News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm sure Merzlikins and Gibson are also available, but are probably too risky given the cap hit and term left on their contracts.

Markstrom makes the most sense, given his presumed availability and likely acquisition cost. Saros most likely stays with Nashville, I don't think they trade Askarov yet and Ullmark probably requires a good return and long-term extension. Not certain that he wants to leave Boston just yet either and with a 15-team no trade list he could easily work the list to make himself untradeable and walk himself to UFA next offseason. I don't know enough about his personal situation to know if he'd be open for a trade this offseason or not. Worse case, NJ case sign someone to split time with Allen - maybe go after a Stolarz, Brossoit or bring back Kahkonen. Not ideal and I think a Markstrom trade is much more likely, but would still be a massive improvement over what they had last season in goal.

I think the Devils feel that one of the young goalies in Schmid, Daws, Malek & Poulter will hit. Schmid and Daws have both had flashes at the NHL level, with Schmid having the highest peak thus far. He has a .921 SV% and 2.35 GAA across 9 playoff games - 6 of which he posted a .917 SV% or better and 3 of which he played poorly. He was also .922 / 2.62 the prior season across 18 regular season games. Small sample size overall and he most definitely took a step back last season, but he can split time with Daws this year in the AHL before both have to pass through waivers the following season. Malek just turned 22 and has played very well in Finland where he'll spend another season before likely coming over to the US. Poulter came out of nowhere this season and has been phenomenal between the AHL and ECHL. All 4 guys are between 22-24 years old, so one of them most likely at leas t slots in as a backup the '25-'26 season. Can't rely on Schmid or Daws to be part of a rotation next season, but it wouldn't be out of the realm for one of them to do well if called upon.
I think this is why Markstrom is considered. He and Allen split with AS/ND getting a couple. Allen departs, one of those 2 get 1B for the next year. 3rd yr its that 1B + one of the pother young guys in the system. The young guys are seasoned more and not caving in our Gs and then we compete with a mature group

I doubt it, its a weak draft,

He's a top 5 goaltender in the world lots of teams need legit goaltending there is going to be a bidding war for him, I can see something like Saros for NJ 10 OVA + Holtz
After 10 yeah it trails off but Fitz should not trade this unless its in a pkg for Swayman

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

He's a top 5 goaltender in the world lots of teams need legit goaltending there is going to be a bidding war for him, I can see something like Saros for NJ 10 OVA + Holtz
A pending UFA G is not getting a top 10 pick.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

How do we know if it’s a weak or strong draft?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I have not seen anyone else refer to this as a weak draft and there are going to be some good prospects at that 10 spot. The top of the draft might be a little weaker than past, but the top 11-12 prospects are solid.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I highly doubt Saros even comes available.
He should be, they have Ashkarov, if they were smart they'd ship Saros out for a haul, if there not going to rebuild the preds need to utilize asset management better get what they can for older players to keep the farm stocked through prospects. Undersized athletic goalies dont age well a lot of the time

A pending UFA G is not getting a top 10 pick.
If the bidding gets high enough I could see it happening

I have not seen anyone else refer to this as a weak draft and there are going to be some good prospects at that 10 spot. The top of the draft might be a little weaker than past, but the top 11-12 prospects are solid.
To me this seems like a weak draft well see though, no one outside of the top 2 stands out to me, and most of the top ten picks have question marks about them.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Andersson probably gets a pick that isn't far off from 10 on his own, I think.
Markstrom and Mangiapane at 12 million dollars however isn't exactly appealing. I think I'd offer future considerations for the pair.

• Haha
Reactions: LynnLoins

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Markstrom has positive value.

Mangiapine is a rental with nominal positive value at the deadline most likely.

These guys aren't decreasing the value on Andersson . They just make that trade impossible for just about every team from a financial standing. But independently, none of them is a negative

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Markstrom has positive value.

Mangiapine is a rental with nominal positive value at the deadline most likely.

These guys aren't decreasing the value on Andersson . They just make that trade impossible for just about every team from a financial standing. But independently, none of them is a negative
Mangiapane retained at the deadline has some positive value yes. But he costs 2.9 mill in cap and 500k in real money
Mangiapane unretained in the offseason is a cap dump. That's 5.8 mill in cap and in real money.

You could do better in UFA for 12 mill than Mangiapane and Markstrom.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He should be, they have Ashkarov, if they were smart they'd ship Saros out for a haul, if there not going to rebuild the preds need to utilize asset management better get what they can for older players to keep the farm stocked through prospects. Undersized athletic goalies dont age well a lot of the time

To me this seems like a weak draft well see though, no one outside of the top 2 stands out to me, and most of the top ten picks have question marks about them.
They were a playoff team. Why would they ship off a top 5 goalie when their prospect is 21 and has had middling AHL numbers? That's how you end up like Buffalo or the Senators.

Mangiapane retained at the deadline has some positive value yes. But he costs 2.9 mill in cap and 500k in real money
Mangiapane unretained in the offseason is a cap dump. That's 5.8 mill in cap and in real money.

I agree with you FWIW. Mangiapane will have value at the TDL at 50%. He has none right now. He's a defensive wizard, but for 5.8M you want 20-25 goals, not 15-20. I don't think you're doing better than Markstrom in free agency, so I disagree pretty strongly with you there. Talbot and Gustafsson are the cream of the crop and they are middling goalies in a platoon at best.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Legitimately, what exactly are New Jersey Devils fans willing to part with outside of the draft pick to get a top goalie?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

The Predators are a veteran team with one of the top goalies in the league still in his prime. They had a very good 2nd half last year that propelled them to the playoffs.

Askarov is not ready to jump in and be the starter - would make no sense for the franchise to take a step back next season with sub-par goaltending when you have a rare top goalie in the league that wants to stay there. As long as his contract demands aren't outlandish, I think the two sides come together on an extension.

They also have 12 1st-3rd round picks over the next two drafts (thanks Tampa!) that can keep the farm stocked or be used in trades. Yes, a #10 would be very helpful but the way their roster is currently constructed they are in a win now mode. Trading the backbone of your team for a prospect that likely won't contribute much for a few seasons doesn't make much sense.

As for the draft, prospects outside the top picks always have question marks. I've done a decent amount of research given the Devils pick and have not come across anyone calling it weak. Seems like an average class. Personally, I really hope the Devils keep the pick as there are a number of players I like that realistically will be there.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
The offer came from your side. We’re just laughing at it.
You can laugh about it all you want, but it sure sounds like a lot of devils fans want to get a top end goalie, but without actually giving up anything significant of real value.

Some not even willing to give up the 10th pick in arguably the weakest draft by some scouts saying in the last decade.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You can laugh about it all you want, but it sure sounds like a lot of devils fans want to get a top end goalie, but without actually giving up anything significant of real value.

Some not even willing to give up the 10th pick in arguably the weakest draft by some scouts saying in the last decade.
Pretty much. Every goalie is either too old, going to get paid too much, plays on a good team etc. They want a 23 year old elite starter on a good contract for a protected 25 first.
It’s almost like teams want to keep their own player at the most important position in the game.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The Devils GM has said this every single year during the draft and nothing comes from it. He's just gifting a writer an easy article and saying to the rest of the NHL to blow his mind if they want the pick.

Guess what? nobody ever does and he makes the pick.

This is why this story is a big nothing burger on the Devils board and ignorant outsiders clamor around talking about it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Oh duh, you were using that because that was the trade proposed lol. My bad. Yeah. Mangiapine right now would be a dump with no retention

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They were a playoff team. Why would they ship off a top 5 goalie when their prospect is 21 and has had middling AHL numbers? That's how you end up like Buffalo or the Senators.

I agree with you FWIW. Mangiapane will have value at the TDL at 50%. He has none right now. He's a defensive wizard, but for 5.8M you want 20-25 goals, not 15-20. I don't think you're doing better than Markstrom in free agency, so I disagree pretty strongly with you there. Talbot and Gustafsson are the cream of the crop and they are middling goalies in a platoon at best.
Oh I don't think you could do better than markstrom individually in UFA.

I meant that with 12 million AAV in UFA, i think you could come up with a better pair, or better value than Markstrom and Mangiapane

Eg: guentzel (9.5)+2.5 mill goalie
Eg: skjei (6)+foegele (3.5)+3.5 mill goalie

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

Do you honestly believe that Demko for Luke Hughes is a fair trade or do you believe that if you trick Devils fans on a hockey forum into believing it’s a good trade it might actually happen?
Pretty much. Every goalie is either too old, going to get paid too much, plays on a good team etc. They want a 23 year old elite starter on a good contract for a protected 25 first.
It’s almost like teams want to keep their own player at the most important position in the game.
Doesn’t it make sense that a fanbase of a team that’s window is just starting to open would prefer to try for a younger goalie? We’re just going to be doing this again in a couple of years unless one of the younger goalies in the system step up.

You guys keep saying we want a good goalie, which is absolutely true, but that we don’t want to give up anything significant for it. The problem is what’s being asked for in a lot of these proposals is not fair value so you’re going to see a lot of negative responses.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

if you want a serious discussion, don't start with a troll offer.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

It's not that hard to understand, 10oa or Mercer would be available for the right guy, Holtz plus future picks plus every prospect that isn't name Hughes or Nemec would be available.

People just can't seem to understand that just because they want a goalie, doesn't mean they're going to go crazy and trade core pieces.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
It's not that hard to understand, 10oa or Mercer would be available for the right guy, Holtz plus future picks plus every prospect that isn't name Hughes or Nemec would be available.

People just can't seem to understand that just because they want a goalie, doesn't mean they're going to go crazy and trade core pieces.
Again, which realistic guy is that?
Because a lot of devil’s fans are throwing insults, without any actual suggestions.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Because a lot of devil’s fans are throwing insults, without any actual suggestions.

No one realistically available is “that” guy. That’s the point. They’re not going to overpay just because. If they can’t get someone without getting absolutely bent over, ohh well. They’ll roll with Allen and resign Kahkonen.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
No one realistically available is “that” guy. That’s the point. They’re not going to overpay just because. If they can’t get someone without getting absolutely bent over, ohh well. They’ll roll with Allen and resign Kahkonen.
The New Jersey Devils are a great hockey team, this team has been getting absolutely suffocated by the lack of a good goaltender, they are close, and if they are not willing to make a gamble on a legitimate guy, because they’re worried about futures, or a top prospect, they’re gonna go in circles.

And I’m not talking about Vancouver’s guy, I’m talking about any goalie that is potentially available that could turn that team into a legitimate contender, that’s how high I am on them.

Reactions: Bone Density

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Markstrom for Holtz, prospects or 2025 1st
Ullmark 1-1 for almost any of the listed assuming he's open to signing
Gibson for prospect or non 1st round picks
Saros for a combination of any of the mentioned pieces assuming he's open to signing
Gustavsson for prospect or non 1st round pick

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Markstrom for Holtz, prospects or 2025 1st
Ullmark 1-1 for almost any of the listed assuming he's open to signing
Gibson for prospect or non 1st round picks
Saros for a combination of any of the mentioned pieces assuming he's open to signing
Gustavsson for prospect or non 1st round pick
There’s no way Boston would do that.
I think the deal would get done for Markstrom, I guess that’s not the worst solution for New Jersey, but I really like Holtz.

I do appreciate you answering the question

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad