News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nashville offered huge to trade up with us at 5 last year. Probably try similar. A 3 team deal maybe? Montreal - Nashville- Jersey, with Askarov and 22 ending up in Jersey and 10 plus Mercer in Montreal, 5 going to Nashville.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nashville offered huge to trade up with us at 5 last year. Probably try similar. A 3 team deal maybe? Montreal - Nashville- Jersey, with Askarov and 22 ending up in Jersey and 10 plus Mercer in Montreal, 5 going to Nashville.
That was a one-time thing to get one of those centers at the top of the '23 draft. I doubt Trotz would consider the same this season.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’m guessing you’re not a fan of top end goaltending?

If not luke, what do you think a top three goalie in the league is worth, making 5m?
Yeah Devils fans know nothing about high end goaltending. Or some of us got to watch Marty Brodeur play his entire career.

Your almost 30 year old, injury prone, goaltender is not worth a top pairing LHD, Calder cup finalist, and one of the Hughes bros. Well keep 2/3 of the Hughes, thanks. Quinn can join his brothers when the time is right.

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
There is no goalie on the market worth the #10 pick... nor can I see a winger on the market that fits the Devil's criteria (term and certain age) that is on the market. I suspect they stand pat here and draft. Fitz is listening though.

My dream is to land Ilya Sorokin from a rebuilding Islanders team, however, Lou is not rebuilding and will keep them in mediocrity for the foreseeable future like he did in the Devils tenure years ago during Schneider's time. Ilya has the age and term but in division trade and Lou being Lou, its a pipe dream. Lou should have traded Cory Schneider when he knew the Devils were not ready to compete for a cup. Drives me crazy he wasted him. He's doing the same with Ilya.

Reactions: theoptimist

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no goalie on the market worth the #10 pick... nor can I see a winger on the market that fits the Devil's criteria (term and certain age) that is on the market. I suspect they stand pat here and draft. Fitz is listening though.

My dream is to land Ilya Sorokin from a rebuilding Islanders team, however, Lou is not rebuilding and will keep them in mediocrity for the foreseeable future like he did in the Devils tenure years ago during Schneider's time. Ilya has the age and term but in division trade and Lou being Lou, its a pipe dream. Lou should have traded Cory Schneider when he knew the Devils were not ready to compete for a cup. Drives me crazy he wasted him. He's doing the same with Ilya.

Askarov? Not NHL proven but the pedigree is there. Former 11th OA pick in 2020 and I don't think he has increased or decreased his trade value. Age 22 season coming and only 3 NHL games. If you believe in him, it's the best time to pick him up. Because if he starts playing NHL games and shines, you won't get him with the 10th pick.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yeah Devils fans know nothing about high end goaltending. Or some of us got to watch Marty Brodeur play his entire career.

Your almost 30 year old, injury prone, goaltender is not worth a top pairing LHD, Calder cup finalist, and one of the Hughes bros. Well keep 2/3 of the Hughes, thanks. Quinn can join his brothers when the time is right.
Demko doesn't turn 29 until December, Calder Cup finalist means nothing, and just being a Hughes bro doesn't add any value. No need to embellish, Demko for Hughes is ridiculous on its own merits. :D

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Demko doesn't turn 29 until December, Calder Cup finalist means nothing, and just being a Hughes bro doesn't add any value. No need to embellish, Demko for Hughes is ridiculous on its own merits. :D

I wouldn’t do it even without contract considerations. Regardless, Demko also only has two more years and a history of injury issues. Luke still has another year left on just his ELC. These things matter.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Why are the devils targeting markstrom when there are better goalies available

I think realistically there are only 3 bonafide starters available: Markstrom, Saros, and Ullmark. And even then, Saros might not end up being available, and Ullmark has a 16 team NTC, so he may be difficult to move.

Presumably Markstrom will be cheapest, but he also clearly is not a longer term solution at his age. He’s just the most realistic option.

Last edited:

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I wouldn’t do it even without contract considerations. Regardless, Demko also only has two more years and a history of injury issues. Luke still has another year left on just his ELC. These things matter.
The goal is to get Luke and then lure Jack down the road. Devils clearly say no.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

dls

Jan 20, 2009
Devils have gone on record that they believe in Daws/Schmidt. a Markstrom/Allen 2-3 year play till Daws and Schmidt are 25-27 makes sense. Reality is that Devils want to compete now.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
10 and 22 going to MTL
Askarov going to NJD
5 going to nashville

Why on earth would NJD add Mercer?
Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 12.02.31 PM.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Devils have gone on record that they believe in Daws/Schmidt. a Markstrom/Allen 2-3 year play till Daws and Schmidt are 25-27 makes sense. Reality is that Devils want to compete now.
1 year play with Allen. After this year Schmid/Daws have to come to the show.

1G/Allen -1 year-> 1G/Schmid -however many years-> Schmid/not predicting backup goalies 5 years down the line

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think realistically there are only 3 bonafide starters available: Markstrom, Saros, and Ullmark. And even then, Saros might not end up being available, and Ullmark has a 16 team NTC, so he may be difficult to move.

Presumably Markstrom will be cheapest, but he also clearly is not a longer term solution at his age. He’s just the most realistic option.

I'm sure Merzlikins and Gibson are also available, but are probably too risky given the cap hit and term left on their contracts.

Markstrom makes the most sense, given his presumed availability and likely acquisition cost. Saros most likely stays with Nashville, I don't think they trade Askarov yet and Ullmark probably requires a good return and long-term extension. Not certain that he wants to leave Boston just yet either and with a 15-team no trade list he could easily work the list to make himself untradeable and walk himself to UFA next offseason. I don't know enough about his personal situation to know if he'd be open for a trade this offseason or not. Worse case, NJ case sign someone to split time with Allen - maybe go after a Stolarz, Brossoit or bring back Kahkonen. Not ideal and I think a Markstrom trade is much more likely, but would still be a massive improvement over what they had last season in goal.

I think the Devils feel that one of the young goalies in Schmid, Daws, Malek & Poulter will hit. Schmid and Daws have both had flashes at the NHL level, with Schmid having the highest peak thus far. He has a .921 SV% and 2.35 GAA across 9 playoff games - 6 of which he posted a .917 SV% or better and 3 of which he played poorly. He was also .922 / 2.62 the prior season across 18 regular season games. Small sample size overall and he most definitely took a step back last season, but he can split time with Daws this year in the AHL before both have to pass through waivers the following season. Malek just turned 22 and has played very well in Finland where he'll spend another season before likely coming over to the US. Poulter came out of nowhere this season and has been phenomenal between the AHL and ECHL. All 4 guys are between 22-24 years old, so one of them most likely at least slots in as a backup the '25-'26 season. Can't rely on Schmid or Daws to be part of a rotation next season, but it wouldn't be out of the realm for one of them to do well if called upon.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Devils 10th overall and Holtz to the Flames for Markstrom, Mangiapane and Andersson

Devils get their #1 goalie and boost their blueline.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Why are the devils targeting markstrom when there are better goalies available

Who are they though?

Saros by all accounts is staying in Nashville. Sure, he'd be the guy to target but would also by far the most costly to acquire.

Ullmark may be better but it's certainly debatable as he's never really been "the guy" for any extended period of time and his playoff resume is atrocious. He also has heavy control over where he goes, and only 1 year left. He has stated his love for playing in Boston many times.

Markstrom showed last year that he's still very much capable of playing at an elite level. He was deep in the Vezina conversation for 75% of the season, and his game only went into the gutter after the team sold off and he himself was told he was traded. He has also shown a willingness to go to NJ, which can't be said for the others. The two years remaining on Markstroms deal is likely viewed as a good thing for NJ's managerial team, as the long term risks that would need to be taken with Ullmark and Saros (long term extensions at high numbers) would be mitigated.

It's easy to see why NJ has such an interest in the player - but the two sides just can't seem to find common ground on the players value and or retention aspect.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils 10th overall and Holtz to the Flames for Markstrom, Mangiapane and Andersson

Devils get their #1 goalie and boost their blueline.
Devils don't need another undersized winger, and if they got Andersson they'd have to move out either Hamilton or Marino to make room for him. It's just not going to happen.

Oh, and Calgary declines.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
That would be the Predators adding.
I doubt it, its a weak draft,

He's a top 5 goaltender in the world lots of teams need legit goaltending there is going to be a bidding war for him, I can see something like Saros for NJ 10 OVA + Holtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad