News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I really hope the Flames are in on this, getting Tij Iginla and one of the D would be huge.

Make a package.

I am sure in 16 pages it has been discussed (I am too lazy to look) but its 2 different statements. Tom Fitzgerald has said:
"If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I'm listening," New Jersey general manager Tom Fitzgerald told NHL.com on Monday during a break from interviews at the NHL Scouting Combine. "I haven't gotten anything yet but the more I talk to teams, I say 'Listen, I'm open to moving No. 10, but it's going to have to be something (significant).'"

And then he said:
"I'm in the goalie market talking to teams, but there's a 'but' and the 'but' is how do we want to build our team?" Fitzgerald said. "We'd like to add up front, we'd like to add on the back end, so what are those pieces going to cost us. With the goaltending, what's that going to cost us?

"Does the No. 10 pick get you that type of player that you can add to the group. It's easy to say, 'Go get so-and-so and then you build from there.' But there are some guys who have different contracts so how are those players going to reprice at. There's a lot to it, but, yes, the focus is on finding that goaltender."

He DOES not say our 10 OA for a G anywhere. Yes its 1 press conference, but its two statements people!

I read it as Swayman! Now doesn't that sound stupid? Of course it does, but no less stupid than Markstrom for 10OA (even with retention)!

Reactions: Xirik and Mrfenn92

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Between Markstrom and Ullmark, it has to be Ullmark. He's younger and better - and Fitzy seems really serious about getting the RIGHT goalie.

My question is - with a goalie...is NJD a contender? Will Dougie be back to 100% in 2024-25?
Will we see a bounce back from Meier?

Or does NJD need to make other moves to get where they need to be. They are really light in the middle. Could they use a beefier 3 and 4C?
They still need topish D. Nemec and Luke are GOING to be great but not next year. Try and pry away McNabb in Vegas!

10th overall should be more than enough for a goalie on an expiring contract. Goalies just dont have the same value as people seem to think.

This deal makes sense.

With Askarov coming and Saros without a contract. A small goalie who relies on athleticism, who's next contract takes him into his mid to late 30's. You are crazy not to take it. Especially in a draft where after #1 its realistic the order of the next 10 players could literally be anything. There's a drop off at 12 in my opinion.
Next years first sure. Keep the pick

Reactions: theguybro

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Got to be 10OA for Markstrom. Devils need an elite goalie and Calgary needs high picks for their rebuild. Devils can’t afford another bad year like the last one. Marky helps Calgary win too many games. Without him they draft top five.
stop

Reactions: DJB

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
  • Ulmark is in conference and likely to command a bigger return.

Still, with Swayman about to get paid, Boston is a motivated seller to not have $5mil dedicated to their backup goalie who they wouldn’t play in a playoff game. And Ullmark’s no-trade list is reportedly more about ‘stay on the east coast’ more than anything so Boston doesn’t really have the luxury of insisting on trading out of conference.

Reactions: Xirik

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They still need topish D. Nemec and Luke are GOING to be great but not next year. Try and pry away McNabb in Vegas!

Next years first sure. Keep the pick
Well you're not getting him for next years first. So continue with a talented team wasting another season with horrible goaltending I guess.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Well you're not getting him for next years first. So continue with a talented team wasting another season with horrible goaltending I guess.
We got rid of the horrible goaltending thanks. The 18 and 19 yr old rookie defenders got thrown into the fire to play top D minutes in some instances (they will be better by default). The 77 point #1 RD was lost for 85% of the season. His LHD partner played most of the season with a broken feet...twice. The lose of 2 2nd and 3rd pairing vet D men to FA agency didn't help, but yes it's only goaltending. Stop acting like you know why are team had the season they did. It was what it was. Our GM has made plenty of fine moves, he'll do so again, but not by giving away assets without thinking.

Reactions: My3Sons

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We got rid of the horrible goaltending thanks. The 18 and 19 yr old rookie defenders got thrown into the fire to play top D minutes in some instances (they will be better by default). The 77 point #1 RD was lost for 85% of the season. His LHD partner played most of the season with a broken feet...twice. The lose of 2 2nd and 3rd pairing vet D men to FA agency didn't help, but yes it's only goaltending. Stop acting like you know why are team had the season they did. It was what it was. Our GM has made plenty of fine moves, he'll do so again, but not by giving away assets without thinking.
Saros is a 27 year old vezina finalist. Are you new? There's plenty of reasons why New Jersey struggled. It's not a giant mystery. Many I doubt you'd want to admit. But at the forefront it's goaltending which is a much more simple fix than the other issues.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I think the Hawks and NJ could make interesting trading partners as the Hawks would like to move up from #18, have a few pieces I suspect the Devils would have some interest in Kurashev, Donato, Mrazek (1/2 retained), #18, 34, 50, 67, & 72.

Mrazek as a 1B might not be a flashy big name G upgrade, but he had a great season with a crap defensive team in front of him and paired with Allen should solidify the position and leave cap to make a splash for a forward.

Mrazek (1/2 retained) +18 +50 for #10 which would be the net of Mrazek for 2 years @ 2.125 per for a late 2nd (#58) and still leave the Devils with a mid 1st and backfill the 2nd they don't have.

If the Devils were interested in Kurashev to form some type of super Swiss line, I could see the Hawks reluctantly including him with one of Casey, Holtz, or Mercer (not really sure how Holtz or Mercer are valued by Devils fans) going back and some tweaking of picks. Likewise Donato would be a useful depth piece that could be used to balance things.

In the end I would guess the Devils aim higher for their upgrade in net and the Hawks would probably prefer to hang on to Mrazek and or Kurashev as it would be a major step backwards when they are trying to move forward incrementally. Maybe there is some intermediate straight picks step like #10, for #18, #34, + NYR '25 4th that gives the Devils a more realistic pick (G simply don;t return #10 picks) in #18 to move for G and still be left with draft capital.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Saros is a 27 year old vezina finalist. Are you new? There's plenty of reasons why New Jersey struggled. It's not a giant mystery. Many I doubt you'd want to admit. But at the forefront it's goaltending which is a much more simple fix than the other issues.
I said nothing about Saros not being a good G or his age, not sure what that is. Not new at all actually I'm old! Apparently is is a mystery to non-NJ fans! No one is saying that G was bad last year but it was also bad for ALL of what I mentioned. Not forefront, maybe yours, but any smart fan of NJ knows better than the paragraph a Ray Ferraro type gets handed for talking points on a broadcast of whats wrong! How is having an 18 and 19 yr old thrown into 2nd and sometime 1st paring minutes anything but a disaster? Are YOU new? We have a shit-ton of issues no doubt. Saros on this team last year at the end does not drag us into the playoffs with the D we iced. And for fun what is the return for Saros look like in your eyes?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
What goalie is worth a top 10 pick?
I'm not seeing it.

36-yr old Dwayne Roloson was traded for 17th overall and a 3rd in 2006.
33-yr old Ryan Miller was traded for 25th overall, a 3rd, Halak, Stewart, and Carrier. Ott also went the other way in 2016.

I think that's about it in recent history.

Devils would be better off trading down before using a 1st rounder on a goaltender.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary could really solve some heartache for Jersey here.

They have a top half starter that's looking for a new home.
They have a bunch of these middle six veteran types that'd be excellent pieces in Jersey.
They have cap space to burn to either hold money or take a contract back.
They have a second first round pick if the Devils don't want to get out of the first round.

Reactions: HitterD

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not seeing it.

33-yr old Ryan Miller was traded for 25th overall, a 3rd, Halak, Stewart, and Carrier. Ott also went the other way in 2016.

Devils would be better off trading down before using a 1st rounder on a goaltender.

Devils traded the 9th overall pick for Cory Schneider in 2013

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think the Hawks and NJ could make interesting trading partners as the Hawks would like to move up from #18, have a few pieces I suspect the Devils would have some interest in Kurashev, Donato, Mrazek (1/2 retained), #18, 34, 50, 67, & 72.

Mrazek as a 1B might not be a flashy big name G upgrade, but he had a great season with a crap defensive team in front of him and paired with Allen should solidify the position and leave cap to make a splash for a forward.

Mrazek (1/2 retained) +18 +50 for #10 which would be the net of Mrazek for 2 years @ 2.125 per for a late 2nd (#58) and still leave the Devils with a mid 1st and backfill the 2nd they don't have.

If the Devils were interested in Kurashev to form some type of super Swiss line, I could see the Hawks reluctantly including him with one of Casey, Holtz, or Mercer (not really sure how Holtz or Mercer are valued by Devils fans) going back and some tweaking of picks. Likewise Donato would be a useful depth piece that could be used to balance things.

In the end I would guess the Devils aim higher for their upgrade in net and the Hawks would probably prefer to hang on to Mrazek and or Kurashev as it would be a major step backwards when they are trying to move forward incrementally. Maybe there is some intermediate straight picks step like #10, for #18, #34, + NYR '25 4th that gives the Devils a more realistic pick (G simply don;t return #10 picks) in #18 to move for G and still be left with draft capital.

with all due respect,,,,

absolutely not.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Why is this thread labeled as "news" and not "speculation"?

The Devils "may" do something is just as possible as they "may not" do anything.

Somewhere in heaven my old journalism professor Herb Jackson is grimacing.

Words like might, may, or can were never "news ".

• Love
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

The Devils "may" do something is just as possible as they "may not" do anything.

...because the General Manager of the team directly said so?

The phrases "open to" and "looking for" also suggest that something may or may not happen.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

The Rangers fan in disguise doesn’t like this thread.

1718282385040.gif

Reactions: HBK27

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm not seeing it.

Cory Schneider to NJ and 8th OA to Van which became Bo Horvat is most recent

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I am sure in 16 pages it has been discussed (I am too lazy to look) but its 2 different statements. Tom Fitzgerald has said:
"If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I'm listening," New Jersey general manager Tom Fitzgerald told NHL.com on Monday during a break from interviews at the NHL Scouting Combine. "I haven't gotten anything yet but the more I talk to teams, I say 'Listen, I'm open to moving No. 10, but it's going to have to be something (significant).'"

And then he said:
"I'm in the goalie market talking to teams, but there's a 'but' and the 'but' is how do we want to build our team?" Fitzgerald said. "We'd like to add up front, we'd like to add on the back end, so what are those pieces going to cost us. With the goaltending, what's that going to cost us?

"Does the No. 10 pick get you that type of player that you can add to the group. It's easy to say, 'Go get so-and-so and then you build from there.' But there are some guys who have different contracts so how are those players going to reprice at. There's a lot to it, but, yes, the focus is on finding that goaltender."

He DOES not say our 10 OA for a G anywhere. Yes its 1 press conference, but its two statements people!

I read it as Swayman! Now doesn't that sound stupid? Of course it does, but no less stupid than Markstrom for 10OA (even with retention)!
Do they really need to add up front though? If they do, I think it's a lot easier to add up front via the free agent market than find a goalie upgrade in free agency.

Or maybe you do you use that 10ov for a goalie AND a young forward.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Cory Schneider to NJ and 8th OA to Van which became Bo Horvat is most recent

Was actually 9th overall and Schneider was still just 27 years old with 2 years remaining on his contract at $4M per season with ridiculously good stats (albeit with less than 100 NHL games under his belt) - putting up at least a .927 SV% in each of his 3 full seasons in Vancouver.

1718290355044.png

Schneider in 2013 held significantly more value that a 34-year old Markstrom holds today.

Good value trade for NJ at the time, though they should've been focused on a full rebuild.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad