markstrom + Vancouver’s 1st (28th overall) + ? for 10th overall?

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
The only goalie who might be worth 10th overall and might be available is Saros. A long shot, but perhaps also Demko if management is concerned about his injury history and think Silovs can take the reigns.

Seems like it would be part of a bigger trade. Markstrom + Vancouver’s 1st (28th overall) + ? for 10th overall?
A 35 yr old goalie won't be the centerpiece of a top 10 overall draft pick

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Feel like the Devils won't be moving the 10th pick for a goalie alone, doesn't make any sense to do that, I'd imagine it would be a package of a couple players that included a goalie.

Devils are set upfront no? I don't think a Gibson + Zegras for 10th overall + roster player~ is something that would interest them? Or if that would even interest Anahiem for that matter.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Feel like the Devils won't be moving the 10th pick for a goalie alone, doesn't make any sense to do that, I'd imagine it would be a package of a couple players that included a goalie.

Devils are set upfront no? I don't think a Gibson + Zegras for 10th overall + roster player~ is something that would interest them? Or if that would even interest Anahiem for that matter.
Devils will def be in the market for another top 6 winger ala the Toffoli trade last summer, does it materialize ? Who knows. If a trade doesn't work out, Fitzy has been rumored to be extremely high on Debrusk for yrs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Habs can help the Devils out. We trade for Markstrom and give the Flames their 1st back. Also add the Jets 1st and another add.

Then we trade Markstrom to the Devils for 10th with retention to make it more attractive for their salary cap strategy while they try to move into the playoffs. Habs have assets to add on top of Markstrom but it won't be a grade A prospect.

Bond

May 10, 2012
A 35 yr old goalie won't be the centerpiece of a top 10 overall draft pick
Yeah, I think there is zero chance the 10th is moved for Markstrom but it would have to be Markstrom @ 50% and the Van pick or something and the Devils would have to not really like anyone at 10

Bond

May 10, 2012
Habs can help the Devils out. We trade for Markstrom and give the Flames their 1st back. Also add the Jets 1st and another add.
The Flames would just cut Montreal out of that trade lol. No way they are finishing outside the bottom 10 with Markstrom gone and there isn't much risk Florida will have a top ten pick.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

Then we trade Markstrom to the Devils for 10th with retention to make it more attractive for their salary cap strategy while they try to move into the playoffs. Habs have assets to add on top of Markstrom but it won't be a grade A prospect.
No lol

• Haha
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad