Post-Game Talk: Devils drop another one - lose 3-1 to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

apice3*

NHL.com didn't update our games played, but has up-to-the-minute wins/losses. Clowns.

Point remains, we're closer to 2nd place than 9th place and we have games in hand on a lot of teams.

DevilChuk*

NHL.com didn't update our games played, but has up-to-the-minute wins/losses. Clowns.

Point remains, we're closer to 2nd place than 9th place and we have games in hand on a lot of teams.

How about that team in 10th place who is only 4 points behind with a game in hand..

NHL.com just updated though.

apice3*

How about that team in 10th place who is only 4 points behind with a game in hand..

NHL.com just updated though.

4 points is a lot right now.

Perspective: we're only 5 points behind 2nd place in the NHL.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Buffalo has back to backs with us, and then the Rangers on Sunday. They might use Miller one game, and Enroth the next.

However with the way this team is struggling right now and not knowing who the hell is gonna show up, facing a backup right now scares the **** out of me. When this team faces a backup especially in a slump like this it's never a good thing. It should be a fresh breath of relief, but it usually ends up in the worst way possible.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
What's with the Jersey commentators pretty much giving Kane a verbal bj thoughout the game? You'd think that Kane was the second coming of Mario Lemieux listening to these guys :laugh:, Kane is good but not that good.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
What's with the Jersey commentators pretty much giving Kane a verbal bj thoughout the game? You'd think that Kane was the second coming of Mario Lemieux listening to these guys :laugh:, Kane is good but not that good.

our commentators suck, especially when the team is losing.

they will praise the opposition until the end of time. sometimes, it feels like i am watching the other team's broadcast.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

They've been giving verbal bj's to a lot of opposing players. Last time we played the Isles they were gushing over Tavares all night. Who just happened to score a hat trick on us that night too. Kane has been burning us the last two games though.

DevilChuk*

4 points is a lot right now.

Perspective: we're only 5 points behind 2nd place in the NHL.

That's great.. but you're ignoring the only perspective that really matters..

How we're playing right now. Which isn't well.

Losing 5 of 6 doesn't become okay because we're still in a playoff spot.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Losing 5 of 6 to teams that allow 3 goals a game is not a good trend either. How come after years of getting brick walled by Lundqvist we can make him look so bad? Our defense can hold off teams like the Flyers, and Pens. Then we get blown out by the Isles, and Caps of all teams. We make Holtby look like Hasek of course. When the Flyers get to him they make the Caps ''First ever playing time in the NHL'' backup make a fool out of Holtby after getting pulled.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This team is just gonna need more scoring soon enough. Eventually we gotta see if we could get something decent for Tallinder, and unload some of our more expendable defensemen in the AHL.

This ''D'' depth isn't really helping right now. In fact it's pretty damn annoying to be honest. I'm really starting to wonder if re signing Salvador was the best thing. A lot of people do not think so, but it's more about his contract from what most people have talked about. If he walks then we only have 7 defensemen with just 6 NHL guys, and not 7 like what we have now. I have a soft spot for him wanting to come back though.

Now though I can tell you this. If Salvador decides in 2015 that he isn't done yet I'm sure we will re sign him another year and he ends his career a Devil. He'll turn 40 years old in the 15/16 season. Barring a disastrous regression I think we'll keep him until he says he's done.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Games in hand and how many points we're behind are irrelevant to me. What matters is that it's been about I'd venture to say 8 games since the Devils have played a good game. If they were playing good hockey but still losing, then that's a different story all together. Not in this case though. It's been a really tough stretch with ****** game after ****** game.

Today was awful. Scoring 1 goal a game isn't going to cut it anymore and some guys need to start showing up and burying their chances. I still can't believe Dustin ****ing Byfuglien managed to beat, I think Greene, on that last goal. The guy is 500 ****ing pounds for ****s sake. Just an infuriating game all around.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Games in hand and how many points we're behind are irrelevant to me. What matters is that it's been about I'd venture to say 8 games since the Devils have played a good game. If they were playing good hockey but still losing, then that's a different story all together. Not in this case though. It's been a really tough stretch with ****** game after ****** game.

Today was awful. Scoring 1 goal a game isn't going to cut it anymore and some guys need to start showing up and burying their chances. I still can't believe Dustin ****ing Byfuglien managed to beat, I think Greene, on that last goal. The guy is 500 ****ing pounds for ****s sake. Just an infuriating game all around.
This was sadly the best game we've played since their Flyers game. We played like **** in the first Caps game too, but only won because of the 5 on 3. And it took how many PP opportunities, and another 5 on 3 before we scored? The Ottawa game wasn't so bad, but it was like this game. We kept the goals against down, but where the **** was the offense?

This 3rd period trend is also disturbing. Last year we struggled to hold leads in the 3rd period. This year we struggle to hold ties in the 3rd period. At least the last 5 games. The only game on this stretch where we didn't give up a 3rd period goal was the first Washington game. We came out tied in the second game against them and gave up 4 goals. We came out down by 1 last game against Winnipeg, and gave up a goal. We came out against Ottawa up by a goal, and gave one up in the 3rd.

Aside from the two in the first Washington game when have we scored a goal in the 3rd period? The Flyers game?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I wonder why Pete DeBoer was so down on Butler's game, I thought he was fine, was inches from scoring a goal midway through the 2nd

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
I kinda saw this coming after the Pens b2b wins...i saw a long string of games against 'weaker' teams and i totally cringed. I can't understand how weak teams manhandle us yet when it comes to the big teams we bring it. At this point i don't know if lou should even bother going for a top 6 winger...it's not going to help if the team is just not clicking at all. You might say we're kinda thin due to injury but so is the rest of the league, we gotta step it up and we gotta do it saturday.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Last year we were ok without Zajac. Now with the surprising addition of Loki and Zajac back there's no reason to believe we shouldn't compete. The main problem is not to replace Parise but to get 2 of our top 6 forwards out of their slump. I'm not sure whether my numbers are correct but iirc something like 2 pts combined in the last 8 games from both Henrique and Zajac is just not enough.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Swap DeBoer with Jmac and our record for the last 10 played are explainable. From top seed into a bubble team, not too bad.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's great.. but you're ignoring the only perspective that really matters..

How we're playing right now. Which isn't well.

Losing 5 of 6 doesn't become okay because we're still in a playoff spot.

Nobody is saying it's "okay" to lose 5 out of 6 games. Just that's it's a hell of a lot better to be doing it while they're only a few points out of the division/conference lead than to do it when they're a few points out of the playoffs.

Is it concerning the way they've played? Yes. But is it really surprising? It seems like every season they go through at least one stretch where they can't score. And when they can't score it puts more pressure on the defense/goaltending, which just magnifies their mistakes. When the puck starts going in (and it will) the rest of their game should start falling back into place.

Let's not forget that this team was a bubble playoff team last year until they got hot at the end of the season, going 7-1-1 down the stretch.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec

That pissed me off last night. They were praising Kane when there was a double penalty (Which led to a WPG goal). Did they even mention what the penalties were?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I honestly didn't check any previous post's, so here's my resume...

We played our best game since Philly, our defense looked way better whitout Volchenkov in the lineup, we had multiple chances to win that game but failed to capitalise on several scoring chances and it's pretty evident that we need to make a move to add some secondary scoring.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

Ya it happens a lot on MSG+2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad