Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don’t think it’s worth this much anger but the point of good contracts isn’t to make up for the savings with bad ones. I’d rather have the 6M in cap space but it is what it is and he has value.

you'd have $6 million in cap space but you'd have yet another need you'd need to fill.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
you'd have $6 million in cap space but you'd have yet another need you'd need to fill.
Ya and you should be able to find a better player to fill that need with that money. Or a comparable player for less, That’s whole point. And then maybe you have more money to spend on another need.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Ya and you should be able to find a better player to fill that need with that money. Or a comparable player for less, That’s whole point. And then maybe you have more money to spend on another need.

Take a look at what some of these third liners are going to get next week and then get back to me. Yeah, maybe you can find a comparable guy for $4-$4.5 million, but will that guy have the experience of Palat? How about the locker room leadership?

Its just weird to me so many of you are stuck on this, but I guess that is what this place is for.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Take a look at what some of these third liners are going to get next week and then get back to me. Yeah, maybe you can find a comparable guy for $4-$4.5 million, but will that guy have the experience of Palat? How about the locker room leadership?

Its just weird to me so many of you are stuck on this, but I guess that is what this place is for.
You replied to a comment that had the phrases "I don’t think it’s worth this much anger" and "but it is what it is and he has value," to bait him into defending it and then ask why he is stuck on it......

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The locker room leadership thing re: Palat seems a BIT overrated after these last two years tbh. He was on the IR when we had our big winning streak to break out two years ago and he was nowhere to be found despite being around when the team continually ****ed the pooch this year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I thought we liked analytics? Palat’s are strong. Stronger than Chandler Stephenson.

1719326549200.gif

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
yeah i don't really care about the palat leadership thing. honestly i'd rather have better production than tony robbins, especially for that price.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yeah i don't really care about the palat leadership thing. honestly i'd rather have better production than tony robbins, especially for that price.

what "production" would be okay in your mind? He has 54 pts in 120 games in NJ, plus 7 points in 12 playoff games. So 61 pts in 132 total games. 0.46 ppg.

If he was at 0.6 ppg would that be good enough? Another ~10 points (over 82 games)? Is that what we're haggling over here?

Or, asked another way, what AAV would you be okay with Palat making?

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Palat is probably just overpaid by a million. You aren't signing free agents at discounts most of the time. That being said, I do not want Henrique at all unless he takes a SUPER cheap contract. He seems pretty washed at this point, but would welcome him on the 4th line if he gets paid like one.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

We may be able to get a better player for 4-4.5 and his leadership and experience isn’t worth that much. It’s a bad contract any way you slice it. Not the end of the world, the only reason I responded at all was because of the oh we have good contracts that make up for it comment. That’s not a good way of looking at it. They are separate deals and good deals don’t make bad deals better.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
We may be able to get a better player for 4-4.5 and his leadership and experience isn’t worth that much. It’s a bad contract any way you slice it. Not the end of the world, the only reason I responded at all was because of the oh we have good contracts that make up for it comment. That’s not a good way of looking at it. They are separate deals and good deals don’t make bad deals better.
You are never getting a player of Palat's caliber/pedigree for 4-4.5 on the open market.

Reactions: Guadana and Triumph

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just went to the grocery store to pick up a couple things and while I was checking out I ran into a bartender from the pub I frequent...he goes haven't seen you in a while thought for sure you would've stopped by last night to watch the Cup...I said no, trying to stay on the straight and narrow for a while...we talked about McDavid and Tkachuk and the series for a few seconds.

Then he goes what do you think about all this Catlyn Clark stuff...I said who's that? The former Bruce Jenner?

I not lying when I tell you there were at least 5 audible laughs from people around us that I had no idea were listening...

Moral of the story be careful people are listening.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Yeah, if we can get Pesce for long term at $5 million and change on the open market, I'd be more than fine with that. Not sure how realistic it is, but that appears to be perfectly reasonable.
That sounds like a pipe dream, I'm down for it though.

I just went to the grocery store to pick up a couple things and while I was checking out I ran into a bartender from the pub I frequent...he goes haven't seen you in a while thought for sure you would've stopped by last night to watch the Cup...I said no, trying to stay on the straight and narrow for a while...we talked about McDavid and Tkachuk and the series for a few seconds.

Then he goes what do you think about all this Catlyn Clark stuff...I said who's that? The former Bruce Jenner?

I not lying when I tell you there were at least 5 audible laughs from people around us that I had no idea were listening...

Moral of the story be careful people are listening.
People watching is a top tier activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad