News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Feel like the Devils won't be moving the 10th pick for a goalie alone, doesn't make any sense to do that, I'd imagine it would be a package of a couple players that included a goalie.

Devils are set upfront no? I don't think a Gibson + Zegras for 10th overall + roster player~ is something that would interest them? Or if that would even interest Anahiem for that matter.

Gibson isn’t good anymore and Zegras’ skillset is pretty much the antithesis of what Fitzgerald said he thinks the team is missing up front.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Flames would just cut Montreal out of that trade lol. No way they are finishing outside the bottom 10 with Markstrom gone and there isn't much risk Florida will have a top ten pick.

Habs can offer 50% retention. Would the Flames do that?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Gibson isn’t good anymore and Zegras’ skillset is pretty much the antithesis of what Fitzgerald said he thinks the team is missing up front.
Yeah, I feel like Gibson gets a raw deal, starts off well but fades as the Ducks fade through the season.

I saw the comments eariler by Fitz, looks like he's trying to add a diff element then high skilled winger that doesn't play heavy.. funny, the leafs are trying to do the same lol.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Wild Fans will get mad - but Stuart Skinner has shown that Goaltending doesn't matter.

What would NJD add to get Wallstedt?

• Haha
Reactions: Bond

Ledge And Dairy

Habs can help the Devils out. We trade for Markstrom and give the Flames their 1st back. Also add the Jets 1st and another add.

Then we trade Markstrom to the Devils for 10th with retention to make it more attractive for their salary cap strategy while they try to move into the playoffs. Habs have assets to add on top of Markstrom but it won't be a grade A prospect.
Lol you can keep that 1st as it will be Florida's, keep trying Habs fans

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
if saros extends that makes the goalie market that much worse. devils may have missed their chance on another big name goalie.
He'd be the most expensive to acquire and unless he signs a sweetheart of a deal (and would have signed the same deal in NJ) I wouldn't worry too much about missing on him.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
He'd be the most expensive to acquire and unless he signs a sweetheart of a deal (and would have signed the same deal in NJ) I wouldn't worry too much about missing on him.
why would he have to sign a sweetheart deal. even at market value he's exactly what nj needs.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
why would he have to sign a sweetheart deal. even at market value he's exactly what nj needs.
If he wants 7-8 years and big money that takes most if not all of the Devils contention window. If he breaks down or doesn't work out it becomes a massive issue for their cap. I have the same issue with him as I did with Helle last offseason, the older goalies get the more likely their bodies give out and committing long term big money is a scary thought especially for a goalie that hasn't played a single game for the team.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
If he wants 7-8 years and big money that takes most if not all of the Devils contention window. If he breaks down or doesn't work out it becomes a massive issue for their cap. I have the same issue with him as I did with Helle last offseason, the older goalies get the more likely their bodies give out and committing long term big money is a scary thought especially for a goalie that hasn't played a single game for the team.
if any player breaks down they can become an issue thats the same for everyone. considering saros has been pretty heathy and has low mileage that shouldn't be a major concern. the bigger concern for the devils should be finishing 13th in the east this season and l. hughes only has 1 season left on his elc and nemec only has 2 seasons left. if the devils wait around for perfect they are going to miss a golden opportunity.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
if any player breaks down they can become an issue thats the same for everyone. considering saros has been pretty heathy and has low mileage that shouldn't be a major concern. the bigger concern for the devils should be finishing 11th in the east this season and l. hughes only has 1 season left on his elc and nemec only has 2 seasons left. if the devils wait around for perfect they are going to miss a golden opportunity.
It's not the same for every player, goalies breaking down is a way bigger deal than some random winger. While I agree they need a legit starting goalie, they can't go crazy and give up a massive package for him and then sign him to a cap crippling contract, especially when those guys are going to need new deals too.

If they can pay fair value for him and sign him to a deal under 8 million for 6 or less years, go for it. if the ask is 10, Mercer plus Holtz and he want 9.5 per and an 8 year term, that's not the right thing to do.

Bond

May 10, 2012
They seem like they really want to move Saros too
Saros would be expensive asset and cap wise. I think they just gamble on Markstrom assuming the Flames will move him for a reasonable price. Probably can extend him cheap for a couple years if he is still performing decently as well

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Saros would be expensive asset and cap wise. I think they just gamble on Markstrom assuming the Flames will move him for a reasonable price. Probably can extend him cheap for a couple years if he is still performing decently as well

I was being facetious because it doesn't seem like they want to move Saros at all.

Obviously the extension being bandied about could all be just talk, but I'll take it at somewhat face value right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad