News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The New Jersey Devils are a great hockey team, this team has been getting absolutely suffocated by the lack of a good goaltender, they are close, and if they are not willing to make a gamble on a legitimate guy, because they’re worried about futures, or a top prospect, they’re gonna go in circles.

And I’m not talking about Vancouver’s guy, I’m talking about any goalie that is potentially available that could turn that team into a legitimate contender, that’s how high I am on them.
But no goalie is a guarantee of anything.

Look at Thatcher Demko. In 22-23 he was injured and even when he played had a negative GSAx.

Or let's look at markstrom. He's had 2 great years out of his last 4. The other 2 (20-21 and 22-23) his high cap hit coupled with his below average play was a big reason why a pair of very good calgary teams missed the playoffs.

Or even if you get there. Hellebuyuck shit the bed, Demko got hurt.

There is 1 goalie in the NHL that you could legitimately trust to provide both a great regular season and a great playoffs next year. And that's Igor. Every other goalie in the league has significant question marks, whether it's salary, health, playoffs, inconsistency, age.

Swayman is about as close as you can get behind him, and those are the only 2 goalies to put up back to back quality regular seasons and playoffs. But as small as the questions are, he's still never handled a true starter, every second night workload for a season.

Here is the list of goalies to put up 10 GSAx in back to back seasons (this is about top 20-25 range)

Igor
Swayman
Hellebuyuck
Ullmark
Montembault
Skinner

Not Vasy, not Demko, not markstrom, not saros, sorokin, oettinger.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Again, which realistic guy is that?
Because a lot of devil’s fans are throwing insults, without any actual suggestions.

I mean, if the team is willing to sign Saros, I'd definitely have them in play for him, but otherwise there aren't any available if we are being honest.

Which I think is why nobody really wants to break the bank for one of these other very flawed guys. And it's okay to admit they're flawed. They are. And when you get into those guys that are largely above average, that tier of guys gets very, very nebulous.

It's a fans mindset because it's not their job on the line. Fans can always "take the risk" of the upside. Like me? I think it's kind of dumb to go all out and move #10 for a 34 year old Markstrom. Why wouldn't I just go and try to get Gustavsson? He's cheaper, he's younger, he doesn't cost nearly as much in trade, and over the last two years he's had a really good year and a really bad year just like Markstrom. As a fan, this is a no brainer. Markstrom gives me a consistently higher floor, I think. But I'm a fan, I'm not about that "floor" noise. Give me the one year wonder who has all those positives mentioned earlier and may ball out and give me a .920. Heck, he may even be more likely to than Markstrom! See, that's even more reasons not to! Of course, I'm not getting fired if Gustavsson flops which is why I said earlier in the thread that I doubt Fitz is looking that way.

If a fan thinks there's a reasonable shot that Markstrom is going to throw up an .892 again like he did 2 years ago, or a .904 like he did 4 years ago, why am I breaking the bank for that? Roll with Kahkonen, see what happens. Trade for Spencer Knight. Again, not my ass if it goes south lol

And that's just the little bit of a "break from reality" that being a fan comes with.

Now, for the most part, NHL GMs have kind of agreed with that when it comes to goalies. That's just true. 30+ year olds don't return #10 picks. Goalies, skaters, however you want. Doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, but it's an outlier for sure.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The New Jersey Devils are a great hockey team, this team has been getting absolutely suffocated by the lack of a good goaltender, they are close, and if they are not willing to make a gamble on a legitimate guy, because they’re worried about futures, or a top prospect, they’re gonna go in circles.

And I’m not talking about Vancouver’s guy, I’m talking about any goalie that is potentially available that could turn that team into a legitimate contender, that’s how high I am on them.

Trust me, I know how poor their goaltending has been. It was a dagger this year, but that wasn’t just it. Injuries were absolutely devastating. Hamilton, Hughes, Meier, Hischier, Siegenthaler all missed significant time. Hell, it turned out Vanecek was even injured enough to require surgery.

I don’t think any Devils fan is outright opposed to paying a premium for a goalie, but in the case of the realistic options: Markstrom, Ullmark, and Saros…Markstrom is the most realistic option. He’s turning 35 in January. He also finished the year without posting a single game above .900 in the last 10 games. I think you can understand the hesitation involving an asset like the 10OA pick in a deal for him. Ullmark has a 16 team NTC, and Saros might just get extended at the end of the day. It would be great to get a bonafide #1, but the options are limited and overpaying out of desperation is poor asset management.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Got to be 10OA for Markstrom. Devils need an elite goalie and Calgary needs high picks for their rebuild. Devils can’t afford another bad year like the last one. Marky helps Calgary win too many games. Without him they draft top five.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Got to be 10OA for Markstrom. Devils need an elite goalie and Calgary needs high picks for their rebuild. Devils can’t afford another bad year like the last one. Marky helps Calgary win too many games. Without him they draft top five.
And if markstrom shits the bed like he did in 22-23 or 20-21?

Calgary fans pretending that a 35 year old markstrom is this lock it in guarantee of great goaltending because he had a good 30 games (yes, 30 games, he was not good post all star game).

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Markstrom is not worth a top 10 draft pick. Even a retained Markstrom isn't worth that.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
For an extended Saros or Ullmark, I would reluctantly trade Mercer.

Mercer is due for a salary raise and I think it would be hard to keep him and pay a top goalie.

I do think that ullmark makes a far more interesting July 1 target because I think he'd be more available to waiving his no trade for teams that are ready and able to extend him right away. It seems like stability is a big deal for him.

An extension with a 3 year full no move will probably make him interested

That said, there's really no drive to trade Mercer. A bridge deal would be relatively small. I'd wager less than 4. So money isn't a reason to move him most likely. He could just be a "hockey trade" that makes sense

Last edited:

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
Markstrom while good isn't elite and no 34 yr old goalie goes for a top 10 pick
I mean... In 2/3 previous seasons he's put up 10+ expected goals saved against, so he's been very good to say the least.

I could see a Markstrom + 28OA for the 10OA, picks would change in case of retention.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I mean... In 2/3 previous seasons he's put up 10+ expected goals saved against, so he's been very good to say the least.

I could see a Markstrom + 28OA for the 10OA, picks would change in case of retention.
Weird way to say he's been bad in 2 out of the last 4 years and is now entering his age 35 season.

Markstrom is simply MUCH closer to Fleury to Chicago than he is Schneider to NJD

Reactions: Smitty426

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Not necessarily for the #10 pick but Binnington could be an option. Reunite with Jake Allen and thats a very solid tandem for NJ

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Can't wait for this guy to become Markstrom's biggest fan boy in a few days....
That happens in your dreams.

welcome-to-real-life-spaceballs.gif

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
I think the bar to reach for the Devils at goalie, is competent. We don't need a goalie to save 30 goals above expected. We need a goalie that saves as expected. Our young defenders are going to be improved. Of course an elite goaltender helps, but let's face it, nobody is letting an elite go at this time. Markstrom works in the short term. If he costs a 2nd and a prospect it's worth it.

• Soros is too expensive to resign and to trade for.
  • Filip Gustavsson maybe? Is he elite? No, competent.. better than Vitkek.
  • Ulmark is in conference and likely to command a bigger return.

I think the Devils stick with competent and use #10 to trade for a winger and a supporting piece. Or they make the pick.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I have not seen anyone else refer to this as a weak draft and there are going to be some good prospects at that 10 spot. The top of the draft might be a little weaker than past, but the top 11-12 prospects are solid.

The mid to late first has been regarded as weaker. But five years from now, who knows how it turns out, of course.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Draft Nygard a few spots earlier than expected (unless one of the top LHD fall to us), let him push for a spot in camp. Look to trade our 2025 1st for a G (top 7-10 protected), Get a couple of good forechecking solid bottom roster guys and lets go!

Reactions: BHD

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I don’t think a 2025 2nd + prospect (unless it’s Casey) moves the needle at all for the Flames. Like, I feel that’s very wishful thinking. If the Devils aren’t willing to do 10 for Markstrom + 28 you’d have to either add retention to get it done, or pivot to a Toronto, Detroit, etc. to see if they’d do the same deal for a lower 1st round pick.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
With Rogalski staying on as goaltending coach the Devils should not waste any assets on acquiring anyone at that position. Need to bring in more offensive firepower and try to win 9-8.

This was posted on Calgarypuck, lmfao.

Markstrom (50% retained) to New Jersey for 10th overall + Palat + 42nd overall

Palat ain't waiving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad