News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bond

May 10, 2012
I was being facetious because it doesn't seem like they want to move Saros at all.

Obviously the extension being bandied about could all be just talk, but I'll take it at somewhat face value right now
Oh for sure. I think the Preds would only move him for some dumb overpayment

Reactions: Forge

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I mean he said over and over gain they are looking for a goalie. No hiding it. But, he didn't come out and say that 10OA was on the table for a goalie. Just that if they trade 10OA for a forward, that might take away from their ability to get a goalie. Which *could* mean 10OA could be on the table for a goalie OR it could mean they wouldn't be willing to trade back to back firsts or whatever.
And that if they trade the 10th overall maybe they trade into the late first round or gain another late first next year and a goalie?

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Personally, I love Fitz not rushing to deal for any of these goalies. Wait out Nashville, let them pay Saros and play Askarov. Calgary could give up Markstrom for Pennies on the dollar at this point and I still don't think Fitz will bite there. If he doesn't end up making a deal for Calgary i think most on here will be shocked at how little the devils eventually give up.

10th overall is not going for a goalie, not in a package for one either.

Mercer
10th Overall
Casey
??

Brady T

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
“It’s talking to the market and getting the pulse of where people are at with their goaltenders and what they want to do. When you have good goaltending, it’s tough to let go, and it’s tough to pry out of people. But there are situations … I’ve got the pulse of what’s going on. There are a few guys that I’m in on.”

“At the end of the day, it’s a big part of what we want to do elsewhere. All of a sudden, the No. 10 pick comes into play, and we’re moving it for Player X, who is a forward, and that guy costs X, and there’s a domino effect on the goaltender.”

“I’m more than willing to move the pick for the right asset. One that we control, one that’s probably in the same demographic as our team — maybe not 23, 24 years old but somebody we control for a few years. Nothing’s come my way yet, though.“

“We’re a little too vanilla up front. I’m looking on the back end, as well, for something,”

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Personally, I love Fitz not rushing to deal for any of these goalies. Wait out Nashville, let them pay Saros and play Askarov. Calgary could give up Markstrom for Pennies on the dollar at this point and I still don't think Fitz will bite there. If he doesn't end up making a deal for Calgary i think most on here will be shocked at how little the devils eventually give up.

10th overall is not going for a goalie, not in a package for one either.

Mercer
10th Overall
Casey
??

Brady T
Not saying you rush a trade but waiting out the market is not a good idea either. Saros is now rumoured to be signing an extension. Markstrom does not need to be traded and Ullmark if the right package doesn't come from his likely limited ntc market will also be retained for the duo for one more season and look at moving him next deadline. Add to all that what seems to be a good amount of demand for goalies this off season you can easily end up looking at what every other team did while you over waited on the market.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Not saying you rush a trade but waiting out the market is not a good idea either. Saros is now rumoured to be signing an extension. Markstrom does not need to be traded and Ullmark if the right package doesn't come from his likely limited ntc market will also be retained for the duo for one more season and look at moving him next deadline. Add to all that what seems to be a good amount of demand for goalies this off season you can easily end up looking at what every other team did while you over waited on the market.
Worst case scenario you use the assets to fill other holes, which do exist in NJD.

And goalies still remain a crapshoot. Here are the top 30 in GSAx in the last 2 years. Notice how vastly different they are. Notice how many top guys are nowhere to be found the next year.

The list of goalies to have back to back quality regular seasons and playoffs is like 2. Swayman and Shesterkin. Maybe Bob (who would you really trust at age 36?) and Adin Hill (in a backup quantity of starts)
Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 9.16.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-06-05 at 9.16.30 PM.png

Reactions: Smitty426

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Here is something i thought about if the Canucks wanna go for a massive swing.

Luke Hughes for Demko.

Canucks run with Silovs for the ultimate gamble, and use the extra cap space to find a backup Goalie in the FA Market.
They also get better Defensively and Luke Reunites with Quinn!

The Devils are stacked on Defense, they have so many elite prospects/Players, Losing Hughes for a legit True top end goalie could work really well for them.

PS - Originally this had the 10th involved, but it makes more sense like this lmao

Last edited:

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

Luke Hughes for Demko.

Canucks run with Silovs for the ultimate gamble, and use the extra cap space to find a backup Goalie in the FA Market.

The Devils are stacked on Defense, they have so many elite prospects/Players, Losing Hughes for a legit True top end goalie could work really well for them.

PS - Originally this had the 10th involved, but it makes more sense like this lmao
no

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022

Luke Hughes for Demko.

i think that is actually a pretty fair deal, Demko is more proven, but has also had some injury issues, which might scare NJ off. When Demko is healthy, he is unreal.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Luke Hughes for Demko.

Nah

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

Luke Hughes for Demko.

That actually sounds about right but maybe slight +. The + being on if Demko can play 50 games or not. If not then it becomes a 1st 2025 or 2026 top ten protected and if he does becomes 2nd .

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks LB

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The rest of the league applauds the NJDs, Toronto Maple Leafs, the Buffalo Sabres, the CBJs etc for the adherence by their managements and Fans to poor team construction.

May it ever be so.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Devils could try to get UPL from the Sabres for less than 10OA.

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
Wild Fans will get mad - but Stuart Skinner has shown that Goaltending doesn't matter.

What would NJD add to get Wallstedt?
He actually does, when he sucks we normally lose, and when he's league average or better we win. Elite goaltending may not matter, but you absolutely need league average goaltending to win.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The rest of the league applauds the NJDs, Toronto Maple Leafs, the Buffalo Sabres, the CBJs etc for the adherence by their managements and Fans to poor team construction.

May it ever be so.

Looking at your post history, you’re a Vancouver fan. Obviously that franchise is a model of consistency lol.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
i think that is actually a pretty fair deal, Demko is more proven, but has also had some injury issues, which might scare NJ off. When Demko is healthy, he is unreal.

Even if you remove the names, it's not a fair deal to trade a young stud defenseman that still has 6 team controlled years and was just a Calder nominee for two years of a top 10 goalie - especially given Demko's inconsistencies (.901 SV% / 3.16 GAA in 2022-2023) and injury history.

Add in the last name and it's insane to trade Luke Hughes from NJ anywhere (which would no doubt piss of their franchise player), let alone to Vancouver and risk having Jack bolt as a UFA to join Quinn and Luke in Vancouver.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

May it ever be so.
Vancouver fan blasting everyone that isn't Vancouver for their teams make up.. Because you know, the Canucks ability to build a contender has resulted in zero Stanley Cups in their 54 year history!!

Bravo!!

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
That was then and this is now.

Pick up 2024 is calling...

...or keep rummaging around at Value Village for a starting Goalie.

Your choice.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Not sure I want to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a goalie all the time, but Stuart Skinner may win a cup this year and he's .890 over nearly 30 playoff games. Adin Hill won one last year and being considered a below mid goalie his entire career. Kuemper won one barely playing at .900.

You can win won with an elite goalie carrying the team, or you can win one with a strong group of skaters and a meh goalie (either by way of that goalie playing above their station for the playoff run, or just being able to compensate for poor play by said goalie).

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad