Post-Game Talk: Devils drop another one - lose 3-1 to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why on earth do you assume that Semin wanted to come here but didn't because Lou didn't make an offer? He probably never even gave NJ a sniff. These kind of statements are so ridiculous...

A) You would have needed at least $7.5 million.
B) We didn't have $7.5 million lying around in the offseason, at least not for Semin. Especially since that would have made him the second-highest paid Devil and give him the highest cap number.
C) Lou can be fairly criticized for doing nothing to address the lack of scoring even after the Semin situation played out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
On the other hand maybe it's the ownerships fault. Back in the day Lou would never let a star player walk, and not cover his ass with at least a decent replacement. Even though it usually wasn't as good, but it got us by. When Niedermayer left he made some bad signing with McGillis, and Matvichuk, and Malakhov. He didn't just try to promote David Hale though. When Martin left he went big, and signed Volchenkov, and Tallinder on 07/01/10.

Eh Lou tried to replace Mogilny with Dagenais and Salomonsson lol.

I think people assume Semin would have come here because of Kovy's presence. That may or may not be true, probably wouldn't have hurt.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's look at this right here. When was the last time Lou let a free agent walk without at least trying to replace them with a halfway decent replacement? He signed Volchenkov, and Tallinder after Martin left in 2010.

I wanna slag Lou on this, but it might not be fair. This could be something on the ownership. However it is on Lou for hording these defensemen. We can't even get a decent 3rd line for somebody? Then put CBGB back as the fourth?

Why is CBGB a 3rd line this year is another question worth asking.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well no doubt this team has enough firepower to score more than a goal a game against the Jets. No doubt about that.

However CBGB as the 3rd line is a no go. That's worn out it's welcome, that's really lost it's luster.

CBGB hasn't played together since we beat the Flyers, and they were creating chances when they were together. You can't blame things on them.

When your top guys keep shooting wide or making bad passes, and your PP can't convert at all you will lose. The End, and it doesn't help when Moose is making a gaffe per game. If you aren't scoring you need your D and goaltending to lift you and that isn't happening either.

Get Carter and Marty back, hope Henrique and Zajac break out and find their hands.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If they **** the bed and are out of the playoff picture at the end of the season, then maybe it makes sense to call them bums and all the lovely adjectives you folks love to pin on the team you call yourselves fans of.

But it's called adversity folks. It's what defines a team. Let's see how the team responds in the long-term before throwing them under the bus after every loss.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eh Lou tried to replace Mogilny with Dagenais and Salomonsson lol.

I think people assume Semin would have come here because of Kovy's presence. That may or may not be true.

Biggest difference to me back when Mogilny left though was we were the HIGHEST scoring team in the league by far the year before. Losing Mogilny who scored 40+ that year we still should have been in the top 5 or so. Though the year before Patty, and Sykie had career years that they didn't exactly live up to.

So letting Mogilny walk shouldn't have been a big loss. Now when we were FIFTEENTH in the league in scoring last year it's completely unacceptable to replace Parise with nothing.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
A) You would have needed at least $7.5 million.
B) We didn't have $7.5 million lying around in the offseason, at least not for Semin. Especially since that would have made him the second-highest paid Devil and give him the highest cap number.
C) Lou can be fairly criticized for doing nothing to address the lack of scoring even after the Semin situation played out.

A & B is speculation. I don't disagree with C.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I believe Henrique is experience what some call a "sophomore slump" so I dunno if I would pencil him in for too much this year.

Definitely need much more from Zajac.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If they **** the bed and are out of the playoff picture at the end of the season, then maybe it makes sense to call them bums and all the lovely adjectives you folks love to pin on the team you call yourselves fans of.

But it's called adversity folks. It's what defines a team. Let's see how the team responds in the long-term before throwing them under the bus after every loss.

We know they can respond to adversity, or at least the guys who were here last year. That's not the issue, the issue is TALENT. We lost fifty goals in the offseason and replaced them with the likes of Tedenby/Matteau/Butler, of course there's going to be a dropoff.

And there needs to be something done about this sooner rather than later, you can't risk getting in a free-for-all just to make the playoffs in a short season if you can help it.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012

Lets not get into the whole "how to be a fan argument".

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
CBGB hasn't played together since we beat the Flyers, and they were creating chances when they were together. You can't blame things on them.

When your top guys keep shooting wide or making bad passes, and your PP can't convert at all you will lose. The End, and it doesn't help when Moose is making a gaffe per game. If you aren't scoring you need your D and goaltending to lift you and that isn't happening either.

Get Carter and Marty back, hope Henrique and Zajac break out and find their hands.

Well there's nothing we can do now with Carter out, but why is CBGB the 3rd line this year? We NEED to roll 4 lines with all the scoring we lost last year. Like I said we were dead middle in the league in scoring last year. That was with three 30+ goal scorers, and two top 10 scorers in the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
A & B is speculation. I don't disagree with C.

You think Semin would have taken a discount to come? This is where the second-guessing goes off the rails. What evidence would ever suggest Semin would take less money? He waited around for weeks for a reason. He also keeps taking one-year deals for a reason.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
You can't trade out of a slump either, have to play better and dig out of this in house.

They improved tonight but definitely not a great showing either. Next 2 weeks will show where this team is. .500 hockey probably keeps them in the race. Subpar play will leave them out. A good stretch will probably ensure their survival.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We know they can respond to adversity, or at least the guys who were here last year. That's not the issue, the issue is TALENT. We lost fifty goals in the offseason and replaced them with the likes of Tedenby/Matteau/Butler, of course there's going to be a dropoff.

And there needs to be something done about this sooner rather than later, you can't risk getting in a free-for-all just to make the playoffs in a short season if you can help it.

This is what I'm saying. Replacing Parise/Sykora with Tedenby/Matteau/Butler. Let's review. Tedenby was gone after 4 games, Matteau should have been gone after 5, and probably would have been if not for the injury of Zubrus. Butler I like the guy, but maybe he's not NHL ready right now.

Now I'd love to blast Lou for this, but maybe that's not fair. Maybe it's the Hucksterbeek owner of this team.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
This team, I don't know..... I mean the Jets second goal (well actually the first one as well) was a ****ing terrible joke. But it wouldn't have likely mattered if this team could hit the ****ing net.

The Jets are garbage. I don't care how many games they have won recently, the team is GARBAGE. They're not a playoff team and it's pretty depressing that the Devils are losing to a team like this. NJ isn't playing anywhere up to their standard and they could have easily won this game if they weren't such bums in terms of finishing.

Without question, these last two losses have been miserable. If this isn't the low point of their current play, the next two months are going to suck horribly.

garbage? how can you call down a team then point out how much theyve won recently?

were not a great team by any stretch of the imagination. but weve won 5 of the last 6... 4 on the road. and pretty all but two of the games we lost were by one goal... were not contenders, but they can play with anyone, its comical how lightly ppl take them.

anyways, sorry for that off topic rant. entertaining game, there was a good chunk of the second and third where the devils forecheck wreaked havoc and had us pinned in our end. a few more shots hit the target and you probably come out with the win. the system you play is very effective, a bit more consistency and production from your top players and i think itl all be back on track. hopefully it happens soon.

cheers

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like I said in the trade thread if Clarkson walks something needs to be done. No signing guys for league minimum like we did Butler, or calling up someone for a training camp tryout or other BS. We need help on the UFA market. PERIOD!

This was my biggest worry losing Parise. Not losing Parise per se, but losing Parise and not replacing him with anything competent. His replacement at first was supposed to be Matoothless Tedenbust. Parise's replacement lasted all of about 4 games.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
in the last 6 losses we lost to the following Goal Keepers:
Nabokov (1 Goal- Defenseman)
Bishop (1 Goal)
Holtby (1 goal)
Pavelec (2 goals)
Pavelec (1 goal)

6 goals against some pretty ****** goalies..

JMarce

Feb 4, 2012
Everyone check your couches for loose change tonight, send it to Lou and then maybe we can haz a top 6 winger

bottom 6 needs to be
Poni-Henrique-Zubrus
CBGB
to be competitive in the conference

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nabokov's not a bad goalie he's just stuck in a ****hole. But yeah, that's a pretty unimpressive group. The real funny part is they still haven't been shut out yet. A LOT of ones on the scoreboard but no zeros - yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad