Post-Game Talk: Devils drop another one - lose 3-1 to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Really thought the game turned when Larsson broke his stick. Thought we played really well till then, and then just started giving up mad rushes.

But need to find a way to score some more goals.

Not in panic mode by any stretch, but this run only reinforces my preseason belief that a trade involving a couple of defensemen both young and old, for a fwd is in the cards.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pavelec, and Nabokov aren't bad goalies. They're just on HORRIBLE defensive teams. Holtby isn't that great as we saw last night, and Bishop is just 8 foot tall, and pucks just hit him. The Devils make horrible defenses look like the 95 Devils though.

The Devils have been known to make horrible goalies look great though regardless. I'm sure we'll find a way to give Mr 3 GAA himself Ryan Miller a nice 1 GAA/967 save percentage though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's also who they're losing to that's the problem. You can't count on always beating the good teams, the way the Devils were early in the year. So when you always lose to the mediocre-bad teams there goes your cushion.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well there's nothing we can do now with Carter out, but why is CBGB the 3rd line this year? We NEED to roll 4 lines with all the scoring we lost last year. Like I said we were dead middle in the league in scoring last year. That was with three 30+ goal scorers, and two top 10 scorers in the league.

Because JJ couldn't turn it on, Zubs got hurt, and Pete keeps playing a goon. But it hasn't hurt us much since we were winning with them and scoring. Them being the 3rd line in the regular season is not the reason we are losing. Come on you know why we have been losing.

PK was terrible, PP stopped scoring any goals, and the merry-go-round of D left us getting coned constantly. Goaltending got soft, Henrique, Elias, Clarkson, and Zajac can't find the net.

Even if we were rolling 4 lines right now it wouldn't change the fact all our best players are slumping and our D has been giving up to many chances during this slump on top of the PK being terrible.

Most of that was better tonight, but we need to bury one of those breakaways and one of those goals need to be saved. Nothing to do with CBGB (who did not play today) being a third line.

We definitely miss Zubs and Marty right now though.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's also who they're losing to that's the problem. You can't count on always beating the good teams, the way the Devils were early in the year. So when you always lose to the mediocre-bad teams there goes your cushion.

The Devils don't show up to play the lesser teams, and that's why they get blown out by the Isles, and Caps. I won't say they didn't show up tonight. They played fantastic for 58 minutes, and on most nights that's good enough to win. However I'm sure they'd like the first 8 seconds back.

I really expect if Clarkson walks this Summer he will be replaced by Tedenbust version 4.0, or some bargain bin replacement like Butler. I like Butler too, so I hate to rip on him, but it's the truth. This is what management showed me last year. I don't expect this year to be any different.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
The Devils don't show up to play the lesser teams, and that's why they get blown out by the Isles, and Caps. I won't say they didn't show up tonight. They played fantastic for 58 minutes, and on most nights that's good enough to win. However I'm sure they'd like the first 8 seconds back.

I really expect if Clarkson walks this Summer he will be replace by Tedenbust version 4.0, or some bargain bin replacement like Butler. I like Butler too, so I hate to rip on him, but it's the truth.

Matteau.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
They need to bury some of these glorious chances. They were doing it earlier this year. Now everyone is snake bitten, seems every chance the opposition gets they score.

Not getting those timely saves or goals anymore, they are real momentum/game changers.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

devils have laid too many eggs against these southeast division teams so far

1-1-1 washington
jets 0-2
tampa 1-0
carolina 0-1

and i am already cringing about florida.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because JJ couldn't turn it on, Zubs got hurt, and Pete keeps playing a goon. But it hasn't hurt us much since we were winning with them and scoring. Them being the 3rd line in the regular season is not the reason we are losing. Come on you know why we have been losing.

PK was terrible, PP stopped scoring any goals, and the merry-go-round of D left us getting coned constantly. Goaltending got soft, Henrique, Elias, Clarkson, and Zajac can't find the net.

Even if we were rolling 4 lines right now it wouldn't change the fact all our best players are slumping and our D has been giving up to many chances during this slump on top of the PK being terrible.

Most of that was better tonight, but we need to bury one of those breakaways and one of those goals need to be saved. Nothing to do with CBGB (who did not play today) being a third line.

We definitely miss Zubs and Marty right now though.
You're absolutely right on everything Eddy, but if the 4th line was our 3rd line we'd be a lot better I think. It's really hurting us in a game like this particular. The team played the most complete game they've played in 2 weeks tonight, but couldn't get more than 1 past Winnipeg.

This is a game where you look back, and think we really needed a legit Parise replacement. Didn't have to be Semin, but something decent.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hedberg still stops the puck okay though he's given up one or two softies on shots.

Thing is I think he's too caught up in trying to replicate Marty's skill set cause everyone knows how important Marty's puck-moving is for this defense. He just can't do it anywhere near as well and it gets him into trouble. Heck, it was the same thing two years ago when Moose allowed two goals off the boards inside a week cause he always had to roam.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Has anyone mentioned that Hedberg has looked his age ever since the boston game?

Well he did get a shutout after that against the Isles, and a pretty good game against Pittsburgh where he allowed just one goal.

Ever since the Tavares hat trick though he looks like Scott Clemmensen the 05-07 version.

It's unfair to blame this on him, but why does he need to pretend to be Marty? This is where we can use Marty to shut down the forecheck of the opposition. Well all you ''Hedberg deserves half the starts'' people are getting your wish.

Don't even ****in bring up save percentage either. Marty has significantly outplayed Hedberg this year.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Devils post-game audio

Devils-bench-2-wm-300x239.jpg

Audio from: Coach DeBoer, David Clarkson & Johan Hedberg.

To listen click here.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Well he did get a shutout after that against the Isles, and a pretty good game against Pittsburgh where he allowed just one goal.

Ever since the Tavares hat trick though he looks like Scott Clemmensen the 05-07 version.

It's unfair to blame this on him, but why does he need to pretend to be Marty? This is where we can use Marty to shut down the forecheck of the opposition. Well all you ''Hedberg deserves half the starts'' people are getting your wish.

Don't even ****in bring up save percentage either. Marty has significantly outplayed Hedberg this year.

He wasn't fantastic in the Pittsburgh game. He was fighting the puck a lot. The Hat trick was what opened the flood gates...

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Devils-bench-2-wm-300x239.jpg

Audio from: Coach DeBoer, David Clarkson & Johan Hedberg.

To listen click here.

Thanks for that! This is helpful for all the people who don't get the post game.

Also i would sit Salvador next game.
I would sit Zidlicky next game. Let's be serious here he sucked tonight. The PP isn't working anymore, so like sitting Volchenkov, there's no reason not to sit him.

Honestly though I wish we could just get somebody out so we don't always have to sit around talking about who we want out the next game. Just end this **** right now, and let's get some help up front. Luckily Tallinder looked a lot better tonight. That's one of the positives.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is it possible Zajac's feeling the pressure of the new contract?

I don't even want to get into the other alternative, which got me in trouble a couple years ago when I suggested if you'd never seen Zajac before you'd think he was a good third-line center. That's what he's playing like now.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is it possible Zajac's feeling the pressure of the new contract?

I don't even want to get into the other alternative, which got me in trouble a couple years ago when I suggested if you'd never seen Zajac before you'd think he was a good third-line center. That's what he's playing like now.
It is very possible for sure. He did look better with Patty though, but my real concern is not replacing Parise. After 20 games it's finally coming around. We were average on the scoreboard last year, and we lose him and replace him with bargain bin players, and guys who don't belong in the NHL or at least not on our NHL team.

Look at our bottom 6. Our 3rd line and below is made up of guys making close to league minimum.

And this 8 defensemen experiment. Enough is enough with it already. It sucks we have to talk about who should sit after every game. Get somebody the **** out seriously.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You're absolutely right on everything Eddy, but if the 4th line was our 3rd line we'd be a lot better I think. It's really hurting us in a game like this particular. The team played the most complete game they've played in 2 weeks tonight, but couldn't get more than 1 past Winnipeg.

This is a game where you look back, and think we really needed a legit Parise replacement. Didn't have to be Semin, but something decent.

But even then I don't think that changes anything tonight. Our only goal was from a forward that was not here last year, problem is again that all the guys who were and are still here didn't do squat.

Not saying Loki is a full Parise replacement, just the point being we are getting offense out of a new forward, but that doesn't help us is if everyone else isn't cashing in. Two, Three, Four lines doesn't matter if our big guys aren't being our big guys.

Look at the Canes game, we had the game tied up because of CBGB and Carter but the D got coned and our big guys not helping them out. Secondary scoring helps a lot, but you still need some of your big guys to score. Right now none of our big guys are scoring.

Still the chances looked better, which is a start, and the PK looked WORLDS better. Despite the chicken little attitude of some there is still time. Ya we are in 7th, but we are only 2 points out from 2nd with two games in hand. Also got games in hand on 6th and 8th.

It isn't Defcon 4 lets start looking at the draft yet, but we have these games in hand so we need to take advantage of them. Hopefully Saturday, but more likely when/if Marty returns on Monday. Carter's return either puts a better center on the 4th line over Sestito, or reunites CBGB and puts Poni on the other line which should deepen things. Still need the big boys to wake up though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lokti's basically replacing Zajac, or Henrique at this point lol

It does amuse me that people thought Lokti was done here when he admitted he didn't want to play wing. Then not a peep from the doomsayers after he said he didn't care how much he played or where he played after his first game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is the biggest concern for the team.

He and Kovy can't find chemistry and last couple of games, Elias and Clarkson have struggled with Zajac as their center.

Also i would sit Salvador next game.

Elias and Clarkson slowed down the last time Zajac centered them during the weekend of the Pitt blowout. They Pete switched Henrique back and those two woke back up then Henrique shut down too. We have two centers not playing well right now.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lokti's basically replacing Zajac, or Henrique at this point lol

That sounds about right. A move will have to be made sooner or later. I'm getting tired of ''This guy should sit next game, no he should sit next game, no that cone should sit next game''.

I'm not saying people shouldn't say that either cause I'm saying the same things too dammit! Now if we got someone out of here though we wouldn't need to do this after every game, and wondering who will or will not be in the lineup next game on D.

I'm willing to give up Urbom, and Burlon too in a package to get a forward. I consider those guys expendable when we got Merrill, Gelinas, Scarlett, Severson, Am I missing anybody yet?:laugh: And the hope that some of our veteran defensemen like Greene, and Fayne stick around. Fayne isn't really a veteran, but by that time he will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad