News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Devils could try to get UPL from the Sabres for less than 10OA.
Interesting name...I am just not sure why Buffalo would move him ?

He had a good year last year and I'm not sure that Levi is ready for that role. Unless they are acquiring someone like Ullmark before the season, shouldn't they keep him ? That team has to start winning and unless they are just getting an upgrade on UPL somewhere, this feels like spinning your tires in the hamster wheel of death.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
"Large amounts of bets on a team can change odds". Not nearly enough people are betting on 2024 future cup odds to sway them yet.

The odds are set by the vast vast data pools that vegas has to analyze teams, games, and every other variable you can think of.
the important lesson is that the odds aren't meant to reflect who the bookmaker thinks is going to win. it's about balancing the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yemeth

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
the important lesson is that the odds aren't meant to reflect who the bookmaker thinks is going to win. it's about balancing the money.

Correct - oddsmakers take into consideration how fan bases will bet when coming up with the odds and they will shift based on betting patterns, but the former doesn't have a much of an impact (considering NJ's fanbase is smaller than Vancouver's, unless this is US-based only) and the latter doesn't apply yet since these were the first betting odds released.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Correct - oddsmakers take into consideration how fan bases will bet when coming up with the odds and they will shift based on betting patterns, but the former doesn't have a much of an impact (considering NJ's fanbase is smaller than Vancouver's, unless this is US-based only) and the latter doesn't apply yet since these were the first betting odds released.
i think your underestimating the bookmakers. i think they have a good idea how much money is going to be wagered and where it lands.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
i think your underestimating the bookmakers. i think they have a good idea how much money is going to be wagered and where it lands.

Perhaps, especially since I don't gamble at all (mainly because I absolutely despise all the betting ads we're not inundated with as fans), but I still think that plays a relatively small part in the overall odds-making compared to a team's actual chances and it's far from a stretch to believe an up-and-coming team like NJ (that set a franchise points record two seasons ago and was injury-plagued this past season and sunk by goalies, which they've only begun to address with Allen, and worked two rookies and a very green Bahl in on defense) is favored over a Canucks team that may have overachieved this season. Not really a stretch.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gonna laugh when Fitzy nabs a goalie and it's someone none of us even expected were available. He likes to do that alot, Graves, Marino etc etc to an extent Khakonen last yr
Goalies aren’t like defencemen. There are only a few legit starters available and the surprises, like Kahkonen, are usually backup quality or worse.

Reactions: Kegs

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

And I think the bookies are assuming up front that NJ is gonna make a splash at goalie to keep folks from getting easy money early.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
To Chicago- 10th and Palat
To NJ-Ullmark and ?
To Boston-18th and Holtz
10th overall for Ullmark extended, stop complicated things, Ullmark is the best available other goalies available are crap, Markstrom, Montambeault lol, Kuemper etc... maybe Saros but i expecte Nash to extend him

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think 10th overall for Markstrom is an over payment by the Devils, simple at that.

However they also have picks 28, 41, and something around 60. I imagine adding 28th to Markstrom would be a little steep for the CGY management as it only bring them up 18 spots but I don't think anyone would hate it.

The devils have 10 and then nothing until the 3rd.

Could they get creative and do something like:

To NJD: Markstrom 41 and/or 60

To CGY: 10, 80

Markstrom and one second is a pretty good offer. Markstrom and two seconds is a good offer. Markstrom and a late first is a really good offer. So they have different attack angles here. See how it plays out.
Markstrom at this stage of his career is only average goalie with huge contract. Doubt Jersey giving up 10 for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad