Post-Game Talk: Devils drop another one - lose 3-1 to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
This loss was really frustrating.

Our forwards don't seem to have any poise with the puck. Possession wise, our team is below average to poor. Lokti scored our only goal tonight because of his puck handling ability; he's one of the few who has the puck on a string, in a sense.

If we're looking at simply finding a top six forward via trade, it has to be a player who is good possession-ally. It doesn't have to be a super star trade deadline fish, it just needs to be a solid, tough player who is capable of providing offense, can forecheck well and who is capable of helping the team possess the puck more often. Being good along the boards would help too.

...Did I just describe Zubrus? :(
(Then again, no team can have enough players like him)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
PK looked good, PP has been the abysmal mess it has been for 2 weeks. Forecheck looked much better, and actually alive for the first time in almost 2 weeks.

This kind of a game tells me we need more scoring. We need the 3rd line back to the 4th line. That's one of the biggest problems right now. Whatever is done Loktionov needs to stay put on the 1st line, and be given a lot of ice time.

We need Henrique and Zajac to start hitting the net again. We can't win if our top two centers aren't scoring no matter what kind of trade Lou does.

MountainGoat

this slump will end on Saturday vs Buffalo followed by a win vs the Leafs and Lightning on Monday and Tuesday

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We played a good game, a much better team game.

When it comes down to it, we failed to finish, but we did create a lot of offense.

I will say that I'll admit Matteau had a hell of a game. I will bite my words when I need to and his play was a definite case of that.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Do you think the better team always win ? The Jets are not a good team but they were f'ing opportunistic, good for them.

They were and we played better than lately, but I can't say we were far and away the better team and deserved the win.

Moose needs to stay in the net for one and the D had a lot of issues handling the speed and pressure. Add in a lot and I mean a lot of lost puck battles and you have a loss.

Point at the missed nets all you want but they had just as many missed chances too.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I thought Tallinder was our best player tonight. I liked Kovalchuk and of course Loktionov. Zids had a brutal 1st period.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Moose cost us a point with that flop. But it was a team loss yet again.

Not much else to analyze aside from they stink overall since the Rags game.

It's not fair to blame Moose for this one, but he needs to stop doing his best Marty impression.

However I'm looking for all the ''I feel more confident with Moose than Marty'' people from a couple weeks ago when Moose was red hot. Where you all at?:laugh:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The only way it's worth it to have Zidlicky on the team is if he contributes in the offensive zone. But some of his decision making in that end of the ice has been just dreadful. No easy answers for this team.

Also, can we whine about Zajac yet? Completely invisible. I'm tired of hearing "oh, well he's only been on the ice for 1 ES goal against." He's getting paid to play in all three zones. All three.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I'll tell you what though, that hot start at the start of the season is honestly saving this team's hide right now. Without those points we were stockpiling, we would be in a world of hurt right now. Bright side!

NBC Hockey

Mar 13, 2009
I feel like this game was a step in the right direction. I don't know, it was honestly just a lack of finish this time around. We had the opportunities, only let in 2 goals, didn't let the Jets score on a 5 on 3...

I remember watching many games like this last year. This team goes through slumps where seemingly everybody is snake bitten at the same time. So, hopefully we can survive it and end it soon and start getting some more points.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Moose cost us a point with that flop. But it was a team loss yet again.

Not much else to analyze aside from they stink overall since the Rags game.

He has made one egregious blunder in each of the last 3 losses - getting caught behind the net, coming out too far in front of the net, and the flop tonight. Love Moose, but we need Marty back pronto in good form.

I wish every game was played against our division rivals......

Frankly, if we continue to pull off wins against them, I wouldn't mind these losses to non-division 'beatable' teams as much.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need Henrique and Zajac to start hitting the net again. We can't win if our top two centers aren't scoring no matter what kind of trade Lou does.

Well no doubt this team has enough firepower to score more than a goal a game against the Jets. No doubt about that.

However CBGB as the 3rd line is a no go. That's worn out it's welcome, that's really lost it's luster.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Lou should have signed Semin when he had the chance. Would have been a perfect addition

Why on earth do you assume that Semin wanted to come here but didn't because Lou didn't make an offer? He probably never even gave NJ a sniff. These kind of statements are so ridiculous...

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Why on earth do you assume that Semin wanted to come here but didn't because Lou didn't make an offer? He probably never even gave NJ a sniff. These kind of statements are so ridiculous...

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that if Lou gave Semin 1 year 7 million he would have chosen NJD over CAR

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
They were and we played better than lately, but I can't say we were far and away the better team and deserved the win.

Moose needs to stay in the net for one and the D had a lot of issues handling the speed and pressure. Add in a lot and I mean a lot of lost puck battles and you have a loss.

Point at the missed nets all you want but they had just as many missed chances too.

The forecheck was ok, we spent a lot of time in their defensive zone, we had great scoring chance. Some guys are still shaky, Henrique is slumping bad too but play the same game and 7 times out of 10, we're getting 2 pts.

This Jets team reminds me a lot Florida, they're ok to give the possession away, very opportunistic, fast team.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

How do you know he didn't wanna go to Jersey? A lot of you have been saying this, and I'm finally jumping a board now. Lou didn't do a good job at putting together the team he iced this year. The Lokti, and Poni trades were good though.

On the other hand maybe it's the ownerships fault. Back in the day Lou would never let a star player walk, and not cover his ass with at least a decent replacement. Even though it usually wasn't as good, but it got us by. When Niedermayer left he made some bad signing with McGillis, and Matvichuk, and Malakhov. He didn't just try to promote David Hale though. When Martin left he went big, and signed Volchenkov, and Tallinder on 07/01/10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad