Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I wonder what the rules for development camp are now for NCAA-bound players given the rule changes over there the past few years; do they still have to pay their own way?

Reactions: The Grinder

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
That being said, I do not want Henrique at all unless he takes a SUPER cheap contract. He seems pretty washed at this point, but would welcome him on the 4th line if he gets paid like one.
he tied his career high in points and scored 24 goals on a terrible team this season in what world is that “washed?”

I wonder what the rules for development camp are now for NCAA-bound players given the rule changes over there the past few years; do they still have to pay their own way?
i don’t think they do. i’m not positive but I believe college players have attended in recent years. wasn’t casey there the past 2 seasons?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don’t understand the anger toward palat. Just pretend Jack makes 9 and Nico makes 8.25 if you really need to cheer up about it. He’s the one guy on the team I would rely on to win a board battle with his body. He was paid to be a vet leader and perform in the playoffs. We have gotten him there once and he came exactly as advertised.

The anger is not towards Palat, it's towards the deal.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
The Palat conversation is so old. Hes overpaid by 1.5 maybe 2 million tops. He is statistically one of our best analytic players, hes incredible in board battles which is something our team desperately sucks at and hes good defensively. We all want vet leadership and hes one of them who has been there and won, he had a huge playoffs against NYR last season. (Game Winning goal Game 5, Game winning Play / Assist in Game 7)

If we didnt have him we are paying 5/6 million for his replacement anyway

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I don't understand the hate for Palat. You guys act like he's Johnsson. Palat is still a useful player and you quickly forget he's one of the main reasons we made it to the 2nd round in the playoffs. Sure he's not a top line player & the case can be made he gets injured often but when he's healthy he's a net positive not a negative. He's slightly overpaid but with the cap going up its not a big deal. We aren't overpaying by that much. His last year can be bought out. He fills a role that many on our roster lack. Just remember, if not for Palat & McLeod we lose to the Rangers.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I would guess that players would still have to pay for camp; I don’t think NIL changes that.

On the flip side, I think teams could now pay the player for autographs, appearances, and merchandise so you can probably figure out a way to pay the player back that is above board.

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
Disclaimer I'm still bitter over the Markstrom trade.

How do we fix our D group? Unless Nemec and Hughes start hitting the gym soon, I think we really set us back with the defensive side of the rink.

Before anyone goes apesh*t on me about Bahl, Bahl was only going to get better. Even if he plautued, his intangibles are not duplicated in the current core nor I know of in the pipeline we have in defense, if anything, it gets smaller. Not to mention the cost control was advantages to us.

Now it appears we'd have to spend more assets or capital to put a patchwork up together.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
i don’t think they do. i’m not positive but I believe college players have attended in recent years. wasn’t casey there the past 2 seasons?
College players could always attend but they had to pay their own way and avoid anything that might run afoul NCAA compensation from teams.

Other players didn’t have to pay to attend and could participate in any activity.

Reactions: Triumph

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Disclaimer I'm still bitter over the Markstrom trade.

How do we fix our D group? Unless Nemec and Hughes start hitting the gym soon, I think we really set us back with the defensive side of the rink.

Before anyone goes apesh*t on me about Bahl, Bahl was only going to get better. Even if he plautued, his intangibles are not duplicated in the current core nor I know of in the pipeline we have in defense, if anything, it gets smaller. Not to mention the cost control was advantages to us.

Now it appears we'd have to spend more assets or capital to put a patchwork up together.

so Bahl was only going to get better/stronger, but Nemec and Luke aren't?

Bahl barely used his size at all. He might as well have been 6' instead of 6'7''.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
he tied his career high in points and scored 24 goals on a terrible team this season in what world is that “washed?”

He shot around 18% this year. And he's going to be 35 this season.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
He shot around 18% this year. And he's going to be 35 this season.
He’s always shot for a high percentage though because he has a very good shot and has very good shot selection. It might drop but scoring 51 points is not any sign of slowing down. you’re just making that up because of his age

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
College players could always attend but they had to pay their own way and avoid anything that might run afoul NCAA compensation from teams.

Other players didn’t have to pay to attend and could participate in any activity.
right but most college players did not. now they’re not prohibited from receiving compensation and this should fall under that

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
after witnessing last night fitz better f***ing deliver something good soon
I just went to the grocery store to pick up a couple things and while I was checking out I ran into a bartender from the pub I frequent...he goes haven't seen you in a while thought for sure you would've stopped by last night to watch the Cup...I said no, trying to stay on the straight and narrow for a while...we talked about McDavid and Tkachuk and the series for a few seconds.

Then he goes what do you think about all this Catlyn Clark stuff...I said who's that? The former Bruce Jenner?

I not lying when I tell you there were at least 5 audible laughs from people around us that I had no idea were listening...

Moral of the story be careful people are listening.

if i were to be careful i might as well be a mute

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
He’s always shot for a high percentage though because he has a very good shot and has very good shot selection. It might drop but scoring 51 points is not any sign of slowing down. you’re just making that up because of his age
He had his best season arguably ever at 34. I am going to bet heavily against that re-occuring at age 35 and beyond.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t even care about the deal, except to the extent I’m just disappointed we’ve only gotten third line production in the FIRST two years of the deal and the so called leadership didn’t do jack to prevent one of the most disappointing years in franchise history.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
what "production" would be okay in your mind? He has 54 pts in 120 games in NJ, plus 7 points in 12 playoff games. So 61 pts in 132 total games. 0.46 ppg.

If he was at 0.6 ppg would that be good enough? Another ~10 points (over 82 games)? Is that what we're haggling over here?

Or, asked another way, what AAV would you be okay with Palat making?
dude relax :laugh: i said earlier that his production isn’t far off from his production over the last 5ish years. i also said earlier that he’s overpaid by about $2m, which isn’t the end of the world. but seeing people justify it because of his leadership or presence or whatever intangible thing is getting tiring.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
dude relax :laugh: i said earlier that his production isn’t far off from his production over the last 5ish years. i also said earlier that he’s overpaid by about $2m, which isn’t the end of the world. but seeing people justify it because of his leadership or presence or whatever intangible thing is getting tiring.

But we know he is overpaid. Essentially every guy that gets a contract as a UFA is overpaid. That is just the nature of the sport.

Reactions: My3Sons

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
The deal is what it is at this point. It’s not good but it’s also not really hurting anything since it was signed so I just don’t see the point of spinning our wheels over it. I’ve liked palat since his early days in Tampa, I think he gets too much criticism here. He should be scoring more, but he does other things well that most of the team does not. He’s the type of player we need more of to fill out the depth, and I like having palat around until we absolutely need to offload him in ~2 years. I try not to get too bogged down on contracts unless they’re like twice as much as they should be. 1.5 million as a UFA I do not really care about when the cap is going up by more than double that this year alone.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
so Bahl was only going to get better/stronger, but Nemec and Luke aren't?

Bahl barely used his size at all. He might as well have been 6' instead of 6'7''.

Yeah, but he had that one single shift like 9 months ago in preseason where he crushed like 3 guys! He might have eventually done that again if we gave him enough time!

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Thinking out loud, but similar cap hits - DAL needs D help.

If we do get Pesce would you swap Marino for Marchment !? Hockey trade. Big dude, hits a ton super physical and great infront of the net. 22 goals this year - 20 goal pace in 3 straight years now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad