Post-Game Talk: Devils drop another one - lose 3-1 to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That sounds about right. A move will have to be made sooner or later. I'm getting tired of ''This guy should sit next game, no he should sit next game, no that cone should sit next game''.

I'm not saying people shouldn't say that either cause I'm saying the same things too dammit! Now if we got someone out of here though we wouldn't need to do this after every game, and wondering who will or will not be in the lineup next game on D.

I'm willing to give up Urbom, and Burlon too in a package to get a forward. I consider those guys expendable when we got Merrill, Gelinas, Scarlett, Severson, Am I missing anybody yet?:laugh: And the hope that some of our veteran defensemen like Greene, and Fayne stick around. Fayne isn't really a veteran, but by that time he will be.

I do agree with this because the merry-go-round of Dmen is not helping anything. One of them needs to go, and another forward would be good for depth reasons alone

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
two things.....when push comes to shove, the depth of the devils is just so weak up front. and i am astonished at how bad they are defensively too, that is the one thing i would have thought to be a constant strong point. yes they were better defensively tonight, but at the same time the offense? yowzers, but looking at the depth its not surprising. somethings gotta give at some point here for hope because the free-fall continues.

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
You guys are nuts. This was a winnable game where they gave up like 20 shots. Kane was awesome and some Devils failed to convert. I think they turn it around this weekend.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

DeBoer didn't sound happy with Butler after the game. “You sit guys for different reasons. You guys can figure that out.â€

Bobby Butler played just one shift in 3rd period, two in second period -- 6:50 of ice time for game.

Well looks like Butler is out for the next game, and Barch is back in. If I had to guess.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

DeBoer didn't sound happy with Butler after the game. “You sit guys for different reasons. You guys can figure that out.â€

Bobby Butler played just one shift in 3rd period, two in second period -- 6:50 of ice time for game.

Well looks like Butler is out for the next game, and Barch is back in. If I had to guess.

Depends if he puts CBGB back. Could do Poni-Carter-Matteau if he wanted to and keep the other 3 lines as is.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Depends if he puts CBGB back. Could do Poni-Carter-Matteau if he wanted to and keep the other 3 lines as is.

Yeah that's if Carter is back Saturday I guess Butler is out. Can we just stop playing Barch every night though? It's not a big deal if he plays some games against these teams, but as I keep saying. It shouldn't be a prerequisite to play him almost every game. It sure wasn't tonight.

Sinner Devil

Jun 13, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Just finished watching the game, our guys are just not finishers right now. Henrique had a good game but that's probably the 5th open net he's missed wide.

Clarkson has been invisible the past 2 weeks it seems. On a side note Loki looked pretty good on top line and Kovy looked good.

Not completely worried yet but Travis and Henrique need to fine the twine here soon....

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah that's if Carter is back Saturday I guess Butler is out. Can we just stop playing Barch every night though? It's not a big deal if he plays some games against these teams, but as I keep saying. It shouldn't be a prerequisite to play him almost every game. It sure wasn't tonight.

I'd imagine Carter will play since he practiced today and sounds close.

If Pete thinks Butler needs to be benched we really don't have any other option right now other then Barch. Where we miss Zubs right now, and would be good to unload one of these dmen so we can bench a forward if needed.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
“If we play the way we played tonight, we’ll snap put of it,” Patrik Elias said. “We’ll get chances and get goals. You know how it is. When you can’t score goal and you’re losing those games, you start squeezing the stick a bit tighter. We had our opportunities. I had a couple around the net, Travis (Zajac) and Rico (Adam Henrique) had a breakaway at the end there. We’ve just go to bury those.” -

positive pat

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
“If we play the way we played tonight, we’ll snap put of it,” Patrik Elias said. “We’ll get chances and get goals. You know how it is. When you can’t score goal and you’re losing those games, you start squeezing the stick a bit tighter. We had our opportunities. I had a couple around the net, Travis (Zajac) and Rico (Adam Henrique) had a breakaway at the end there. We’ve just go to bury those.” -

positive pat

thing to me is that patty wouldnt blow smoke out of his ass, he tells it like it is. either way though, confidence is everything and you can tell that the devils have virtually none right now (whereas you could see the jets are riding high)

Sinner Devil

Jun 13, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Another thing id rather be struggling at this point of the season and start getting hot again at the end.... The Blackhawks are the opposite and might cool down quite a bit once playoffs come around..

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't remember Henrique scoring a breakaway in many many attempts. I remember two in the same game against the Jets last year including an overtime winner.

I remember him missing or being stopped on a lot since them. He had a couple in game 7 vs Florida, and a few in the Philly series off the top of my head.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another thing id rather be struggling at this point of the season and start getting hot again at the end.... The Blackhawks are the opposite and might cool down quite a bit once playoffs come around..

There were some who thought we were peaking to early before. Guess we aren't peaking to early. :laugh: Turn around a bit and stay afloat, and get hot again sometime in March.

Also get Weiss.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tallinder, Burlon, and Urbom for Weiss. I'd consider a later round pick too. Burlon, and Urbom are meh. Not bad, but expendable.

Don't flame me I'm just thinking too much. Does anyone think there is a slight possibility that Matteau can be used for a trade somewhere down the road? Obviously not for Weiss or a rental, but for something a little more long term? What do you think? It's worth discussing at least.

DevilChuk*

Well, good job Devils.. we just completely wasted our great start to the season and are now right back in the battle for seeds 6-8. 4 points over the Rangers with only a game in hand.. they pass us within the next two weeks if we continue playing this terribly. Then we're sitting pretty outside the playoffs.

Beyond me how the Islanders, an injured Senators, Capitals and Jets team can completely demolish us but things aren't going to magically just get better. Have to step it up big time.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well, good job Devils.. we just completely wasted our great start to the season and are now right back in the battle for seeds 6-8. 4 points over the Rangers with only a game in hand.. they pass us within the next two weeks if we continue playing this terribly. Then we're sitting pretty outside the playoffs.

Beyond me how the Islanders, an injured Senators, Capitals and Jets team can completely demolish us but things aren't going to magically just get better. Have to step it up big time.
I think my theory is holding up well that the Devils don't come to play against the teams lesser than them. That's why we get blown out by the Isles, and a struggling Caps team, but can come back against the Flyers, and beat the Pens 2 games in a row. They don't play close to a complete game against those teams. The fact that up until tonight our PK has been non existent the last 2 weeks wasn't helping. Going from 8th in the league to 25th in just over 2 weeks.

Tonight the effort was a lot better. Came to play, and it was closer to 60 minute effort than anything the last 2 weeks that we've been seeing. However the team was asleep on the opening faceoff there. That's one shift that I think this team really wanted back tonight.

apice3*

We've been held to 1 goal in four of the last 6 games - by Nabakov, Bishop, Holtby, and Pavelec.

We need a forward. And a bounce to go our way. That second goal by Winnipeg was such terrible luck. Greene had that thing cleared but his stick got caught.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We've been held to 1 goal in four of the last 6 games - by Nabakov, Bishop, Holtby, and Pavelec.

We need a forward. And a bounce to go our way. That second goal by Winnipeg was such terrible luck. Greene had that thing cleared but his stick got caught.

Nabokov 3.05 GAA. 899 save percentage. Bishop 2.17 GAA, 935 save percentage , Holtby 3.26 GAA, 899 save percentage. Pavelec 2.82 GAA, 901 save percentage.

Nabokov, and Pavelec are good goalies, but their defenses suck. Holtby has been better than his numbers, but the Caps have been playing Johnny Mac defense under Oates. Pavelec plays behind the worst PK in the league. Hard to believe after these last two games. I'd say his even strength save percentage is much better, and his shorthanded save percentage has hurt his numbers. Just like it has for our goalies.

Regardless feed me a stray cat would say these numbers would suggest all of these goaltenders have been below average aside from Bishop!:laugh:

Ryan Miller somehow has like a 915 save percentage on that horrible joke of a BuffaLOL team.

apice3*

People are gonna look at the standings and start to panic.

A little comfort:

We're TWO points behind the Penguins for 2nd place in the East, with TWO games in hand.

We're TWO points behind the Leafs for 6th place in the East, with THREE games in hand.

We're THREE points behind the Sens for 5th place in the East, with TWO games in hand.

The 9-seed is THREE points behind us, having played THREE more games.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

A little comfort:

We're TWO points behind the Penguins for 2nd place in the East, with TWO games in hand.

We're TWO points behind the Leafs for 6th place in the East, with THREE games in hand.

We're THREE points behind the Sens for 5th place in the East, with TWO games in hand.

Senators only have one game in hand, and Leafs only have two. Though NHL.com doesn't have us updated right now which is very strange. Says we've only played 19 games, and lost just 2 in a row. We've really played 20, and lost 3 in a row.

DevilChuk*

A little comfort:

Eh.. 10th seed Rangers are four points behind with one less game.. so not as comforting as the Flyers considering they'll soon pass them.

and yea, for some reason.. NHL.com isn't showing that tonight's game existed for either us or the Jets (did give them the points and us the loss though, just not in GP).

DevilChuk*

And regardless, don't need the standings to tell me it's time to start worrying/panicking.

We've lost 5 of 6..

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have this cushion thanks to the early winning/point streaks we had. Though I'd say Buffalo is a MUST WIN.

A horrible Buffalo team that's in rough shape right now, in a horrible condition and is playing piss poor right now. Sounds like another team we played recently like the Caps?

Buffalo got two wins in a row in a low scoring game over an inconsistent Tampa Bay, and a horrible Florida team almost as bad as them. With Scott frickin Clemmensen giving up all three goals they scored, and Jose frickin Theodore blanking them for over 45 minutes until the shootout,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad